• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Do it in the Mill parking lot on Sunday mornings. Let's everyone (maybe even vendors) meet/connect/socialize/coffee
Better done away feom vendors.
The BS state and local authorities can pull can be a problem for “the mill”
Permits, non licensed sellers, explosives
Omg gun stuff!!!

Matt_SERE

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Sorry....................can't help myself...............:D

View attachment 522011
Wasn't it Cerakote who came up with special colors due to this shithead trying to ban 'colored and toy looking' guns?

ETA: [rofl]

Gun paint company taunts Mayor Bloomberg with paints named after him​

By KIRSTEN DANIS
DAILY NEWS CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF |
MAR 21, 2008 AT 1:03 AM

A Wisconsin company that disguises deadly firearms with bright paints and camouflage has a new target: Mayor Bloomberg.
Lauer Custom Weaponry, whose products were banned in the city in 2006 because they make dangerous guns look like innocent toys, is taunting the anti-gun mayor with a line of paints named "The Bloomberg Collection."

The company - which named its purple hue after Barney, the dinosaur beloved by toddlers - is peddling a rainbow of candy-colored paints for each of the five boroughs.
There's red for Manhattan, rose for the Bronx, blue for Brooklyn, green for Queens and orange for Staten Island.

And as an extra slap - a stencil of the mayor's face for the barrel of the gun.
Gun owners also can plunk down $129 for a "Bloomberg Collection EZ Camo Kit" to pimp out their semiautomatics and rifles with a brick wall and graffiti decoration.

Last year, a Virginia gun shop held a "Bloomberg raffle" - with the prize a brand-new gun - to protest the mayor's crackdown on stores he says are illegally peddling firearms that end up on New York streets.
Not to be left out, the National Rifle Association soon plastered a picture of Bloomberg as an octopus on the cover of its magazine.

This time, Bloomberg angered Steve Lauer, owner of Lauer Custom Weaponry, when he pushed through a law that punishes anyone who uses, buys or sells a gun-coloration kit in New York with a year in jail or a $1,000 fine.

"The mayor picked us out as being the pink-gun guys," said Toby Johnson, who described himself as Lauer's "right-hand man" at the Chippewa Falls company.
The bright paints were meant to help rescue workers and range masters locate guns more easily - not fool cops, Johnson said. They regularly sell the colors named after the boroughs and have even sold "five or six" Bloomberg camo kits, Johnson said.
Women also are big fans of the colors, he added.

1631446515938.png

Last edited:

Agt. Smith

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Got to the range early - shot some of the .44 mag FMJ's (Campro) I made up - average loads, probably 900-1000 fps.

I like em'. This was the first 12 shots (30' w/629 PC, strong hand). It only got better as the morning progressed.

After I'm guessing probably 1000 LSWC's - it also scrubbed out the barrel shiny-shiny like you wouldn't believe....... :D

rrr.jpg

jhps.jpg

gerrycaruso

NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I just made up a few loads for a Mosin sniper rifle. My son bought it from a Russian guy in Waltham who said his grandfather carried it in WWII. Who knows but it's original and the scope is numbered to the rifle. It was $500.00. I think an original scope is probably worth that. This rifle seems to have a tight bore and didn't do well with .312 bullets so I'm trying .308 168 grain match bullets and H380. If I'm doing it correctly, the bore slugs at slightly under .308.

Quite_Exasperated

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just tapping into an old conversation to seek advice from the group. Starting into reloading pistol rounds, currently limited to 9mm and 45acp. I want to do a little stockpiling now for my winter loading sessions. I've seen discussions of brands/vendors like Blue bullets, Xtreme, Berry's, etc, but don't know if one is better than another. Any recommendations for reliability (or conversely for brands I should avoid)? I'll only be loading for range plinking. Thanks!
Penn coated bullets (very good IMHO) or Rim Rock (a little cheaper and not as accurate but satisfactory).

Also found ~200 once fired cases at the range Friday. Score! In the tumbler now..

meh

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Not so much in the loading room but trying to figure out where I am. I just did a little analysis on my reloads in stock and consumption rate, and I might have gone a little overboard loading some ammo before it was needed. This is just for assembled range ammo, not potential rounds from loose components, not any SD factory ammo.

In 45 Colt I have 16 months of shooting assembled.
In 44 Magnum I have 10 months of shooting assembled.
In 357 Magnum I have 31 months of shooting assembled.
In 38 Special +P I have 20 months of shooting assembled.
In 9x19mm I have 24 months of shooting assembled.

With 9mm that includes components as well--every 9mm bullet I have is loaded. That's fine for that caliber, but in general I'd rather have this more in the 6 month range. Only reason 44 magnum is close to that is because I've gone out of my way to shoot a lot of it in the last month or so. God help me if I ever got a progressive press.

Agt. Smith

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Wow! Just curious - how many .44 mag rounds do you use each trip to the range?

I generally shoot 100-150 a week. My math isn't perfect - but I'd need 4000-6000 rounds to get to 10 months. I don't even own brass to get close to that ! :eek::eek:

meh

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wow! Just curious - how many .44 mag rounds do you use each trip to the range?
The spreadsheet assumes 50. Sometimes it's a bit more, but that's only estimating 14 range trips with 44 magnum per year. At twice a week, there would be a lot more range trips, just shooting the other calibers.

Last edited:

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Not so much in the loading room but trying to figure out where I am. I just did a little analysis on my reloads in stock and consumption rate, and I might have gone a little overboard loading some ammo before it was needed. This is just for assembled range ammo, not potential rounds from loose components, not any SD factory ammo.

In 45 Colt I have 16 months of shooting assembled.
In 357 Magnum I have 31 months of shooting assembled.
In 38 Special +P I have 20 months of shooting assembled.
In 9x19mm I have 24 months of shooting assembled.

With 9mm that includes components as well--every 9mm bullet I have is loaded. That's fine for that caliber, but in general I'd rather have this more in the 6 month range. Only reason 44 magnum is close to that is because I've gone out of my way to shoot a lot of it in the last month or so. God help me if I ever got a progressive press.
Eh if your happy with the loads its good to be ahead.
Few years back I bought a lee Pro1000 in 223 just to load up all my 55gn plinking ammo. Loaded until I ran out of powder for that load.
Now I have plenty of plinking/practice 223.
I have at least 2-4 years loaded up for some of the odd ball cals
Example 32sw i shoot the little pistol 2-3 times a year around 35 rounds a year. I loaded every case I had….200+
Same with other items.
Only thing Im loaded as needed is 30-06,308 and 7.5 swiss

Michael J. Spangler

NES Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Loaded up 50 round of 45 Colt with 200 grain hollow points and a “max” load of 7625. Granted it’s still a light load with box velocity just over 1000 FPS. I’ve found it hard to get the +P (not Ruger only) load data with lightweight bullets. Seems all of it is for the 250 ish grain bullets.

I’m hoping this gives enough speed to open up the cast hollow points.

allen-1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a set of .45ACP dies on order from Dillon, ordered them last January. Knew at the time that there was a backlog, expected wait then was like 14 weeks which grew to 36 weeks. Actually, it's more than dies - it's dies, conversion kit, powder hopper, toolhead, etc.

So - saw some dies on MeWe, reached out - and they're on their way. Followed that up with an order from Amazon for the conversion kit.

Been picking up brass, and managed to pick up a couple boxes of LPP.

Guess it's time to order the bullets. Thinking 255grn for bowling pins.

murf4321

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not so much what I've done to the reloading room, but more a question. Last winter I dove right into pistol reloading, this winter I'm throwing my hat into rifle.
My question is this:

For all of those with progressive presses to mass reload say 223; what are the stations you use in the press? I may be wrong, but do you not use a resizing die & trim cases as part of the case prep before you head to the progressive? So in that case, If you already have the brass sized, do you not bother with the sizing die at all in the progressive as the first stage? I also am coming from the standpoint of decapping on a universal decapping die prior to cleaning as the first step of case prep. What am i missing here because all the videos I see on youtube start at fully prepped cases yet still have a sizer die being used as the first stage on their progressive, so are these folks essentially just running it through a sizing die twice?

PEW

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Not so much what I've done to the reloading room, but more a question. Last winter I dove right into pistol reloading, this winter I'm throwing my hat into rifle.
My question is this:

For all of those with progressive presses to mass reload say 223; what are the stations you use in the press? I may be wrong, but do you not use a resizing die & trim cases as part of the case prep before you head to the progressive? So in that case, If you already have the brass sized, do you not bother with the sizing die at all in the progressive as the first stage? I also am coming from the standpoint of decapping on a universal decapping die prior to cleaning as the first step of case prep. What am i missing here because all the videos I see on youtube start at fully prepped cases yet still have a sizer die being used as the first stage on their progressive, so are these folks essentially just running it through a sizing die twice?

I do not run through a sizing die again, personally. I just prime, charge, seat, and crimp.

Uzi2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Belted up 1160 rounds of 7.62 NATO reloads on "brand new in the sleeves" Israeli links. Only 2000 left to go.😬
Happiness is a well fed beltfed.

Now I need about 25-30 more 30cal cans to put them in.......it never ends.

Loaded 100 more rounds of 7.62x39.

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
140   0   0
Got the press mounted and started loading this weekend got the first rounds loaded up
Lmao. I had the same desk for years! It's only made of that cheap particle board stuff (at least the shelfs were I think) so I'm curious how it holds up and if it is sturdy enough for the press.

pastera

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My question is this:

Quick clean
Decal and size on press-- 1st run
Decrimp and trim off press
Prime on press - 2nd run
Load - 3rd run
Powder drop
Powder check
Seat
Crimp

Top Bottom