• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

VERY good weekend. Made 100 30BR cases (necked up Lapua 6mmBR Norma cases to 30 cal., turned necks to 10 thousandths, sized, trimmed to 1.5", uniformed flash holes, wet tumbled). Loaded 25 (118gr 10 ogive BiB bullets over 33gr H4198, BR-4 primers). Took these to the range and managed three 5-shot groups in the 3s and 4s at 100 yds! Definitely my best results to date.

New benchrest rifle (thanks to an NES member). Never had a 2 oz trigger before (grin). This one is going to be FUN!!

View attachment 551367

View attachment 551368

View attachment 551369
Jesus. That’s nuts. You’ve gone all out on reloading now. Love it.

VERY good weekend. Made 100 30BR cases (necked up Lapua 6mmBR Norma cases to 30 cal., turned necks to 10 thousandths, sized, trimmed to 1.5", uniformed flash holes, wet tumbled). Loaded 25 (118gr 10 ogive BiB bullets over 33gr H4198, BR-4 primers). Took these to the range and managed three 5-shot groups in the 3s and 4s at 100 yds! Definitely my best results to date.

New benchrest rifle (thanks to an NES member). Never had a 2 oz trigger before (grin). This one is going to be FUN!!

View attachment 551367

View attachment 551368

View attachment 551369
Nice when it comes together

View attachment 551367

View attachment 551368

View attachment 551369
Those look sexy, I love me some 30s. What they running for speed?

My range session wasn't as successful. I was only a able to run 10 rounds through the 6bra. Noticed quite a bit of wear on the casehead, ejector mark and swipes. Out of 10 shots the speed was mild with an average of 2756 with a SD of 10 and ES of 29 but the marks had me uncomfortable so decided to put her away and look everything over at home. After checking all measurements and headspace I disassemble the bolt to my surprise there was a pretty substantial bur around the ejector opening. I massaged it out and hopefully these marks will not be present on my next fireforming session. tempImagepTUSwC.png

We also started a baseline test for barrel break-in on my fathers new TL3 6.5 creed. His group shows a lot of promise for this rifle, 10 shot group sticker is .75" Peterson brass, Hornady 140 hpbt with h4350. tempImage9QmZ5l.png

Wow that thing is cruising! What are the rifle specs and barrel length? I'm hoping to run somewhere around 2900-2925 fps with a 105 hybrid out of a 26" tube.
Stolle-Panda action, 24" 1:17 twist Hart max heavy varmint barrel. McMillan benchrest stock, Jewel trigger set at 2 ounces.

Learn something new every day. Never in a million years would I have had a trigger below 1.5-2 pounds, now I want to build a bench gun.
If you find your way in toward Southborough Rod and Gun, drop me a line. Happy to have you try it. I'll bring ammo (grin).

So, I finished my loads for a next test, got now in my hands shippings of both varget and shooting world precision rifle.
The latter does not have silvery color of varget nor its smell - color is rather dark and a 24.8gn measure setting for varget seemingly produced 24.4gn load of precision rifle.

Sticks are slightly smaller than vargets’, so it may be less compressed in any 24.5+ loads compared to varget, but, will see. I ran out of prepped primered brass, so will do a comparison test next time.

Yeah, and prepped 200 6.5CM cases, all sized, necks set down to 0.002” in type-s die, primer pockets cleaned, will need to prime it and a next stage will begin.

So, I finished my loads for a next test, got now in my hands shippings of both varget and shooting world precision rifle.
The latter does not have silvery color of varget nor its smell - color is rather dark and a 24.8gn measure setting for varget seemingly produced 24.4gn load of precision rifle.

Sticks are slightly smaller than vargets’, so it may be less compressed in any 24.5+ loads compared to varget, but, will see. I ran out of prepped primered brass, so will do a comparison test next time.
After reading your post Im almost inspired to slap the Short Thick Slab AR back together and load up some 80gn Noslers with what I have left of varget. See what they do at 200
My last go around with these I found my best accuracy was in the mid range of powder charges except H4895 that liked the hotter end. IIRC the sweet spot was around 2500-2575 fps on the other powders I tried.
I will probably just do 22, 22.5 , 23, 23.5 on what I have left of varget and load a few with whats left in my measure for H4895.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom