• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Made a spur of the moment decision and bought an expensive .223 cartridge gauge today.
490C94F6-F0C0-47DA-B8BD-DCF211ABFDA4.jpeg
Bought everything from Custom Defense Solutions at the Mill. Originally went looking for a PCC but couldn’t make up my mind and figured I couldn’t leave without something at least.

Finally figured out my .223 “not chambering” issue and I narrowed it down to the dies I was using that I had received in the lot of stuff when I first started.

Bought new RCBS dies last week and finally put them to use tonight and made up 50 .223 w/ 55gr Hornady FMJ-BT and 50 .223 w/ 55gr Hornady soft points as I mistakenly bought the wrong projectiles but whatever. Both types are sitting on 23.9gn of BL-C(2).

They all chamber checked in my AR so I think I’m good to go as that’s the farthest I’ve gotten lol. If these all work out next weekend, I think I’m confident enough to start on some .300BO and .308 for my brother. Fingers crossed for sure.

0DE1D45B-F43B-434D-8BEC-D791A6EC6A3E.jpeg

Made 431 rounds of 38 special. I also printed these ammo boxes. I like them because they accept the cartridge rim side down. The Plano ones and others only accept them projectile down, so they can't be reused as inspection blocks. That one in the middle I just put there to continue the theme of posting sets with one error:

IMG_1837.JPG

Bought some blemished 62gr ss109s from Larry. Should be here Wednesday. Can't seem to find any load data for H335, so I'll have to put a little effort in.

Put together about 500 rounds of 9mm this morning while everyone was still in bed.

From the Lyman 50th Edition.

Attachments

• 62 GR SS109 Load Data.jpg
    62 GR SS109 Load Data.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 10
Pulled and reloaded a box of Federal 7mm as planned. 5 steps, all "light" for 7mm Rem mag, topping off just above 50K PSI. I started noticing that I was screwing up the soft points with my kinetic puller. Put some foam in there belatedly, but I decided just to remove the soft points and sort the bullets. Instead of 150ish grain, they are all in the 146.3-147.5 grain range, all groups of 4 within a few tenths of a grain of one another.

View attachment 628352
They all shot better than the originals. I only chrono'd a couple, one at each end, and got 2887 and 2988 fps, so the loads are only a little bit light in the sense of not being "as magnum". The first two shots went into the same hole at 100 yards (that was after the two rounds I chrono'd), then the next about an inch away, though I'm pretty sure some of that was me. Other loads opened up to a little over 2". There was another group that was about 0.75", but I went back later and put the last round of that load in, and it didn't group, was 2" away. It's hard to know with that thin 26" sporter barrel. I take time out between groups and run the barrel cooler, but it still seems to open up a little over time. I'll probably just load the remaining 60 with the lightest of those charges and be done with it.

Primed about 400 rnds of 9mil.
Then stuffed what I could in a small can with what was left of the pre primed brass I bought.
The odd 137 cases that didn't fit are getting loaded tonight to finish up on 9 mil for now.
Then I'll start priming 300BLK cases.

Thanks! I have an older Lyman manual, surprised it wasn't there.
it is not in 10th edition hornady manual neither. odd.
but sierra has something somewhat comparable and it correlates with what in the Lyman post above
thx for free shipping - got a 1k, will stuff it with TAC that i have nothing good to do with anyway.
1655770240046.png

💪🏻👌🏻
Very nice. Talk about an impossible caliber/ammo to find.

Jamison Brass 400 cases (your recommendation) 👍
Zero Bullets 158 Gr Jacketed Soft Point (again your recommendation) 👍
Lee load data

I also load Hornady 200 Gr FTX and Remington 200 Gr RN

So much fun to shoot

It also helps having a 200 yd range 35 ft from my walk out basement and reloading room

Shot some trap yesterday and realized that I need to stock up on shells. Ran around, burnt a bunch of $5/gallon gas (FJB), and didn't find any.

Came into the possession of a shotgun shell loader and a bunch of components, so I guess I'm reloading 12ga now.

Ordered some 209s from MSS. At least their hazmat and shipping isn't bad.

Cleared off a section on my bench to mount the press.

Shot some trap yesterday and realized that I need to stock up on shells. Ran around, burnt a bunch of $5/gallon gas (FJB), and didn't find any.

Came into the possession of a shotgun shell loader and a bunch of components, so I guess I'm reloading 12ga now.

They’ve (MSS) had those Fiocchi’s for a few days and the price is good. I was going to get some and some Titegroup but then they ran out of Titegroup. With my luck, they’ll be out of the 209’s when the Titegroupis back in stock!

Always had really good customer service with MSS.

They’ve (MSS) had those Fiocchi’s for a few days and the price is good. I was going to get some and some Titegroup but then they ran out of Titegroup. With my luck, they’ll be out of the 209’s when the Titegroupis back in stock!

Always had really good customer service with MSS.
They are unfortunately low on powder.

Speaking of good customer service, a while back, I placed an order with the Ram and they immediately called me to confirm my order since they had my old Mass address on file and they needed to update it. They fixed it right away and even added more SPP to my order when I asked, since I didn't know I was able to buy a case.

What kind of press?

I have a Pacific DL-266, love it. But I've never used anything else. I just load for hobby shooting, not weekly matches. Last time I checked, I wasn't saving any money vs bulk 100 packs, but I don't actually care.

Here's some of my 12G load data:

Screenshot from 2022-06-21 17-11-24.png

35 Rem Range / Plinking Load

158 Gr JSP
CCI 200
34 Gr. RL7
Col. 2.20
Avg. 2240 Fps.
Nice thumper. A very cast Bullet friendly cartridge too. The RCBS 200 or maybe is was a 220 grain RNFP was supposedly awesome in the 35 REM.
I have the Lee copy of it that I used for 350 Legend and it’s a beautiful bullet for sure.

Pulled the other 60 rounds of 7mm Mag Federal Power Shock. Ran the cases through the neck sizer. Sorted the bullets and the brass by weight. I guess I'll load the lightest bullets with the heaviest brass and vice versa.

What kind of press?

I have a Pacific DL-266, love it. But I've never used anything else. I just load for hobby shooting, not weekly matches. Last time I checked, I wasn't saving any money vs bulk 100 packs, but I don't actually care.

View attachment 629094
In 2020, i could get 100 packs for 22.50 in NH. (Federal red box 7.5 or 8 shot). Now, they are $32 if you can find them at WMT. I think Cabelas is charging $100 for 250 target shells. Not sure if the math works now to reload.

What kind of press?

View attachment 629094
Thanks for the load data. I'll take a look.

I have no clue what press it is. Commandeered it from the inlaws this weekend. I know there's a Lee Load All and then some sort of progressive press too, so I'll grab both.

I figured I wouldn't save much of anything, bit with gas being so expensive, I don't like driving around looking for single boxes of shells. Gives me something to do while I'm on work calls.

Got my second CZ SP-01 shadow back from Cajun Gun works today. Sadly the throat on this barrel is much shorter than my other Shadow 1 and Shadow 2. Those would work fine with 147 gr round nose blue bullets at 1.130"ish
This new shadow 1 needs rounds at like 1.105" max. Annoying since I have thousands loaded at the longer OAL. Guess I’ll have to adjust going forward. They chamber okay but it cuts into the coating from hitting the throat/rifling - whatever the correct term is.
That edge where it transitions from the chamber to the rifling is much more pronounced than my other CZ barrels.

Oh well, first world problems I guess…

4F1E30EA-8B3A-42B8-ADA7-910F6B1AF839.jpeg C7D193E6-7466-4951-8D6D-151F4CF6675D.jpeg

Got my second CZ SP-01 shadow back from Cajun Gun works today. Sadly the throat on this barrel is much shorter than my other Shadow 1 and Shadow 2. Those would work fine with 147 gr round nose blue bullets at 1.130"ish
This new shadow 1 needs rounds at like 1.105" max. Annoying since I have thousands loaded at the longer OAL. Guess I’ll have to adjust going forward. They chamber okay but it cuts into the coating from hitting the throat/rifling - whatever the correct term is.
That edge where it transitions from the chamber to the rifling is much more pronounced than my other CZ barrels.

Oh well, first world problems I guess…

View attachment 629560View attachment 629561
My understanding was that CZs have very short throats as a rule so heavy bullets need special attention or some.gunsmithing.

Not to be an idiot but here goes any way.
Can you bump the bullets in a tad and re-crimp? In the interim.
Most definitely! I'm not even sure I'd need to recrimp. I adjusted a few last night for testing without recrimping and they chambered and ejected fine.
I'll just get it reamed to make things easier.

Back
Top Bottom