• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

My chrony bit the dust a long time ago, so I can't state what velocities they are running. Mind you, most of my reloads are reduced loads, so I'm only pushing them to at most 1500 fps, I'm guessing.
Without optics, I can barely focus on the front sight, let alone a target beyond 50 yards, so I wouldn't put much faith in any of my accuracy results.
I can say that I initially ran some plain-based .30-30 LRNFP in the K31 when I first started reloading and couldn't hit a B-27 target at 50 yards. My brother suggested I slow them down and bam, they printed right where I was aiming.
In other words, you'll have to try them and figure it out for yourself, I guess.
Off the top of my head, I think the 150 gr PFNs that I have boxed up are filled with 12.5gr of Lil Gun.

The flat-nose doesn't always favor fast cycling, but for slow-firing it can be chambered with a little patience.

Sounds like a Goshen farm trip with a chronograph is in order.

Last edited:
I didn't do anything exciting. Loaded up 1000 rounds of 9mm and 650 rounds of 45ACP in the last week. My mistake was that I left the double door cabinet, that holds all my ammo and mags, open and the wife came down into the man cave (a very rare event) to ask me something and looked in the cabinet. The result was as expected, "Jesus ****ing Christ look at all this stuff!!!". So much for "what she doesn't know won't hurt me" [smile]

Yeah that happens...... now you just flood the man cave with so much shit she won't even bother to look at all.

Yeah that happens...... now you just flood the man cave with so much shit she won't even bother to look at all.

Yeah my cabinet is pretty much full at this point. No way I'll be able to store the 30-06 spam can or 1000 rd case of Wolf gold 223 I just bought lol. My wife has seen it a couple times and just laughs at me. Doesn't mind as long as we can pay the bills lol.

Last edited:
Yeah my cabinet is pretty much full at this point. No way I'll be able to store the 30-06 spam can or 1000 rd case of Wolf gold 223 I just bought lol. My wife has seen it a couple times and just laughs at me. Doesn't mind as long as we can pay the bills lol.

I just put a lock on every conceivable "cabinet" and keep filling.

Yup, I do, she just happened to walk in when it was wide open :). Thankfully she doesn't look in the others!!

If my wife knew what she was looking at under the stairs .....well let's say WTF wouldn't be the only words out of her mouth. Good thing is she basically has just stopped see or noticing anything new.

I didn't do anything exciting. Loaded up 1000 rounds of 9mm and 650 rounds of 45ACP in the last week. My mistake was that I left the double door cabinet, that holds all my ammo and mags, open and the wife came down into the man cave (a very rare event) to ask me something and looked in the cabinet. The result was as expected, "Jesus ****ing Christ look at all this stuff!!!". So much for "what she doesn't know won't hurt me" [smile]

Mine just steps over it or walks around it. Think about the look on my face when we were talking finances with a professional and I was asked about "things of value". Not that she didn't know but she really didn't know. May have low balled by just a bit, even I don't know for sure!

Results from a few days ago... The shooters' first reloads:

Starting loads at 6.8gr didn't reliably lock the slide, so we didn't load any of these beyond the few initial samples.

Unknown brand (Magtech?) bullets from NET&SS:

To be true to the thread....
I did dig out some 7mm Mauser brass today and found some naked 7mm cast bullets. Also gathered together my stash of .44 Russian reloads.
Man, I'm tired!

Last edited:
I started making 357 lately, using the 158gr lazercasts and H110 between 14 and 16gr. They all went bang but seemed to lack the cool shockwave you get with factory ammo, maybe I should try with some of the lighter soft point stuff with the jackets?

I started making 357 lately, using the 158gr lazercasts and H110 between 14 and 16gr. They all went bang but seemed to lack the cool shockwave you get with factory ammo, maybe I should try with some of the lighter soft point stuff with the jackets?
Get some jacketed 125 grain bullets. You can produce some awesome fireballs when you combine them with H110. :)

I save the H110/296 for 44 mag and use 2400 for 357 mag (since 2400 doesn't require magnum primer). But I have used H110 for some 357 loads I made. Max according to Hodgdom is 16.7 gr for the 158 gr XTP. If you want a lot of muzzle flash, then use a near max charge of H110 with a 125 JSP or JHP.

Got it setup for when winter break roles around. Anyone have any leads on alliant unique in 8lb tubs.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

I saw one pounders at the Cabelas in Berlin on Friday. Give them a call?

- - - Updated - - -

Where has 2400 around here (including NH)?

Yeah I was lucky enough to grab a bunch from my local shop a few years ago then scored a bunch from an online reloading vendor back in April. 10lbs of 2400 and 10lbs of power pistol. Got to be quick though! lol.

Got it setup for when winter break roles around. Anyone have any leads on alliant unique in 8lb tubs.

I think Gun N Gear in Agawam had a couple on their floor a couple of weeks ago. I do know they have some 1lb jugs, I picked a couple up last week myself. If you call them they will hold it for you.

-----------------
Made about 150 rounds of .32 ACP last night, man those rounds are small!

I set up the Lee Pro 1000 in 223. It was painless for the most part. Resizing die was set up well from the factory. I bought and installed the Lee Auto Drum to use with fine powder. Last night I loaded 50 rounds in about 12 min. I then did the same updates/tweeks I did with the older pro 1000 I picked up a few weeks ago and sold to buy this one..... I will be loading my plinking round of W844 surplus powder and 55grain Hornady FMJ....then its on to 30 carbine.

Stocking up for the pumpkin shoot.

Reloaded
-400 .45acp, FMJ 230gr with 4.8gr Bullseye
-150 Gold Dot HP 230gr .45 with 4.7gr Bullseye
-150 240gr .44 magnum rounds with 2400 (21gr)
-Then i loaded up some real pumpkin chunkers. 300Gr XTP .44 magnums with 17gr of 2400 behind them.

Bring on those pumpkins!

Stocking up for the pumpkin shoot.

Reloaded
-400 .45acp, FMJ 230gr with 4.8gr Bullseye
-150 Gold Dot HP 230gr .45 with 4.7gr Bullseye
-150 240gr .44 magnum rounds with 2400 (21gr)
-Then i loaded up some real pumpkin chunkers. 300Gr XTP .44 magnums with 17gr of 2400 behind them.

Bring on those pumpkins!

Nice! Get ahold of some 180 gr XTPs. I load those with a near max charge of H110 (31 gr) and shot some watermelons back in the spring...
View attachment 150042View attachment 150043View attachment 150044View attachment 150045

Did a few 7mm Mauser loads.

I don't know who the manufacturer is, but the 130 grainers (38 caliber) offered by NET&SS look like they'd work well on all manner of squash, too. With 300-MP or H110 you'd be just a tad shy of 2000 fps.
At 10 cents a piece, you could even afford to miss a few times!!

FWIW, 300-MP gets you another 261 fps more than 2400 with a 300 grainer in .44 Magnum (according to Alliant's web data). Not that velocity is everything, of course.

Last edited:
Trying to come up with some loads for .300 blk that meet the following requirements:

1) cycle an AR15 action - willing to open up the gas port to cycle low pressure loads, all guns have an adjustable gas block. Its acceptable to have to adjust the gas block for supersonics.

2) use reasonably priced bullets - I'm not going to reload 230s in bulk.

I'm going to try some h

Don

Some numbers from Quickload.

155 gr Xtreme plated. 8"bbl

1680 - 14.0 gr, 1061 fps, .15 seat depth, 5804 psi muzzle, 14527 peak, 60.3% burn
20.0 gr, 1589 fps, .15 seat depth, 10,669 psi muzzle, 39,932 peak, 82.12% burn

H 110 -12.1 gr, 1059 fps, .15 seat depth, 6170 psi muzzle, 13841 peak, 74.5% burn
18.0 gr, 1605 fps, .15 seat depth, 10978 psi muzzle, 39314 peak, 95.29% burn

AA5 - 6.5 gr, 1047 fps, .15 seat depth, 4465 psi muzzle, 16404 peak, 99.92% burn
10.4 gr, 1436 fps, .15 seat depth, 6640 psi muzzle, 39920 peak, 100% burn

FWIW, 300-MP gets you another 261 fps more than 2400 with a 300 grainer in .44 Magnum (according to Alliant's web data). Not that velocity is everything, of course.

Nice. I'll have to grab some next time I see it for sale just to try out. Though I haven't seen it in shops as of late.
I like that you don't need magnum primers with 300-MP compared to H110/296.

I like that you don't need magnum primers with 300-MP compared to H110/296.

Yes, generally the ball powders list magnum primers, but can you say you've had grief or lack of performance when using standard primers?
I'm sure I've run W296 with whatever primers I've had on hand and can't say I've noticed much difference.

Yes, generally the ball powders list magnum primers, but can you say you've had grief or lack of performance when using standard primers?
I'm sure I've run W296 with whatever primers I've had on hand and can't say I've noticed much difference.

I've never actually tried standard primers with H110/296. Maybe one of these days I'll compare them. But I use Winchester large pistol primers for 44 mag which say standard and magnum use on the box.

Made a hanger for my primer tubes. They kept getting in the way on or around my bench. I saw one of these advertised for $10 plus shipping on another site so decided for a free piece of scrap aluminum and a 1/2 hours work, I was able to knock one out, DIY style. It's nice that I work at a place that has two machine shops and a tin bending shop. This one has four slots, the one I made has six...works slick.

primer tube holder.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom