• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

It was full when we started. Maybe half or a little more gone.
If your running efficiently you should be able to to run 500lbs plus on a 20lb tank.- Highly dependent of actual full weight. Even the local fill places around me now short fill tanks.

Been a while since i kept track of costs but my best run was processing 635lbs in one session. Wind block around the burner, warming weights in the sun . Tank was full at 19lbs. Had a some gas left when done IIRC i paid 2.80g to fill that tank , say $16 = .02-.03¢ a lb of lead in propane cost.

Mind you my first 300lbs of lead I processed was with a few free partially filled tanks. So Im already ahead $60 or so in propane!
The way lead collection has been going it will be a few years before I seen several hundred pounds again. I do have enough on hand to support my needs. No where as much as some lead hoarders out there.

Close to the reloading room
Little bit of turning and plenty of fit, sand, repeat.
Need to get the argon bottle refilled so I can finish things up.

Attachments

• IMG_20210417_201810240.jpg
    IMG_20210417_201810240.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210417_201913563.jpg
    IMG_20210417_201913563.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210417_201852944.jpg
    IMG_20210417_201852944.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 7
Finished my practice loads for 6.5 Creedmoor....it is so easy that it almost takes the fun out of it. I wanted a cheapo rifle to practice wind calls with, so I bought a Savage Axis, replaced the barrel with a Shilen 26" 1:9" 6.5 CM select match barrel, threw it in an MDT LSS chassis, put on a trigger kit, a picatinny rail, and a Vortex scope with turrets, a Magpul bipod and buttstock. I forget who made the muzzle brake but it's aggressive. The receiver wouldn't fit AICS magazines, so I took an angle grinder to it and now....it does. This is s not a work of art.

So I wanted to get a load worked up for it, and I wanted it to be simple, so I went with Lapua small rifle brass, Rem #7.5 primers, Hodgdon Superformance powder, and Berger Hybrid 153 grain bullets. I worked the loads up to max pressures and then backed down a grain to reduce throat erosion. Getting 2700 FPS, which is enough for the 800 yard range that is close with my available elevation from the turrets.

Anyway, from a bipod I got 0.56 0.6 and 0.42 MOA the other day from 5 shot groups. It's not some kind of world beater, but the goal for this build is minimal effort to get to 0.5 MOA so that I can cheaply practice wind calls and eventually get into PRS. From that stand point, the juice to squeeze ratio was amazing and I'm happy.

Is this a compensator, or a suppressor?
Compensator - not worthy of a suppressor here in the communist republic.
Wanted a brake that I could be more polite tto other shooters when the range is crowded.
Was pretty cheap but they didn't deburr the ports so I'm going to spend an hour with riffling files and cold blue.

Compensator - not worthy of a suppressor here in the communist republic.
Wanted a brake that I could be more polite tto other shooters when the range is crowded.
Was pretty cheap but they didn't deburr the ports so I'm going to spend an hour with riffling files and cold blue.
Ah okay, a little googling shows linear compensators.

The first time I shot next to someone with a short barrel AR that had a normal side port compensator, I was astonished at the concussion. It was like getting smacked in the side of the head. I had double earpro so it wasn't ringing my ears, but it was definitely shaking my vision.

Made a quick batch of 50 rounds 357.

158 grain jsp upped my charge of unique from 7.4 to 8.0

Last batch I made at 7.4 barely felt like a magnum load. Max is 8.3 though.

Funny......using a 125 grain projo and 9.4 grains of unique is actually a warm load even through my blackhawk.

Could never figure out where Unique sits.
Its either a really slow double base or a really fast single base.

Were those for your snub?
For the blackhawk and the Henry. I've been liking the load in a 125 grain at almost max charge and so does the blackhawk. Very accurate at 9.4 grains and a healthy recoil.....in a good way. Just odd that in the 158 grain loadings it feels like a 38 special.

Back
Top Bottom