What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Drove down to Jax and traded a set of 9mm dies and conversion kit for .38/.357 dies and quick setup kit. The 9mm were extras and I have one toolhead setup for .38, so this will let me have separate toolheads .38 and .357mag. Which will be nice because I use two different powders for them.

Built a new shelf to hold brass, 8'H x 30"W x 17"D - move some of the clutter UP instead of out, (get some stuff off of the floor). Went to Walmart and bought a bunch of "crates" to hold that brass in, and the garage is looking a lot tidier.

Add another one to the list. Broke my Desert Eagle firing pin today🤣
Shot 7 rounds of my 180 gr XTP loads and then on the last round “click”. Aw f***View attachment 533325

I'm surprised there isn't a manufacturer out there that hasn't offered you some kind of compensation in exchange for field stress testing and such.
You could probably pull in some good side cash. And buy more guns with it.

So I guess it only trims and doesn't use trim dies as does the Dillon?
I have come to like using the Dillon Rapid Trim and trim dies for high volume sizing/trimming. Then on the same tool head use a Lyman or Sinclair International mandrel to open the necks...

Perhaps it is a limitation of the photograph, but I'm not really seeing the one per cylinder pattern very clearly, though a couple look quite deep. My guess is that I'm looking at a low pressure load with non-uniform primer seating depths. Primers seated more proud when struck would show deeper impressions than those seated deeper. But if you really suspect the gun, load some up some more with close attention to the primers being seated all the way in and looking about the same. Then number the cartridges 1-6 and load from a marked charge hole. Ruger usually has some kind of marking on the cylinder face that you can use to identify charge hole #1.
I see what he's talking about, the face of the primer is dished inward where as the others are still flat.

I see what he's talking about, the face of the primer is dished inward where as the others are still flat.
I think you might get this dishing in a relatively low-pressure load if the anvil has some room to move before it compresses the priming compound. That's why I'm thinking variations in primer seating depth.

I hear what you're saying re primer depth but I do give the primer 'installation' a bit of a push (holding the Ultramount) so I get good seating. Nothing feel high and the gun is intolerant of high primers. Plus, the fact
that it is always 1 per cylinder doesn't fit the statistical pattern. This is a mid-low load of around 7.5gn of W231
over 240 LSWC, mid-1000 FPS

What I am disappointed in is the QC on Winchester brass. I've had 3 so far that will NOT go into the shellplate :(

I hear what you're saying re primer depth but I do give the primer 'installation' a bit of a push (holding the Ultramount) so I get good seating. Nothing feel high and the gun is intolerant of high primers. Plus, the fact
that it is always 1 per cylinder doesn't fit the statistical pattern.

If 4 cartridges out of the 24 had primers seated approximately flush instead of fully seated, then there would be a 12.2% chance of randomly selecting exactly one each time the cylinder was loaded. To put it into perspective, the chances of this are better than picking up a pair of fair dice and rolling a 9. There are other possibilities, but AFAIK, the cure would be more uniform primer seating depth, more uniform bullet seating depth, more uniform crimp, etc.

Back
Top Bottom