What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I picked up some 4064 for .30-06 and .223/5.56. I’ve never used it, but it was on sale and I figured, what the heck? Any feedback on the 4064?
I've used 4064 for 30-06 and some others. I like it, but I think I prefer IMR4895 slightly. I think 4064 if I recall did particularly well for me in 8mm Mauser.

Varget I think is still my all around favorite, but for "fun" rounds it's not as economical.
Hopefully that new Shooter's Outpost near my house will open up soon, should be a great opportunity to get a couple powders now and then since the owner mentioned he could stock a few powders after our requests.

One vendor I buy from is doing a 10% off 5.56/223 components sale, so I picked up some 55gr 224 bullets for 6 cents each shipped. I'm thinking there's no real limit on me stocking those.

I do want to get some more .311/.312 bullets.

I've used 4064 for 30-06 and some others. I like it, but I think I prefer IMR4895 slightly. I think 4064 if I recall did particularly well for me in 8mm Mauser.

Varget I think is still my all around favorite, but for "fun" rounds it's not as economical.
Hopefully that new Shooter's Outpost near my house will open up soon, should be a great opportunity to get a couple powders now and then since the owner mentioned he could stock a few powders after our requests.

One vendor I buy from is doing a 10% off 5.56/223 components sale, so I picked up some 55gr 224 bullets for 6 cents each shipped. I'm thinking there's no real limit on me stocking those.

let me know if you find any deals, even soft points. I have not seen any "cheap" prices since the old wideners days with PPU 312s bag of 500 for .11 each shipped used up those a while back

I got a lb of H335 for 223 but haven't tried it yet--maybe tonight. Lots of folks were recommending it.

Basically, looking now for a good 7.62 NATO powder. Maybe get more IMR4895? I just feel like I heard BLC2 was made for 308/7.62. Have some Varget on hand, of course, but I like to use that when being "semi-serious." My manual is pretty light on 7.62 loads. I heard a few various Winchester powder recommendations as well.

This reminds me I still have a few pounds of various Shooter's World/Lovex powders. Looks like there's an M80 load for "Match Rifle."

308 Winchester Remington 147 gr M80 Ball 2.750 44.0 2752 48.9 3060 59,671
If its still out there WC846 an be used for basic 762 Nato bulk loading with cheap 147/150 grain bullets. Im not sure what the savings is these days using the surplus/pulled down powders.
just noticed also that Nosler has added 7.62 NATO load data to the on line manual
7.62x51mm NATO Load Data - Nosler

I got a lb of H335 for 223 but haven't tried it yet--maybe tonight. Lots of folks were recommending it.

Basically, looking now for a good 7.62 NATO powder. Maybe get more IMR4895? I just feel like I heard BLC2 was made for 308/7.62. Have some Varget on hand, of course, but I like to use that when being "semi-serious." My manual is pretty light on 7.62 loads. I heard a few various Winchester powder recommendations as well.

This reminds me I still have a few pounds of various Shooter's World/Lovex powders. Looks like there's an M80 load for "Match Rifle."

308 Winchester Remington 147 gr M80 Ball 2.750 44.0 2752 48.9 3060 59,671
I was just poking around at powder prices.
Man its been a while and a decent price jump.
Only checked 3 vendors I general use.
Shooters world is the least expensive at $155 8lbs , the common stuff Varget,4895,RL15 and a few others are $180+ then the rest at around $165. Will have to look into surplus and pulled downs for the bulk stuff to see if worth any savings.
Might sell a few guns and do a little stocking up on components i need for guns I actually shoot.

Loaded my first batch of 45 Colt. (I loaded some years ago for the week or two that I owner a blackhawk) NOE copy of a Lyman 453423 and some IMR PB which I don't have a use for and water to burn up.
I need to bump the powder charge a bit. 6 grains left a sooty case and some unburnt powder. Seems weird for such a fast burning powder but I was on the low end of the spectrum with a lighter that listed bullet weight.

let me know if you find any deals, even soft points. I have not seen any "cheap" prices since the old wideners days with PPU 312s bag of 500 for .11 each shipped used up those a while back
Do you use .310" 123 gr FMJ/SP? Know one vendor with those.

Just loaded my first batch of .45 ACP for my SIL. Loaded 200 rds. with 6.0 gr. CFE Pistol and 230 gr RN (looking for a combo a little more cost friendly).

ETD: removed name of cast bullet.

Last edited:
Also, I'm finally getting around to loading 5.56 NATO for my AR. The HBAR barrel has a 1:7 twist. Any recommendations for affordable projectiles? I've checked some of the sites I use for buying pistol calibers online, and either they have nothing or the prices are high enough that I might as well stay with commercial ammo. However, I do want to get some inventory in case things start to dry up.

Also, I'm finally getting around to loading 5.56 NATO for my AR. The HBAR barrel has a 1:7 twist. Any recommendations for affordable projectiles? I've checked some of the sites I use for buying pistol calibers online, and either they have nothing or the prices are high enough that I might as well stay with commercial ammo. However, I do want to get some inventory in case things start to dry up.
keep shopping there are sales. If your looking to stock up on basic fodder theres 55gn bullets for sale for around .07ea.
the armscor and PPU bullets are ok for the money, after that you getting into the .13+ cents each range. Good match bullets are going to be more.
If your just blasting or looking for "hits on target" vs Xs buy anything you feel is affordable

Midway had a deal on 55 FMJ a few months back, worked out to 5.5 cents each shipped.
I've also managed to snag IMI projectiles for around 6 cents.

Don't know your reloading experience but A word of caution using large stick powder like 4064 in .223/5.56, the case mouth is small and if you are using a powder drop you will very likely have some "bridging" at some point. Personally I wouldn't use it in .223/5.56, there are many better choices of shorter cut stick or ball powders that meter and perform better.

4064 is good for 30.06 but I'd find something else for the .223.

Ok - thanks for the tip. I don’t mind buying a separate powder for the ARs. Is there a powder you can recommend?

All I use for 30-06 and 7.5x55. Aside from trail boss.

I use the lee perfect powder measure with 4064. Meters well.

That’s what I use too. Great tool.

What do you plan to load for?

Mainly .30-06 for deer.

If its still out there WC846 an be used for basic 762 Nato bulk loading with cheap 147/150 grain bullets. Im not sure what the savings is these days using the surplus/pulled down powders.
just noticed also that Nosler has added 7.62 NATO load data to the on line manual
7.62x51mm NATO Load Data - Nosler
I saw WC846 pop up a few times while googling.
Ideally I'd like to standardize on a power or two in order to buy in bulk. Planning to crack open the H335 tonight for some .223 to try out of the 20'' AR next weekend.

I still haven't tried the Shooter's World "Precision Rifle" yet either. Match Rifle and Tactical Rifle worked fine enough although I think my M1 loads for the Match Rifle were nothing to be excited about.

Ok - thanks for the tip. I don’t mind buying a separate powder for the ARs. Is there a powder you can recommend?

Mainly .30-06 for deer.
If just plinking and you want to crank out a bunch of 55 gr 223 quick, H335 meters well and doesn’t bind the powder measure. All I use for 55 gr loads.

Mainly .30-06 for deer.

Mainly .30-06 for deer.
For 30-06 bolt gun your choices are many.
For me H4895 and Varget cover almost every rifle load i use.
If your looking to save money shooters world powders are the least expensive at the moment.

As for plinking fodder for AR 55 gn cheap FMJ random cases and WC844 loaded up in the lee Pro1000 with AutoDrum makes for some inexpensive blasting ammo thats more accurate than M193/855 offerings.

i also use H335 and AR comp and Tac in 223

Im s till working off a powder supply of W844 and primers bought at the same time in a large group buy.
brass =free
Primer 1.8 cents
bullet 5 cents
powder 4 cents

When I run out of that It will be
Brass free
primer 3 cents
powder 8 cents
bullet 6 cents
Fun stuff

Last edited:

It came down to the 4064 and 4895. The reviews I read online were neck to neck on which was the better all-purpose rifle powder. I considered buying a pound of each since the 4064 was on sale, as was the 4895. Unfortunately, there’s only so much room...

For 30-06 bolt gun your choices are many.
For me H4895 and Varget cover almost every rifle load i use.
If your looking to save money shooters world powders are the least expensive at the moment.

As for plinking fodder for AR 55 gn cheap FMJ random cases and WC844 loaded up in the lee Pro1000 with AutoDrum makes for some inexpensive blasting ammo thats more accurate than M193/855 offerings.

i also use H335 and AR comp and Tac in 223

The .223/5.56 is purely for range fun and plinking. Thanks for the tip on Shooter’s World.

It came down to the 4064 and 4895. The reviews I read online were neck to neck on which was the better all-purpose rifle powder. I considered buying a pound of each since the 4064 was on sale, as was the 4895. Unfortunately, there’s only so much room...
for future reference 1 8lb jug takes up less shelf space than 8 1lb jugs [rockon]

Now as far as H4895 goes I really like this powder, it performs well in almost every rifle I own across a wide range of bullet weights and powder charges. It also can be reduced per Hodgdons Directions for some very nice light loads along with some cast bullet application.

I drank the Varget Juice and I also use that a lot for 223/30-06/308/303/8mm

4064 has a good range also but over all it has less performance through the range of guns I load for. Fun stuff
Looking forward to a range report

The .223/5.56 is purely for range fun and plinking. Thanks for the tip on Shooter’s World.
yeah its really dependent on your time to reload. Right now you could stock up on brass cased ammo for under .30 cents per round shipped soooo if I did not have a stash of 223 reloads already Im tempted to just buy factory fodder. Its when you save more loading nice match ammo the pay off shows more.

Although its fun shooting nice groups with .17 cent ammo ...I have a god amount of the hornady 55fmj bulk bullets along with PPU and some remington flat base soft points all will shoot sub 2 moa with out much effort or load development

o ...I have a god amount of the hornady 55fmj bulk bullets along with PPU and some remington flat base soft points all will shoot sub 2 moa with out much effort or load development
[bow]

Powder measure's calibrating now. Going to give H335 a try with my PPU 55gr.

[bow]

Powder measure's calibrating now. Going to give H335 a try with my PPU 55gr.
all I can say is buy as much as you can when you can eventually your pay sort of stops keeping up with the cost of living increases....
6 years ago dropping $1000 or more on reloading supplies was not hard to do now I have to figure out where that $1000 is.... right now my "spending" money is from stuff im selling off around the house!

FWIW, my recent purchase of WC-844 (listed as comparable to H335) was $12.63 /pound. This was a 16 pound purchase and was after various promos. Same vendor has decent pricing on bullets (mostly pulls). A bullet order was also done to get my order to a price point for added promo.
Currently, 50g and 62g bullets (.224" dia. pulls) are priced at 8.5¢ each in 1000 piece lots. This includes shipping (MA orders? Not sure).

Last edited:
I searched for a bit trying to find an answer for this, but obviously to no avail. I have a few cases where I need to take out or somehow fire live primers (no powder or projectiles). These are not cases where I can resize by removing the decapping pin from the sizing die. In one example, early on in my beginning reloading stage I inadvertently used large rifle primers instead of large pistol primers (boxes looked the same). Yes, I have since created a larger separation between the various types of primers, and have safety checks I go through whenever reloading. However, I do have these early "errors" that I would like to get rid of. I would appreciate any thoughts/ideas. Can these be deprimed GENTLY?

Yes.
I have decapped live primers and used them in the correct application many times.
It may not be 100% trustworthy, but I don't recall ever having a failure from this process.

I wouldn't recommend the Lee decap method where you use a hammer and pin punch (pictured below), but rather a press-mounted decapper die where you apply gradual pressure.

If necessary, reload the removed primers in your first batch of range ammo and be done with them and any lingering concerns.

Attachments

• GS335912_570x570_crop_top.jpg
    GS335912_570x570_crop_top.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I searched for a bit trying to find an answer for this, but obviously to no avail. I have a few cases where I need to take out or somehow fire live primers (no powder or projectiles). These are not cases where I can resize by removing the decapping pin from the sizing die. In one example, early on in my beginning reloading stage I inadvertently used large rifle primers instead of large pistol primers (boxes looked the same). Yes, I have since created a larger separation between the various types of primers, and have safety checks I go through whenever reloading. However, I do have these early "errors" that I would like to get rid of. I would appreciate any thoughts/ideas. Can these be deprimed GENTLY?
https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-Decapping-Die/dp/B07PSF7W1H
Never had a problem decapping a live primer with this.

Was just doing this yesterday with the Lee decapping die. Never had one go off so far.

If you just want to make a little noise chamber the empty cases, no powder or Projectile and pop off the primer....
Or just use your press and press them out. Primers need a pretty good impact to go off... slow and sready in reverse of the primer design should be fine. Just as safety is key do this with out any powder around incase one goes off. Wearing eye protection is a plus. If a primer goes of decapping its more than likely just going to scare you a bit.

Back
Top Bottom