• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Got to chrono some rounds today. My .40 with 4.5 gr of N320 @ 1.135" averaged 163 PF. Just a touch low for major.
Any thoughts if I shorten them to 1.125" ? I had no pressure signs at all with my powder charge but I'm wondering if making them .010" shorter will give me just a bit more velocity. I know pressure will increase slightly too but I think they will be fine. Now if only I didn't have my lefty trigger flinch show up causing me to shoot my damn chrony rod ! Those Zero JHP jackets tear the shit out of a target when they blow apart !

Done that a couple times[laugh]. I even grazed the chrono itself with 357 mag[crying]. Still works but there are some loose parts moving around inside...

Loaded up,some fun loads for the 03A3
110 grain 30 carbine bullets with Varget and tomorrow I will load up some reduced loads with H4895 for some fun water jug blasting with the Jr's.

Used up the remnant of the 311410s and 170g coated GCSil in some 7.62x51mm...

Got to love it... a thousand rounds per pound of powder with the LRNs!

Last edited:

going to give these a run at the next CMP modern military match. out of my 20" A2 1/9 barrel. 60 grain nosler tipped, with IMR8028 XBR. this stuff meters very well. its a stick powder and about half the size of varget or RL15? going to be spray and pray...no to
ime to test until match day.

Last edited:
I loaded a few .455 Webley for the Colt New Service. .454 bullets are too tight to chamber. .452 is better but still a little tight. .450 chambers easily and is as accurate as .452. So far blackpowder is the most accurate but I'd rather use smokeless. I've used Trailboss,Bullseye,Unique and Bluedot so far. Does anybody have any load data for .455 Webley? It's pretty sparse. I tried one powder mfg but they couldn't help.

I painted last night.
That's right: I patched up the spots that were bare from moving the safes around and painted it a sexy grey. It shows off the majestic green of my main safe quite well.

You know you're jelly.

Pulled ~950 38 specials I made a few weeks ago since one of them gave me a squib. The hornady collet puller made this chore pretty easy, god knows how long it would have taken with one of the hammer things. Reloaded and shot 200 of them today and all was good.

Pulled ~950 38 specials I made a few weeks ago since one of them gave me a squib. The hornady collet puller made this chore pretty easy, god knows how long it would have taken with one of the hammer things. Reloaded and shot 200 of them today and all was good.
Just experienced this today with 350 38's.

Did you figure out the issue?

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

I think some powder charges were just really low. I was using HP-38 which is kind of small flakes and doesn't meter amazingly, and just not checking the charge weight often enough I think.

I was doing 3.7 under a 158 PRN which were already super weak (like, so weak they wouldnt knock over the plates on the plate rack).

Last edited:
Added some lighting to the Dillon 650 and loaded up just over 300 9mm. The wet tumbler has been going most of the weekend to get a small mountain of brass cleaned and sorted.

Just painted the reloading room finally.
Might get the flooring tomorrow.
Ordered new windows today. Thats going to be 3 weeks before they're in though

Tumbled a bunch of 44 mag brass. Also noticed this round when I was loading up ammo last night for a quick range trip. Whoops!View attachment 164022

Never done this before but I guess there's a first time for everything. Just had to use my Hornady collet bullet puller, temporarily transfer the powder into a primed case then carefully deprime, recharge and reseat.

Tumbled a bunch of 44 mag brass. Also noticed this round when I was loading up ammo last night for a quick range trip. Whoops!View attachment 164022

Never done this before but I guess there's a first time for everything. Just had to use my Hornady collet bullet puller, temporarily transfer the powder into a primed case then carefully deprime, recharge and reseat.

Yikes![shocked]

Prepping 5.56 cases...

Lots of dirty mixed headstamps. Mostly PPC and some LC. All look crimped. Went to Shooters and picked up Dillon Super Swagie 600. These will be decapped then wet tumbled with pins and some carwash/wax. Picking up a (used) Dillon rapid-trim with .223 die to size/trim. Then swage. You Tube has videos using springs or rubber bands to 'eject' the cases from the swager....we'll see how it goes.[laugh]
Mike

I loaded 500 45acp rounds of 200 gr plated rn over 5.4 gr of HP-38. Then swapped over the press to load some 165 gr jfp 10mm rounds but have to work up some test rounds before I start cranking them out. Should be a good day to head to the range to shoot some test rounds.

Cleaned a whopping 22 pieces of 35 remington brass this morning.
That stuff is hard to find!

Ah well I'm up to 32 pieces now. Enough to scratch the itch at the range.

Anyone else loading 35 remington?

Grabbed 19 pieces of 35 rem brass yesterday that a guy didn't want[shocked]. PM inbound.

Ive got some 375 H&H brass, 7mm magnum, and 7mm-08 brass already cleaned.

Also have 47 pieces of once fired 45 colt brass (Winchester headstamp) and some 7mm Mauser brass.

Anyone loading these?

Last edited:
Cleaned and organized the bench, it tends to catch other projects when i'm not in reloading mode.... put some LED lighting in the cabinet at right, have 500 .300aac converted from LC 5.56 brass, reading just as many posts that suggest annealing it as those that say it isn't necessary.... so i'm trying to parse that....

Need some projectiles for 9x18Mak....

And i need some type of composite raised flooring down there.... had a river flowing by the bench with all the rain we've gotten....

ForumRunner_20160410_120601.jpg

Last edited:

I screwed up and ended up with about 15 of those myself on the first 100 I did last night. I hadn't loaded in a while and realized I left the large primer sleeve in the press and was loading 9mm. doh!! My 8 year old is now pulling bullets for me :). I fixed my error and loaded up 500 correct rounds last night and this AM.

Bought some of the Bayou bullets to test today. Anyone with good/bad experience with them?

I used some 200gr .45ACP and wasnt impressed with them. Im also a noob to reloading but I didnt like the mold they used. I do have some 9mm 115s and 124s that worked well. I have some left if you want to try them. Swapped over to FMJ for my .357SIG projectiles.

Bought some of the Bayou bullets to test today. Anyone with good/bad experience with them?

I used them for 9mm and they seem to shoot fine. Just a tad bit smokier than jacketed bullets and have an interesting smell when you shoot them. Other than that they shot well.

I guess if you buy them in bulk 3500+ you'll save some $. But I get 124 gr JHPs for $89 per 1k shipped.

I use the same coating for my cast boolits and love shooting them.
I shot thousands in everything from light 38s to full house 44s. Very good.

I used them for 9mm and they seem to shoot fine. Just a tad bit smokier than jacketed bullets and have an interesting smell when you shoot them. Other than that they shot well.

I guess if you buy them in bulk 3500+ you'll save some $. But I get 124 gr JHPs for $89 per 1k shipped.

That's a good deal. If I weren't casting I would probably buy those JHP over the cast despite the savings.
Hell of a deal.

I only bought 300 to test them.

Back
Top Bottom