• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

p..

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So one of the local shops had a coffee can full of cast 158(ish) grain 38 semi wadcutters from an estate sale for a nice price that I couldn't resist. I don't have bullet lube. But I do have automatic transmission assembly lube. This is fine, right?
View attachment 425834
Emptied 50 of these that had been set on top of 3.5 grains of Red Dot. Nice little indoor 50 foot paper punching load. Not eardrum shattering. Standing, off hand, double action, was getting about a 3" group at 50 feet out of an old 6" S&W 586 and I'm sure that was me just being shaky. A little smoky, also did not seem to blow the cases out against the chamber all the way, some soot down the outside of the case walls. Could probably go up a little bit.

This load seemed to lead my revolver a little more than 3.8 grains of Titegroup did, but were not as loud, and were less flashy. Leading mostly at the front of the cylinder and the forcing cone, not so much the bore. Cleaned up with Hoppes #9, a few patches, and a few passes with a bronze brush. Indoor range at night, so no chrono data.

Tallahassee

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
If their fainting goats please video. I can watch them all day.
Goats didn't faint. The 4.8gr was a lot cleaner. That was good. It's a snappy little load, we'll see if the daughter likes it.
Ramshot needs to put some True Blue back out. I might try clean shot the next time I see some for sale.

jpm

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I pulled some cases out of my bag of range brass and found a handful of them which have an off center flash hole. Interestongly enough, only GFL brass had this issue.

Some so far off center that I don't think my depriming die will even line up correctly.

Are you sure those aren't Berdan primed? See if there's actually 2 flash holes

p..

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I pulled some cases out of my bag of range brass and found a handful of them which have an off center flash hole. Interestongly enough, only GFL brass had this issue.

Some so far off center that I don't think my depriming die will even line up correctly.
In my limited experience with GFL and GECO brass in 357 magnum, it seems like I need to pay extra attention when prepping them to cull things that aren't awesome, compared to Federal or CCI or Winchester or Speer or Starline. Also they seem to have a lot of variation in length after sizing once fired stuff, so the first time I go through a batch of either I trim them. After that they seem fine.

Klal

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Are you sure those aren't Berdan primed? See if there's actually 2 flash holes
Definitely boxer primed. Just off center. I put them through the depriming/resizing die and they worked fine. One needed some force, but I guess the die compensates for enough variation to make it work. Maybe I'm just being picky. All the starline brass is perfect. One of the GFL cases is even noticeably longer than the others. The herters brass is fine, I just stuck it aside for now.

They're still going in the reject box which I'll shoot when I just feel like tube dumping at pumpkins. See the one in the middle.

20210304_093354.jpg

jpm

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Wow that's pretty crappy, unless the intent is to make it non-reloadable or not easily reloadable. From my experience, Herters brass sucks anyway, I tossed a bunch of it in 44mag because the primer pockets are just a little small and primers don't seat in them without a lot of effort and swearing lol.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Definitely boxer primed. Just off center. I put them through the depriming/resizing die and they worked fine. One needed some force, but I guess the die compensates for enough variation to make it work. Maybe I'm just being picky. All the starline brass is perfect. One of the GFL cases is even noticeably longer than the others. The herters brass is fine, I just stuck it aside for now.

They're still going in the reject box which I'll shoot when I just feel like tube dumping at pumpkins. See the one in the middle.

View attachment 457337
Those are not bad. Stolen from the internet but I have had the same issue with this brass , perfecta and that MaxxBrass stuff, it all went bang

Attachments

• 41BA1E91-C416-448B-AFEF-2C539C7F796C.jpeg
    41BA1E91-C416-448B-AFEF-2C539C7F796C.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 2

pastera

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

I had a 100% failure on GFL brass for 380 acp recently and only two winchester (damaged cases)
The GFL would not fit in the shell plate and had no obvious damage - ended up tossing a couple dozen cases

whacko

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 457337
I've been tossing out any GFL brass i have as I sort it. Had lots of problems with priming that 357 brass in the past....they just don't feel right when priming and had many I couldn't even get a new primer into. Also had quite a few of those that were long and buckled the brass when crimping. I just toss that brand now. Not even sure where I got that GFL stuff......saved my brass for years in 5 gallon pails and come across some every now and again when I dip into the pail.....they go right in the trash can now.

wegman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I have been sizing/trimming 7.62x39 brass on the 650, several different headstamps. The Winchester and Remington are okay as are the S&B. Geco and Fiocchi have given fits as some of the Geco with dented rims gets stuck or won't go into the shell plate. These all get shitcanned, just not worth the effort. The Geco and Fiocchi I've had a hell of a time forcing CCI #200 LRP's into...had to resort to using an RCBS bench priming tool and even that has been a beeotch. Then I tried the WLR's. They must be smaller in diameter as they went in a lot easier, but still pretty snug. All these have the primer pockets uniformed with a carbide tool, so not a question of not enough depth.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I have been sizing/trimming 7.62x39 brass on the 650, several different headstamps. The Winchester and Remington are okay as are the S&B. Geco and Fiocchi have given fits as some of the Geco with dented rims gets stuck or won't go into the shell plate. These all get shitcanned, just not worth the effort. The Geco and Fiocchi I've had a hell of a time forcing CCI #200 LRP's into...had to resort to using an RCBS bench priming tool and even that has been a beeotch. Then I tried the WLR's. They must be smaller in diameter as they went in a lot easier, but still pretty snug. All these have the primer pockets uniformed with a carbide tool, so not a question of not enough depth.
Possible crimp pocket?

Demoman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

View attachment 457337
Here is a hole box way off center. Of course its perfecta but I'll load it and let the kids shoot it of of a repeater and not worry about picking it up

whacko

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorted a tumbler worth of 38 and 357.

Loaded 100 45acp berry plated 230 rn woth 5 grains bullseye.

That recipe is a nice easy one to run through thr turret. Bullseye meters great so no adjusting.....the projos are nice and clean unlike swaged lead with lube....and hardly any crimp so seating and crimping is just bump and go.

Want to load up 400 or so of that recipe before moving onto something else.

Top Bottom