• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Loaded ammo, then loaded ammo into mags for a GSSF, (Glock), match this weekend. Seven divisions, 10 mags per division, typical round count 100 rounds.

Yeah - that's 50 G17/G34 mags each loaded with 10 rounds, plus 10 more for my G43X. I'll have to reload the G43 mags for the third stage, I only have 7.

View attachment 681425
You know those mags are, like, refillable right?

so, i wanna run this question by you fellow reloaders. what would you be your initial knee jerk reaction on this contraption i made?
i ran 400 pieces of brass through it this morning - those oil pockets keep enough lube for about of 100 .308 cases, may be 150 go through it smooth before you start noticing stiffness.
i did those 400 pieces - deprime, size, reprime - with no prep at all - i mean no spray on cases, no pre-lube, nothing - just tumbled it after a pickup.

the pre-lube step was - for me - the part of the process i hated the most, as still some 308 shell would stuck in the die no matter what.

this thing makes a bit of excess oil on the bottom of the brass, but none seems to go into the pocket. plus, oil is no water anyway.

so, what do you think - is it something worth commercializing, or no one would ever care about such thing, as people prefer to lube an every piece of brass individually?
or for most it is simply not a problem that needs any solution? for me it was, but, i am not in that business for long enough to truly know what is what.

i think the idea is self-explanatory enough from the image - there are 2 little wheels in there, submerged into motor oil that then rotate and contact the shell as it moves down - lubing the sides of the brass, so, it does not stuck in the die. model can be done prettier, spill caps can be added instead of tape, of course, etc.

View attachment 681534
This is an awesome idea. I’ll QA test one for you if you like..I’ll provide feedback good or otherwise. Kudos!

You know those mags are, like, refillable right?

I've heard rumors to that effect. But I do know that one of our esteemed lawmakers publicly stated that by outlawing standard capacity magazines, eventually no one will have one because they're not reusable.

On a serious note, I don't know if you're familiar with a GSSF format match. I'm shooting in a couple of hours, and I'll step up to the stage, run four guns, take a break while my friend Jay shoots, then step back and run three more.

There are only three stages, and I could reload the 21 mags I just used, (28 if it was the plate stage), or I can leisurely load them the day before and just use them. I went for option B because it lets me focus on shooting, not reloading, and I can get through the entire match fairly quickly.

I've heard rumors to that effect. But I do know that one of our esteemed lawmakers publicly stated that by outlawing standard capacity magazines, eventually no one will have one because they're not reusable.

On a serious note, I don't know if you're familiar with a GSSF format match. I'm shooting in a couple of hours, and I'll step up to the stage, run four guns, take a break while my friend Jay shoots, then step back and run three more.

There are only three stages, and I could reload the 21 mags I just used, (28 if it was the plate stage), or I can leisurely load them the day before and just use them. I went for option B because it lets me focus on shooting, not reloading, and I can get through the entire match fairly quickly.
So, that competition effectively requires a minimum of 21 magazines? Wow.

$10 for a 4 pack so $20 for 52 ounces of lube
Or
$14 for 10 ounces
I have both the OneShot and lanolin mix and to me the lanolin mixture feels a lot better as far as case lube. I use the OneShot for lubing pistol stuff as well as lubing my bolts on bolt guns but I do not use it for sizing my bottleneck stuff.

If you buy a 4 pack of ISO and 4 oz of lanolin you’ll have enough to last years.

$10 for a 4 pack so $20 for 52 ounces of lube
Or
$14 for 10 ounces
yeah - this hornady shit is why i designed the lubricator. does not work for me well at all.
i tired lanolin too, but, did not work for me and i just do not need nor want anymore any hassle. but, i guess, i am unique, if it works great for everybody else. :)

no more of that spraying shit for me.

yeah - this hornady shit is why i designed the lubricator. does not work for me well at all.
i tired lanolin too, but, did not work for me and i just do not need nor want anymore any hassle. but, i guess, i am unique, if it works great for everybody else. :)

no more of that spraying shit for me.
Stop trying to resize that MG brass 😂

This is an awesome idea. I’ll QA test one for you if you like..I’ll provide feedback good or otherwise. Kudos!
sure, PM me the address and i will try to ship one set to you. I am still debating if this thing is even worth the effort. i made it all printable now, main part prints in 1:25hr, then 2 caps, 2 wheels, 2 wheel holders. probably around of 3hrs or so per model, to print all then put it all together. at my current corporate work rate it should cost in a hood of $400+ to be worth doing it. :)

to sell it on ebay - well, it probably would not go above $29.99 plus $9.99 for shipping, to be realistic.
kinda does not seem to be worth the effort, especially if most folks are so partial to their old well saturated shoe boxes and smelly sprays. :) it really starts looking to me more like a good solution to a non-existing problem, really, which means it will be rather pointless to even try to market.
plus i am not too inclined to do it for profit - it would be nice to pay off a roll of a PLA+ material in 3hrs, but, well, i am not exactly that money short. :) so, dunno.
kinda torn of what to do with it.

it looks kinda neat now, i designed the set of wheels for it, figured out that a liquid rubber layer makes a good set of tires on them, to work on both .223 and .308 cases - this adapter is fine to feed both, all in all it is cranking. but, probably gonna keep it for myself, as, screw the world - let it solve its problems on its own dime. :)

for what it matters it was a very good exercise in fusion 360 design, a good skill to have. plus i like to tinker with useless shit anyway. :) 3d printing rules. the future is here, finally.
i am very happy with this ender3 v2, and the upgraded sprite pro extruder. with all in all, all upgrades, i think it is a $300 machine now in total, considering the initial discount on the ender purchase. an amazing bang for the buck, i absolutely love it.

Attachments

• CDE880D4-8107-474C-A936-FE96D9EC3492.jpeg
    CDE880D4-8107-474C-A936-FE96D9EC3492.jpeg
    378.7 KB · Views: 10
  • BFD9648A-1780-4D20-9C4F-11A3C9DC3474.jpeg
    BFD9648A-1780-4D20-9C4F-11A3C9DC3474.jpeg
    416 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
sure, PM me the address and i will try to ship one set to you. I am still debating if this thing is even worth the effort. i made it all printable now, main part prints in 1:25hr, then 2 caps, 2 wheels, 2 wheel holders. probably around of 3hrs or so per model, to print all then put it all together. at my current corporate work rate it should cost in a hood of $400+ to be worth doing it. :)

to sell it on ebay - well, it probably would not go above $29.99 plus $9.99 for shipping, to be realistic.
kinda does not seem to be worth the effort, especially if most folks are so partial to their old well saturated shoe boxes and smelly sprays. :) it really starts looking to me more like a good solution to a non-existing problem, really, which means it will be rather pointless to even try to market.
plus i am not too inclined to do it for profit - it would be nice to pay off a roll of a PLA+ material in 3hrs, but, well, i am not exactly that money short. :) so, dunno.
kinda torn of what to do with it.

it looks kinda neat now, i designed the set of wheels for it, figured out that a liquid rubber layer makes a good set of tires on them, to work on both .223 and .308 cases - this adapter is fine to feed both, all in all it is cranking. but, probably gonna keep it for myself, as, screw the world - let it solve its problems on its own dime. :)

for what it matters it was a very good exercise in fusion 360 design, a good skill to have. plus i like to tinker with useless shit anyway. :) 3d printing rules. the future is here, finally.
i am very happy with this ender3 v2, and the upgraded sprite pro extruder. with all in all, all upgrades, i think it is a $300 machine now in total, considering the initial discount on the ender purchase. an amazing bang for the buck, i absolutely love it.
PM sent. Looking forward to trying it out...thanks!

So, that competition effectively requires a minimum of 21 magazines? Wow.

To shoot seven divisions, (7 x 4) = 28 isn't required, but it makes it easier.

If you're shooting one division, you need a minimum of four magazines.
Plate rack stage requires four mags, the other two each require three.
You can reload between stages.

What you can't do is come to the line and load mags.

I shot seven separate entries. Needed 10 mags for each entry if I wasn't going to load at the range.
I had 10 for everything except my G43. I only have seven for that. So I reloaded three mags.

What sort of malfunction?

My 147g load at 130ish PF shoots fantastic, but us sometime too light to cycle a gun with a factory recoil spring. It really depends on the gun, some run on factory spring, some need a lighter spring. The malfunction encountered will be (weak) ejection of empty case occasionally failure to feed the next case

I shot a bunch of factory 147gr. FP with no problems. I was surprised initially at the increased snap, definitely a much hotter load. I'm going to change out my recoil spring to somethig lighter and go from there.

I also have a Henry carbine in 38/357. It will shoot 38 special but the rifle definitely performs better with 357. 38 specials don't feed as reliably and they are nowhere near as accurate as 357 mag. 38 specials are fun for short range plinking at like 25 yards. If you try them at 50 yards or more they are all over the place.

For 357 mag loads I've found imr 4227 to be an excellent powder with 158 jacketed. H110 works well too.

Have you tried 4227 and 125's through that Henry?
I vaguely remember you trying something in .357 with that rifle, but was 4 pages into a search when what I had quoted popped up.
I'm almost to that point and I think we have the same rifle, figured I'd pick your brain first.

Have you tried 4227 and 125's through that Henry?
I vaguely remember you trying something in .357 with that rifle, but was 4 pages into a search when what I had quoted popped up.
I'm almost to that point and I think we have the same rifle, figured I'd pick your brain first.
I have not tried 125 grainers with imr4227. I have run 125 grainers with h110 and those were accurate and the velocity was way up there.....just shy of 2000 fps.

My 357 Henry shoots 38 specials with Missouri 125 grain Hi-Tek TCFPs (Brinell 12) accurately, accurate enough to hit a clay at 60 yards. Most of my 357M loads are a little more accurate, however. Sometimes there is a little hiccup with feeding 38's, you know where the lever seems to catch on something and you have to push it back out first before pulling it in to close the action. Avoid 158 grain jacketed 38 special as there's just barely enough power to get the bullet out of the barrel.

Was on a little road trip and popped into a few shops along the way. Found a brick each of Federal small pistol and small pistol magnum and Cheddite shotshell, two pounds of H335, and a pound each of H110 and Ramshot Enforcer. Was hoping to find some 2400, but no luck, so going to try Enforcer. Along with components on hand, should keep me busy for a while.

Was on a little road trip and popped into a few shops along the way. Found a brick each of Federal small pistol and small pistol magnum and Cheddite shotshell, two pounds of H335, and a pound each of H110 and Ramshot Enforcer. Was hoping to find some 2400, but no luck, so going to try Enforcer. Along with components on hand, should keep me busy for a while.
If you desperately need some 2400, Bruno’s has 1 and 8 pounders in stock. $25 hazmat and not sure on shipping cost
Edit: $30 shipping on an 8 pounder. So $330 shipped if that’s all you bought for hazmat

Thank y
If you desperately need some 2400, Bruno’s has 1 and 8 pounders in stock.
Thank you. I am in the fortunate position at the moment of having more powder and primers than bullets for 357. And it’s all just recreation anyway, no competitions, so if I run out, I can just shoot something else or actually get some chores done. ;)

Thank y

Thank you. I am in the fortunate position at the moment of having more powder and primers than bullets for 357. And it’s all just recreation anyway, no competitions, so if I run out, I can just shoot something else or actually get some chores done. ;)
Sounds like you need to order some JSPs from Roze…😉

Back
Top Bottom