What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Tested 45acp with 200 grain swaged swc.....6.3 grains cfe pistol. VERY light recoil almost felt like it barely cycled the 1911. Accurate enough for plate shooting. Spent cases had alot of soot on them. I'm thinking this is a sign of too low of a pressure built up? The online data from hidgedon recommends 7.8 grains of that powder for 200 grain cast projos and that velocity is estimated at well over 1000fps. I went with 6.3 figuring I'd keep swaged at 800 or so. I'm not sure what to do......maybe is the soot on the spent cases a sign of under pressure?

....... Spent cases had alot of soot on them. I'm thinking this is a sign of too low of a pressure built up? .........
When I started reloading I usually started the charges way low (snub nose 44 revolver) and always got sooty cases. Good accuracy, and no problems other than smoke and messy.

The advice I got was low charge. Low and behold - the closer I got to the published max charges the cleaner they became. That's my experience anyway......:D

what is the 'tune up' ?

It's the first part here. I got my CM from a friend and he had already done the straw mod. Looks like he may have tuned it up to work with a different powder too, because the values I found stored were not default.

After adjusting my chargemaster the cycle time was WAY faster and overshot less. Even using RE15 and Varget stick powders.

If you're setting it to be used with a wide range of charge loads for diff calibers, you may benefit from creating a cheat sheet of 4-6 values you fine tune for each one. I only use it for .223 77gr loads so I'm in the mid 20s all the time. If I used it for .308, I'd probably create a new set of favorites.

When I started reloading I usually started the charges way low (snub nose 44 revolver) and always got sooty cases. Good accuracy, and no problems other than smoke and messy.

The advice I got was low charge. Low and behold - the closer I got to the published max charges the cleaner they became. That's my experience anyway......:D
I'll make some up closer to the minimum and see what happens. Have to say it was like shooting a full size 9mm lol. Almost no recoil and the cases were just dropping beside me. I kind of like that lol.

Right now my issue is I'm down to a quarter can of bullseye......saving that for some wadcutter 38 for bullseye league unless I can work out with @BarnBuilder pick up the can he has graciously offered me. I'll be in touch with him soon to get out his way ans pick that up.

So anyway I have an old can of 700x and I'm making up 100 each using the 200 grain swqged lswc.....that powder meters like doritos......so.....went for mid charge according to Lyman and getting 4.6 to 4.9 grains per Drop and I'm going to have to be fine with that. Data says 4.4 to 5.2 so it is what it is. That powder is flakey.

300 mixed brass and about 100 nickel wichchester once fired will be in the mail today. Already tumbled. Just pay it forward some day.

View attachment 520679
Received - @whacko was exceedingly generous

Pay it forward
22/250 and 243 dies up for grabs
From back when $15 was several hours pay

One or both - just please ask only if you are going to use them.

Attachments

• IMG_20210909_184808833_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210909_184808833_HDR.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 7

Pay it forward

Outstanding.

I'm pickin up some paid forward powder from @BarnBuilder tomorrow. He's very generous.

Tested 45acp with 200 grain swaged swc.....6.3 grains cfe pistol. VERY light recoil almost felt like it barely cycled the 1911. Accurate enough for plate shooting. Spent cases had alot of soot on them. I'm thinking this is a sign of too low of a pressure built up? The online data from hidgedon recommends 7.8 grains of that powder for 200 grain cast projos and that velocity is estimated at well over 1000fps. I went with 6.3 figuring I'd keep swaged at 800 or so. I'm not sure what to do......maybe is the soot on the spent cases a sign of under pressure?
CFE is very clean once you get it up to speed.
Great powder - I like silhouette a little better but not by much (but it needs to run hotter to clean up)

Pay it forward

I would be interested in the .243 dies and would be glad to reimburse your costs. Looking to get set up for a few deer calibers

Back
Top Bottom