• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I loaded some of these Sierra 170 gr 357 bullets I forgot I had. Unfortunately it seems the bullets are slightly undersized (my calipers say .3565”). Takes next to no effort to seat the bullets. They still move a little bit after a firm crimp when I press them against my bench.
Oh well. I only have 100 of them.
View attachment 474840
I have those exact bullets, same box and vintage. I can't put my hands on them at the moment to measure them, but I can pull up my notes and I've had good luck running them at 100 yards, loaded in Starline brass with CCI #500 primers and 13.3 grains of 2400 loaded to 1.566" OAL. Average speed out of a 6" 586 was 1203fps with a 25fps SD. I tried 13.6 grains and got 1333fps average speed, but had hard extraction and cratered primers with that load.

I have those exact bullets, same box and vintage. I can't put my hands on them at the moment to measure them, but I can pull up my notes and I've had good luck running them at 100 yards, loaded in Starline brass with CCI #500 primers and 13.3 grains of 2400 loaded to 1.566" OAL. Average speed out of a 6" 586 was 1203fps with a 25fps SD. I tried 13.6 grains and got 1333fps average speed, but had hard extraction and cratered primers with that load.

I was just going to load some of these up with 2400 and was thinking of 13gr but you both saying 13.3gr is a good one so I'm going to try that in a 5" 27-2.

I loaded some of these Sierra 170 gr 357 bullets I forgot I had. Unfortunately it seems the bullets are slightly undersized (my calipers say .3565”). Takes next to no effort to seat the bullets. They still move a little bit after a firm crimp when I press them against my bench.
Oh well. I only have 100 of them.
View attachment 474840

Next batch, remove the decapping pin from a 9mm resizing die and run the tops of the 357 cases into it about a 1/4-3/8 inch. Then bell them with a 9mm flaring die.
This will improve the neck tension and remove some of the slop of the undersized bullets.

Next batch, remove the decapping pin from a 9mm resizing die and run the tops of the 357 cases into it about a 1/4-3/8 inch. Then bell them with a 9mm flaring die.
This will improve the neck tension and remove some of the slop of the undersized bullets.

@andrew1220 this is the problem. I just tried seating one of mine in a 357 case I prepped (sized, primed, belled) and it doesn't go in past the slight flare I made (maybe 1/4") in them with my Lee 357 dies.

It works in .45.
Just like everything else, results are all application based.
Tried it way back, heres what I found-

.45 acp is one of those odd cartridges that will work with anything. You could take an equal mix of sun-dried dog swirls from out in the yard, grind up some match heads with it ( Ohio blue tips work best) and launch a 230 gr head with enough oomph to cycle. Its one of my favoriteistist rounds to shoot in large quantities. Nothin says "wrong house" like 230 grains of hatred. I'll be buried with my .45.

Unique is one of those.....................unique........powders that have a broad application range. I think it goes from .25 acp all the way up to shotgun loads. I'm pretty sure theres some cast rifle loads out there too. Had really good luck with it in .44 spl and mag, but thats not this.

Heres what I ran into with .45 acp and unique.
It works fairly well with 230 gr heads. It works with 200's, but it was blah (for a lack of a better description)
It works with 250/ 255's but I had a bigger s.d./ f.p.s. spread and I was trying to hit a consistent p.f.
Played around with charge weights and o.a.l's and noticed it smoked a lot compared to other powders. What I pulled for parameters at the time was out of a Hornady manual, and I tried it in both jacketed 230's and cast 230's and 200's. Soot was another more noticeable by-product.
Probably not a huge deal or maybe more manageable if its slow/ slower fire type shooting.
Not ideal for rapid or speed shooting. Has a lot to do with barrel length and burn rate.
More noticable inside than outside. If you're going to try and run a 5/ 7/ 8/ 10 shot string, you'll notice you're shooting through a cloud. Not the best for an indoor plate or bowling pin match.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just passing along a heads up of what I've run into with it.
I hope your results are better than mine.
Unigue does well in reduced rifle loads also

Finished reloading this batch of 150gr .308 then converted everything over to small primers just in time to drop a sleeve of srp on the floor on its way to the rf100...

Like a wad of ones blowing out the car window! Hope you don't have long cut carpeting.😆

Eh, shit happens. At least they're all in one place.....more or less.

Loaded up a hundred of the 45acp 230gr XTPs over Accurate #5. Probably do the other hundred tonight or tomorrow.

2 new PSA 5.56 complete w/ BCG and CH uppers on the way, one 10.5"and one 16". That completes the AR build program here.......for now anyway. Hey, with 110 acres, I can always pitch a tent if my wife throws me out. ( very unlikely, she is with the program 100%.👍

Finished reloading this batch of 150gr .308 then converted everything over to small primers just in time to drop a sleeve of srp on the floor on its way to the rf100...
I had something similar happen when I first started using the Lee Safety Prime. It has "Open", "Lock", and "On" settings for the transfer of primers to the tray, keeping the tray cover locked until ready, and turning it on to load the primer arm, respectively. Well, one time I put it to "Open" when getting ready to load, and all the primers went all over the basement floor. I did manage to find them all, but what a PITA.

Since then, I have set up a berm around my reloading setup using the cheap pipe insulation tubes. I cut the pieces in half lengthwise and lay them on the floor around the area. It has made it much easier to find the stray component that may fall on the floor, regardless of what it is.

Back
Top Bottom