• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Just pulled apart 185 out of the 255 rounds I had left from Saturday's match. I already suspected that there were some bad rounds in that batch, and my suspicions were confirmed with a light load that caused my round to stop on Saturday, followed by a squib during the reshoot. 70 left to pull. My hand was about to blister, so I stopped. Didn't see any no powder rounds, but I think there were a couple more light ones. Saturday's squib will join the others (two from a test batch) on a wall of shame plaque that I will make.

Don't buy the Lee Adjustable Charge Bar for the Auto Disk powder measure. It is unreliable for small (<5gr.) charges.
It could also be the powder, example titegroup can clump in the hopper and throw a low charge

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was using Clays which works perfectly fine with the fixed disks. With the adjustable charge bar, a low volume charge would not have the measure centered over the hopper, and that is what leads to the inconsistent charges. Some people had modified theirs by building up the fixed wall of the bar to center a low volume charge, but I would rather not mess with it right now. I got it because I wanted to hit the in between measurements that the fixed volume disks miss.

IMG_20170608_183531_658 (1).jpg Loaded up 200 rounds of 9mm to replace the ammo I fed thru my new S&W 9MM Shield today, then de-capped and primed another 200 to get ready to load some night this week for the next range trip. Still fairly new to all this so I'm taking my time and watching all the powder drops and measuring the COL often just to be confidant that I'm doing it right. So far the loads have all had good results at the range. Added .45 dyes to my inventory last week. Working on re-loading 12 gauge also, but that's still somewhat of a work in progress. Bought the Lee Load-all 2 and been collecting hulls and so far just de-priming and sizing them , I need to buy primers, wads, shot, and powder still.

Last edited:
Loaded 500 rounds of 9mm while the wife is out. Trying to keep up with all the ammo I'm burning through. Sucks working away from home Monday - Thursday and you can't reload.

MA IDPA State Championship tomorrow....going to be interesting in the heat.

Loaded 500 rounds of 9mm while the wife is out. Trying to keep up with all the ammo I'm burning through. Sucks working away from home Monday - Thursday and you can't reload.

MA IDPA State Championship tomorrow....going to be interesting in the heat.

Do you have a trailer hitch. My buddy borrowed a I idea from the internet and his job.
He welded a grinder stand to a trailer ball insert and will reload on that. His work truck has a few other common idea items fashioned the same way.
Vise, small chop saw, lunch table.
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/portable-reloading-bench-idea.533560/

Last edited:
001.jpg
Because loading speed comes up on occasion, here's what I did to 100 pcs. of .223 in 38 minutes on the equipment pictured.
Chamfered primer pockets whether they needed it or not.
Trimmed
Deburred
Measured OAL
That 38 minutes started as I walked through the door and included locating the brass, mounting the trimmer to the bench, finding the deburring machine and locating 3 containers. Had a smoke and emptied the ashtray too. Newer or gonna-be reloaders are often intimidated by the equipment discussed here.
Just shows what a little organization and experience can bring to the table without a huge outlay of cash and time. Those 100 rounds from start to finish, if I kept my nose to the grindstone and batching them up, will take less than an hour's time. (not counting cleaning although for some, including me, would add only a few seconds each as you can wet tumble and dry 500 cases at a time when batched up)

View attachment 200883
Because loading speed comes up on occasion, here's what I did to 100 pcs. of .223 in 38 minutes on the equipment pictured.
Chamfered primer pockets whether they needed it or not.
Trimmed
Deburred
Measured OAL
That 38 minutes started as I walked through the door and included locating the brass, mounting the trimmer to the bench, finding the deburring machine and locating 3 containers. Had a smoke and emptied the ashtray too. Newer or gonna-be reloaders are often intimidated by the equipment discussed here.
Just shows what a little organization and experience can bring to the table without a huge outlay of cash and time. Those 100 rounds from start to finish, if I kept my nose to the grindstone and batching them up, will take less than an hour's time. (not counting cleaning although for some, including me, would add only a few seconds each as you can wet tumble and dry 500 cases at a time when batched up)

dude smokes WHILE he's reloading...classic!

i love it...wish my girlfriend wasn't such a square about me smoking or i'd be doing the same thing.

Do you have a trailer hitch. My buddy borrowed a I idea from the internet and his job.
He welded a grinder stand to a trailer ball insert and will reload on that. His work truck has a few other common idea items fashioned the same way.
Vise, small chop saw, lunch table.
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/portable-reloading-bench-idea.533560/

that's actually a great idea for when I'm at a homesite drill...only problem is it might not be exactly legal for me to have components out of state (CT). we'll see if 'the Don' actually passes that national reciprocity for military law. thought that was supposed to be one of his first acts as president...shoulda saw that coming I guess. good thing I voted libertarian :D

that's actually a great idea for when I'm at a homesite drill...only problem is it might not be exactly legal for me to have components out of state (CT). we'll see if 'the Don' actually passes that national reciprocity for military law. thought that was supposed to be one of his first acts as president...shoulda saw that coming I guess. good thing I voted libertarian :D

nor for nothing but "the don" is going to do what the house lets him do.
same thing happened with obama , only difference is the house wanted these changes. Im not buying the 2 party system any more. they are all on the same team. .Gov
Plus if he just goes passing special treatment for military and LEO hes going to piss off a lot of people who voted for him.

No, I know...I know.

Special treatment would be not putting a target on my back everytime I'm in uniform and forbidden from carrying a firearm for personal protection. I understand civilians should have the same right to national reciprocity (isn't that what the 2nd amendment is about?) but we (military) literally face punishment under the Uniform Code of Military Justice if caught carrying a non-issued firearm or ammunition while on duty. I feel like I'm boogering up this thread with my whining, so I'll leave it at that.

No, I know...I know.

Special treatment would be not putting a target on my back everytime I'm in uniform and forbidden from carrying a firearm for personal protection. I understand civilians should have the same right to national reciprocity (isn't that what the 2nd amendment is about?) but we (military) literally face punishment under the Uniform Code of Military Justice if caught carrying a non-issued firearm or ammunition while on duty. I feel like I'm boogering up this thread with my whining, so I'll leave it at that.

agree...

Loaded up the last 1000 or so 230gr SNS coated .45ACP bullets I had left on Sunday. Time to pack all my reloading stuff up now for the move. Good news is once I'm settled in to the new house, I'll have better lighting and more space :)

I just finished going through my brass bucket. Anyone have interest in once fired .45LC? I'm not looking for cash, but trade for .45ACP. The LC is mix head stamp but all the cases look GTG. I think I have a total of 175.

Made up some Lyman #2 . Dropped some
314299 and Lee 175-324
Plan the .324 to be used in the K98 in up coming CMP vintage match.

TjOC9RVm.jpg

A0eTU4am.jpg

Lyman 457658 Nominally 480 grains. I did not weigh these yet

Freshly sized and freshly patched. Waiting to dry and test the different patch lengths to see what fits the throat.
Thanks 1919FAN for letting me borrow this mould.

Last edited:
Just pulled apart 185 out of the 255 rounds I had left from Saturday's match. I already suspected that there were some bad rounds in that batch, and my suspicions were confirmed with a light load that caused my round to stop on Saturday, followed by a squib during the reshoot. 70 left to pull. My hand was about to blister, so I stopped. Didn't see any no powder rounds, but I think there were a couple more light ones. Saturday's squib will join the others (two from a test batch) on a wall of shame plaque that I will make.

Don't buy the Lee Adjustable Charge Bar for the Auto Disk powder measure. It is unreliable for small (<5gr.) charges.

That is true. Anyone know if the disks work better than the adjustable for <5gr charges? (I bought a Loadmonster with an Autodisk that was missing the disks, so all I've used on it is the adjustable charge bar. World's most frustrating progressive press, but I paid less than $20 for it used with .38 dies and a couple shell plates and die holders.)

Use a Lyman M Die or a Lee universal belling die to just flare the mouth a little. Then seat it as usual and crimp enough to remove the flare.
ASP just modified my patching board so I can align my patch with the edge of the board and use the new T slot fence to butt the nose of the bullet against to give me the same exact patch location every time. I can't wait to use it. He did a hell of a job!
kOP9eo1m.jpg

So I bit the bullet and picked up a sonic cleaner. Talk about night and day compared to dry tumbling! Wish I bought it from the start.

Studies actually show that cleaner brass is less accurate than slightly dirty yet cleaned brass. Just something to think about.

Took a break from reloading 9mm. I had resized/primed/expanded 700 cases last weekend and now I'm getting to charging and seating the bullets. I think I've loaded about 400 rounds now.

Been having a hard time keeping ammo "in stock" with matches every weekend. Wife is gone all night at a wedding so it's a good time to reload....

A quick 200 rounds of four-tay.

Changed my process up. After cleaning brass a few weeks ago, I used OneShot and deprimed and resized all brass (Dillon SDB).

Made the reload process much smoother/faster for me.

Half-assed Cleaning of my reloading area and rebuilding one of my dillion 1050s
Setting up to do a run of 5.56 tracers

Yesterday i sorted brass from links. Im up to 5 5gallon buckets of .223 and since i have 4500 live rounds left i bought for rhis years NES shoots i should be up to 6 or 7 buckets after that's shot off.

I have all the .223 brass ill ever need, ive only got about 250 .308 brass and about 800 live rounds.
I need about 2500 .308 brass before ill set up for reloading .308

With ammo prices coming down its been easy to get lazy and buy .223... with .308@ .60-.80 per round. It make more sense to reload it

Back
Top Bottom