• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Finished up the last 100 380's after detonating a primer on the middle of a run this weekend.
Had to disassemble the primer trough and clean it out - was getting about 50% missed primers until I cleaned it.

Broke the disconnector on my autodrum and now it doesn't reset correctly - just pulled the disconnector and will run without it until I can get parts from Lee.

Spent more time futzing around with the disconnector than it took to load the 100 even with the priming issues before cleaning.

Oh sorted about 750 peice of LC brass by year than deprived them all. Than picked up all the primers off the ground 🙄. I think it’s time to upgrade the decapper to one with a spring. I stopped by Joblot today and found a bunch of plastic shoeboxes 10 for 10 bucks and some more ziplocks. Slowly sorting through all my brass trying to stay organized.

Oh sorted about 750 peice of LC brass by year than deprived them all. Than picked up all the primers off the ground 🙄. I think it’s time to upgrade the decapper to one with a spring. I stopped by Joblot today and found a bunch of plastic shoeboxes 10 for 10 bucks and some more ziplocks. Slowly sorting through all my brass trying to stay organized.
i hav e been sorting brass all winter. Need to figure out where to put all these bags and boxes now. Before they fit neatly stacked in 4 5g buckets.
reminds me have to do a cruise through the dump and find more square buckets with the flip lids

Discovered something I was unaware of with the 265 grain Hornady interlock .44 projos I bought and used for my first test of 44mag. They are .430 diameter which is fine.....and the box lists them as "44cal". That bullet is actually designed for use in 444 marlin reloading. Did some research and they can be used safely in 44 mag (my Lyman lists them in the tables)but the cannrlure is a bit higher than most jacketed bullets made for 44 mag. I discovered this when getting my oal set......to get the 1.61 oal the case is at the absolute top of the cannelure.

1. They worked and cycled just fine in my ruger 44 carbine. In fact they grouped very well.

2. The projo is designed to expand at 444 marlin rifle velocities which is over 2000 fps generally. So......to hunt with these I should expect very little sxpansion.

3. Many use this projo in revolvers and like the accuracy......although they expansion is almost 0 for hunting at handgun velocities.

Just some info to put out there.

Last edited:
i hav e been sorting brass all winter. Need to figure out where to put all these bags and boxes now. Before they fit neatly stacked in 4 5g buckets.
reminds me have to do a cruise through the dump and find more square buckets with the flip lids
I love the square buckets much better use of space! I got a few from work but expensive to try and buy.

I love the square buckets much better use of space! I got a few from work but expensive to try and buy.
Got to find someone with a cat some kitty litter comes in square buckets. Why are buckets generally round is it for strength for side impact. Not that it matters for brass storage.

Lexan containers for food storage. Like cambro or Carlisle brand. Not cheap but they hold up great. You can get the opaque ones for short money.

.357Sig; 147grn Sierra flatnose over 10.3 grn Accurate #9, Remington Small pistol magnum primers.

I have a Glock G31, (think 17 frame with a slightly thicker/heavier slide), that's chambered in .357Sig. I've shot it a couple times, been thinking of using it as a pin gun. Loaded up some rounds Sunday morning and took it to the range.

It works pretty well as a pin gun. I'm very used to the 17/34 frame, and it's got the same sights as my iron sighted 17/34s, (Dawsons with green pipes). Little more recoil, lot more flash than my 9mm standard load. Took the pins right off the table.

Now that I know it works, I'm probably going to get the slide cut and mount a Trijicon SRO on it, 'cause the pin matches I shoot in CT let you run optics. Which means that I've got a 1911 in CT with optic that I'll probably sell/trade...

1614089648719.png IMG_2058.JPG

Primed 100 cases of 44 mag last night on my single stage. I'm already starting to check out the Dillon website only 2+ months into reloading...uh oh. 550c looks pretty good!

The 550 is like the all-around workhorse of the line up. You won't be disappointed with it.

So I think I’m about done with the load development on my tikka. Shot very good today other than me fudging up the last round of the day. Not gonna say speculate if it was me or the load but man that woulda been my best group ever. 15 rounds at 24gr and 15 at 24.2 grains everything else the same. Both first 5 round groups were clean gun and found out she doesn’t like to be clean which is good cause I hate cleaning 😆.

I also ran some hitek coated through a g43. Acme with cfe pistol. Only about 25 or so rounds but barrel looks a lot better than my 1911 with same round. I’ve been playing around with this bullet and different powders trying to clean it up in the 1911 but I’ve come to conclusion it’s just a tad too small and can’t keep leading down.

since threads are useless without pics. View attachment 453145View attachment 453146View attachment 453147
Mudflap,

I assume those are 100 yd. groups.

When folks ask about the best factory rifle to start shooting the Silhouette sport, the universal answer is always Tikka.

I've watched folks shooting stock Tikka's at the VBR matches in down Ridgway PA, albiet not chambered in .223.
They placed well in the 12lb. Hunter class.

C

Mudflap,

I assume those are 100 yd. groups.

When folks ask about the best factory rifle to start shooting the Silhouette sport, the universal answer is always Tikka.

I've watched folks shooting stock Tikka's at the VBR matches in down Ridgway PA, albiet not chambered in .223.
They placed well in the 12lb. Hunter class.

C
Hey C yes that’s 100 yards. I’m very happy with the two I have so far. Imo compared to other factory rifles in the price range they cannot be beat. Build quality is excellent and one of the smoothest factory actions I’ve felt. Seems the aftermarket support is coming along as well, you can trick these things out easily.
I’m Hoping to start stretching it out here soon now that I’ve got a load dialed in and can start coming up with some Dope for it. I’ve only got access to about 450 at the moment but that’ll keep me busy. I wanted to keep it simple to start with the 223 and at my available range that’s more than sufficient. My thoughts being it’s still one of the cheapest calibers to reload and it’ll be good training rifle to hone my skills on. If I keep expanding and possibly start competing well I’ll probably have to lean towards something in the 6mm

Hard to find faults with your thoughts,

I'm willing to bet your Tikka will shoot the same size, or perhaps smaller groups at 200.
You're bullets will have " gone to sleep" by then.

Folks chuckle about that term.

Read some stuff about old rifles and old riflemen.
H.M. Pope talked quite a bit about it.
Ned Roberts, Warren Page and others.
ODG's (old dead guys) understood the term pretty well.

Just got one of my presses re mounted and set after the move. Just a step in the right direction still half to put up peg board and shelves behind was thinking of losing my reloading bench for a roll around box any do that do you need to back up the top with plate on a mid grade box.

Setup my LE Wilson case trimmer redneck ghetto style.

View attachment 454155

Don’t hate on the simple beauty.
I love this thing! I bought a couple large wingnuts and drilled two holes in bench so can quickly screw and unscrew. I was doing what you are with clamps but they were always in my way lol. Another lil tip I found out hard way if you keep your holders oiled make sure to wipe down the inside before using cause I got a case stuck the other day and it wasn’t fun. It was almost like getting stuck in a die 😂.

I was able to fully process a cpl hundred peice of brass after sorting yesterday. Loaded up 50 rounds last night on the Dillon.

This time I sped it up and went as fast as the chargemaster allowed which was still an easy pace. Out of 50 rounds I had 9 overcharges on the scale that had to get re-dropped so I think the McDonald’s straw mod is in the future.

The Dillon ran like a champ, still keeping spread of 1/2 thousandth off my target seating depth so I’m happy. I am not sure how much if any is related to the toolhead setup but I’ll probably use these Armonov heads for all my rifle stuff. Having the ability to free float all stations independently of one another is nice.

I’m now debating wether to set up the other toolhead I have as a dedicated brass prep toolhead with just a decap and size station. Currently I’m decapping than sizing on the Mec.

I love this thing! I bought a couple large wingnuts and drilled two holes in bench so can quickly screw and unscrew. I was doing what you are with clamps but they were always in my way lol. Another lil tip I found out hard way if you keep your holders oiled make sure to wipe down the inside before using cause I got a case stuck the other day and it wasn’t fun. It was almost like getting stuck in a die 😂.

I was able to fully process a cpl hundred peice of brass after sorting yesterday. Loaded up 50 rounds last night on the Dillon.

This time I sped it up and went as fast as the chargemaster allowed which was still an easy pace. Out of 50 rounds I had 9 overcharges on the scale that had to get re-dropped so I think the McDonald’s straw mod is in the future.

The Dillon ran like a champ, still keeping spread of 1/2 thousandth off my target seating depth so I’m happy. I am not sure how much if any is related to the toolhead setup but I’ll probably use these Armonov heads for all my rifle stuff. Having the ability to free float all stations independently of one another is nice.

I’m now debating wether to set up the other toolhead I have as a dedicated brass prep toolhead with just a decap and size station. Currently I’m decapping than sizing on the Mec.

I don't have trouble with my clamps and I don't need more holes in my workbench so it will stay like this.

What I did have trouble with is the sizing of my Whiddon .308 dies doesn't fit into the Wilson case holder without a fair bit of force. Then it takes a solid whack or two with a punch to get them out again. Hoping this will get straightened out once the brass is processed by my AR308.

Does the case holder say FIRED or NEW?
Pretty sure they make two different holders.

They aren’t suppose so slide all the way into the holder but do need to be snug to stop the case from spinning when trimmed. I insert case than slightly tap it on bench to seat into the holder, trim, than take out and slightly tap again to remove. It took a little bit for me to find the sweet spot of how much I need to tap lol.

Well that's fine, I bought a fired holder off eBay last night bc I thought I had lost the 308 holder... Then found it. So I will be good lol

When the Wilson site said "New", I thought they meant it was a new design... learn something new er'yday.

New... It does trim to minimum case length perfectly though, just requires some effort to do so.
I’m really happy with the trimmer it’s incredibly accurate! I’m already thinking of adding a lil power screwdriver to it tho cause after cpl hundred last night my hand hurt haha.

I was looking at a bucket of range 223 stuff last night I wanna start processing for plinking stuff and was like no Effing way I’m doing them on this. WFT or Giraurd gonna need to be ordered lol.

I’m really happy with the trimmer it’s incredibly accurate! I’m already thinking of adding a lil power screwdriver to it tho cause after cpl hundred last night my hand hurt haha.

I was looking at a bucket of range 223 stuff last night I wanna start processing for plinking stuff and was like no Effing way I’m doing them on this. WFT or Giraurd gonna need to be ordered lol.

I have a tri-way or whatever its called and the consistency wasn't there for me. Royal pain in the ass to adjust too. Will have to break it out again when I need to size 223 in bulk though bc I'm not cranking bulk 223 through the Wilson.

I will use the Wilson for small runs of accuracy loads not bulk stuff.

I have a tri-way or whatever its called and the consistency wasn't there for me. Royal pain in the ass to adjust too. Will have to break it out again when I need to size 223 in bulk though bc I'm not cranking bulk 223 through the Wilson.

I will use the Wilson for small runs of accuracy loads not bulk stuff.
This good to know because I was leaning towards it because it chamfers too. There is another one , the trim it ii , but I’ve also hear mixed reviews.

Back
Top Bottom