What did you do in the reloading room recently?

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Well no luck getting a deer in Maine this past week. Jumped a couple but woods were too damn thick to even see them, just heard them. My dad keeps saying I unfortunately missed the golden days of deer hunting as the population near his camp seems to have dwindled in the last 10 years or so. But I might go back in a couple weeks when the rut is in full swing.

Anyway, I was going through the closet where my dad and grandfather had some old ammo stored. Found these corroded 30-30 rounds in a dusty old Dixie cup 😂
No idea what happened to these rounds. But I think it’s safe to say they’re not safe to shoot so I’ll break them down for the bullets and maybe the primers.
46CF55A1-130C-4D44-A8DB-84F053FD0B1D.jpegB7E3E49E-05C8-43BA-BBC8-3AE52E674A71.jpeg

pastera

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
IMG_20211107_190613263.jpg

Finally got some time to cast up some Lee 230g 309 boat tails
I do have to say that I'm impressed with this Lee mold - cuts the sprue easily by hand no knocker needed.
I weighed about a dozen just to get a feel for how it was dropping - about 80% were 231.4 so it's more consistent than I am.

Did about 15lbs - will try to coat them this week.
Haven't found a reasonable source for 300aac brass so I'm going to have to get an RCBS small base die and convert some 223.

Also wouldn't mind trying them in some low velocity 30-06 but haven't looked into load data on something that heavy

Michael J. Spangler

NES Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
View attachment 540299

Finally got some time to cast up some Lee 230g 309 boat tails
I do have to say that I'm impressed with this Lee mold - cuts the sprue easily by hand no knocker needed.
I weighed about a dozen just to get a feel for how it was dropping - about 80% were 231.4 so it's more consistent than I am.

Did about 15lbs - will try to coat them this week.
Haven't found a reasonable source for 300aac brass so I'm going to have to get an RCBS small base die and convert some 223.

Also wouldn't mind trying them in some low velocity 30-06 but haven't looked into load data on something that heavy
If you need to borrow my SB set let me know. We need to meet up for that slug mould anyway.

paul73

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, as i continue to learn my press i installed the other gizmo i didn't fully understand the point of, initially, and after reading a lot of negative reviews of it i kinda felt discouraged to even try.
a magnetic powder check
so, using a rubber band hack it allowed to rotate the powder measure in a way that did not obstruct this gizmo, and, at least the sample i have, on using the .223 case has a sensitivity range of approximately .3gn that is correlating with that fat marker line on the body on the right.
a marker line on the magnet then shows visually, and damn accurately so, how much powder you got from the measure, and even if it does not beep you do see if you got less or more and then can pull case out and adjust. it takes a little bit of an effort to setup the correct height of the magnet so it would be at the middle of the fat line on the ideal correct powder load weight but after that it works very well.
i probably going to take the battery out of it as beeping itself seems to be just an annoying extra, a visual control is more than enough.

i may need to ask a friend to 3d print me some caps for this rod, for different calibers, as the brass piece on top is for pistol brass, and rod itself is still a bit thin for rifle cases, especially for .308. DA for some reason did not bother to make matching caps for rifle calibers. but for .223 it works perfectly fine.

pc.jpg

Last edited:

Tallahassee

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Well no luck getting a deer in Maine this past week. Jumped a couple but woods were too damn thick to even see them, just heard them. My dad keeps saying I unfortunately missed the golden days of deer hunting as the population near his camp seems to have dwindled in the last 10 years or so. But I might go back in a couple weeks when the rut is in full swing.

Anyway, I was going through the closet where my dad and grandfather had some old ammo stored. Found these corroded 30-30 rounds in a dusty old Dixie cup 😂
No idea what happened to these rounds. But I think it’s safe to say they’re not safe to shoot so I’ll break them down for the bullets and maybe the primers.
View attachment 539989View attachment 539990
I have a ton of 30 30 like that. Every year, for who knows how long, my mother would buy my dad two boxes of ammo for his yearly hunting trip. So it just accumulated over time. They get funky for sure. I bet some of the boxes are over 40 years old, if not more.

As ugly as they are, they still go bang.

pastera

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
so, as i continue to learn my press i installed the other gizmo i didn't fully understand the point of, initially, and after reading a lot of negative reviews of it i kinda felt discouraged to even try.
a magnetic powder check
so, using a rubber band hack it allowed to rotate the powder measure in a way that did not obstruct this gizmo, and, at least the sample i have, on using the .223 case has a sensitivity range of approximately .3gn that is correlating with that fat marker line on the body on the right.
a marker line on the magnet then shows visually, and damn accurately so, how much powder you got from the measure, and even if it does not beep you do see if you got less or more and then can pull case out and adjust. it takes a little bit of an effort to setup the correct height of the magnet so it would be at the middle of the fat line on the ideal correct powder load weight but after that it works very well.
i probably going to take the battery out of it as beeping itself seems to be just an annoying extra, a visual control is more than enough.

i may need to ask a friend to 3d print me some caps for this rod, for different calibers, as the brass piece on top is for pistol brass, and rod itself is still a bit thin for rifle cases, especially for .308. DA for some reason did not bother to make matching caps for rifle calibers. but for .223 it works perfectly fine.

View attachment 541084

What do you need printed?
Do you have a model or just an idea?
link the model or sketch out your idea and I'll see what I can do

RankAmateur

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
a magnetic powder check

View attachment 541084
Paul, I also use the Double Alpha powder check for safety (only) when running lots of cases. I don't think it was intended nor designed to accurately warn of powder charge variation (nor was the Dillon powder check). I understand the check to warn of significant powder variation (usually, no charge or double charge situations). Clearly (as you noted) it is sensitive enough to detect variation more subtle than that, but probably not the design intent except to detect a really low partial charge/high over charge depending on the cartridge.

I also was annoyed by the beeping until I adjusted the die to close the micro switch ONLY when the case is fully inserted into the die. I'm only interested in the feedback from the powder check at the bottom of the stroke so that it only checks the level of the powder at that point. Prior to adjustment, the microswitch would close before that "case fully inserted" condition and I would get a chirp before the press bottomed out, and again at the start of the return stroke.

I'm also not sure about the need for adding caps, as the only thing relevant (to me) is that the probe rests on top of the powder column (so the probe being able to pass through the case neck is the maximum practical diameter of the probe end, while avoiding a minimum diameter that would allow the probe to penetrate into the powder column. I think the standard design provided meets this objective in all cases without modification?

paul73

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, I also use the Double Alpha powder check for safety (only) when running lots of cases. I don't think it was intended nor designed to accurately warn of powder charge variation (nor was the Dillon powder check). I understand the check to warn of significant powder variation (usually, no charge or double charge situations). Clearly (as you noted) it is sensitive enough to detect variation more subtle than that, but probably not the design intent except to detect a really low partial charge/high over charge depending on the cartridge.

I also was annoyed by the beeping until I adjusted the die to close the micro switch ONLY when the case is fully inserted into the die. I'm only interested in the feedback from the powder check at the bottom of the stroke so that it only checks the level of the powder at that point. Prior to adjustment, the microswitch would close before that "case fully inserted" condition and I would get a chirp before the press bottomed out, and again at the start of the return stroke.

I'm also not sure about the need for adding caps, as the only thing relevant (to me) is that the probe rests on top of the powder column (so the probe being able to pass through the case neck is the maximum practical diameter of the probe end, while avoiding a minimum diameter that would allow the probe to penetrate into the powder column. I think the standard design provided meets this objective in all cases without modification?
yep, i had mine setup in the same way - as i lifted properly filled case up i screwed this sensor in until it started beeping and then adjusted the magnet - so it invokes now at the very end of the stroke only.

as of cups to be needed - i am not sure how well the rod will work on finer powders in the wider cases like .308 or 6.5. the .223 case opening is just 5.3mm, the rod itself is 4mm in diameter, so, nothing is needed there for sure. i will need to try it out first to decide.

paul73

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll keep an eye out for your feedback. That looks like it might be a good buy for load development.
so, i ran 20 packs of my reloads today using this contraption and i can say - it definitely makes the process way easier. i can recommend it.
i was shooting from it maintaining pressure on top of the scope and holding rifle in the traditional way, it still moves a bit with recoil - i tried blocking legs by using a rail inserted into the bench but it makes it worse as front starts to jump up - just holding rifle as usual is way better, with most loads i was able to keep rifle on target with almost no move.
is it way better than shooting from a heavy sand bag? perhaps, may be, may be not. probably depends upon of how long the session is.

the absolute lack or vertical wobble during aiming and no need to control the stock bag helps a ton for loads testing, it just takes that part out of equation.

Last edited:

Artie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

pastera

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
+1
You need to offer for sale the probe holders when you also sell the pot covers. I am in for 2 of each when you are ready.
I try to fund my hobbies with money fromy hobbies or from my travel per diem.
Covid has killed off my work travel (I'm not vaxxed so it's not coming back anytime soon)
That leaves me with financing parts for the next build by selling off the last builds.
Unfortunately I also get squirreled in the middle and spend the money on guns I don't 'need'...
Will probably do a run of covers soon.

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Damn 270 Win found its way in my 30-06 brass.

View attachment 542573
Yokes, buckled the case a bit near the shoulder, good thing the 270 would have chambered … should. I think?
Probably not terrible out come but still maybe enough blowback to scare the bejeez outya . You would have a nice fireformed case after.

p..

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Got my new 223 rounds flying at 2444 fps, getting ready to run about 5k. Also working in Mesa AZ today so I brought some worn parts from myXL650, going to stop by Dillon in Scottsdale to see if they will warentee them.
View attachment 543472
I didn't realize powdercoat worked on rifle rounds. I thought it was limited to relatively low velocity pistol rounds.

Top Bottom