• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

The

I did take them to the indoor range this past Sunday... the few I shot went off without a hitch and felt really really nice, I do want to run them thru the chrono before I shoot anymore. But based on what I shot Saturday I figure they might be around 950-975 fps went Thru my canik tp9sfx. Unable to test in my x5 legion as it is in disrepair, I can’t seem to get the red dot to stay on tight just keeps moving and loosens up. Awaiting some new hardware to come in and see if that helps. thanks again for the bullets.
Awesome. Happy to hear it.

Checking oal on every round is excessive in my opinion. When I'm reloading on the turret I check oal and charge weight every 10. So when I'm filling a 100 round box I check the weight and oal at the start of each row. I check the primer seating depth by feel on every round when I put the finished round in the case.....just touch the primer with my finger as I put it in.

I use an EGW gauge checker, and run my thumb over the top of the rounds when they're in the gauge to make sure no primer(s) sticking up.

Yes. Or at least GFL.
Theres about half a dozen headstamps that'll give you grief.
AA USA, Aguila, Sig are a few.
Once you amass a lot then its time to sit down and sort by headstamp. I'll keep win, fed, hornady and maybe one or two more. Toss the rest.

Checking oal on every round is excessive in my opinion. When I'm reloading on the turret I check oal and charge weight every 10. So when I'm filling a 100 round box I check the weight and oal at the start of each row. I check the primer seating depth by feel on every round when I put the finished round in the case.....just touch the primer with my finger as I put it in.

Thank you both for the info, I'll note to dumpster Fiocchi, & I agree that I think checking every round is excessive since feeling the primer would have tipped me off that the case wasn't going to work. I also now know to trash the brass when I have that much difficulty seating the primer.

Thanks fellas!

So I'm a relative virgin with reloading. Translation: I technically had sex, still don't know what I'm doing.

So, I've reloaded and successfully shot about 200 rounds (9mm) of my reloads without destroying my gun. Big win. Few questions, I'm checking the OAL for every single round after I'm done seating/crimping, is this overkill or normal?

To that point, that process has led me to only two rounds out of 200 that exceeded OAL, & both of those are a function of the primer sticking out too far on my newest batch. Now, I remember these two bastards because when I seated the primers on only these two cases I had to use a decent amount more force compared to the rest. I ignored them at that time knowing that if there was an issue I'd catch it when checking OAL down the road. Which I did, & noted that both the rounds were the same headstamped brass, "GFL" which I assume is Fiocchi since this brass is all my own spent casings.

So the 2nd question; is Fiocchi brass notorious for being finicky?
That’s odd. Fiocchi doesn't give me issues.

That’s odd. Fiocchi doesn't give me issues.

It was only these two particular cases, but I thought it was odd that the same issue presented itself twice & were with Fiocchi brass exclusively. However, there was definitely other Fiocchi cases that didn't have any issues. I'm just not seasoned enough at this yet to process idiosyncrasies or determine consistent trends.

There was a list of "Bad Headstamps" floating around the interwebs a few years ago.
Mostly had to do with primer pockets and the cases loading what looked like lopsided or non-concentric.
I don't think it mattered what caliber (for handgun) , they were just bad across the board.

Heres a partial list-

Of course its all subjective, but you'll find some common ones listed as bad depending on what websites come back in a search engine.

My son is in the basement making up some more 357 mag 🤣

He made 100 rounds the other night and shot 50 of them at the club with his friend the next morning. He wants to take his girlfriend to the range Saturday.....on his own he said "to build up some stock ill only shoot half what load up". Chip off the old block he is!!!

Meh. I'm not sure it's a good idea to generalize too much. Amerc brass might be bad across the board, some others, too, but with the big brands my experience is that certain head stamp can be problematic in some calibers while in others simply not at all so. The priming tool can matter. The primers can matter. The brass batch probably matters with some head stamps. I hear all the time about how bad S&B is supposed to be, but I've loaded maybe a 1500 of them and all I've ever noticed was that the primer took a little bit more force going in, same to seat a bullet. No biggie at all. OTOH, I have a baggie of CBC 9mm cases that look great but gave me fits to prime last time I loaded them. No clue. 44 Magnum CBC brass loads just fine in every respect, 357 magnum as well, though both are on the thin side. Loaded a bunch of Win 9mm cases with no problem, then recently had the pleasure of mashing primers into several of them and decided not to use those again. I'll bet somebody's got a a bucket full of CBCs and WINs that never gave them any problems at all.

funny , you never really know what someone will look like by voice. I did not expect fortunecookie to be asian decent , never thought to deep into his youtube name.
Thats said. I tried toilet bowl ring was for bullet lube. Then ones I tried had a dirty unrefined smell similar to differential fluid. It smoke like a SOB.

Cleaning up odds & ends, came across some early failed attempts at loading 223. Good opportunity to figure out how the Hornady Cam Lock Bullet Puller works (I bought it awhile ago but never used it). In summary, it works well.
I too have the Hornady cam lock puller with the 9mm collet and it’s ok, it seems to work better on Jacketed bullets and ok on some copper plated, doesn’t seem grip the Polycoated without damaging the coating, but It also depends on the bullet shape, some shapes it just doesn’t grip it without damaging the bullet head. If you are not concerned about saving the bullet heads then this is your tool. I find myself going back to the kinetic hammer/remover. JMO

I too have the Hornady cam lock puller with the 9mm collet and it’s ok, it seems to work better on Jacketed bullets and ok on some copper plated, doesn’t seem grip the Polycoated without damaging the coating, but It also depends on the bullet shape, some shapes it just doesn’t grip it without damaging the bullet head. If you are not concerned about saving the bullet heads then this is your tool. I find myself going back to the kinetic hammer/remover. JMO
Collet pullers suck with pistol bullets. Hammer is the way to go!

Started loading some .50bmg AP last night and continued on this morning.

Using IVI brass that was rifle fired, sized and trimmed to 3.90 inches.

CCI #35 primers

210 grains of WC-860 pulldown powder.

695 grain black tip AP projos.

I also loaded a few @ 215 grains.
Keeping my loads light to preserve the brass.

Will be testing them this weekend @ 100 yds.

Started loading some .50bmg AP last night and continued on this morning.

Using IVI brass that was rifle fired, sized and trimmed to 3.90 inches.

CCI #35 primers

210 grains of WC-860 pulldown powder.

695 grain black tip AP projos.

I also loaded a few @ 215 grains.
Keeping my loads light to preserve the brass.

Will be testing them this weekend @ 100 yds.

May god have mercy on whatever you shoot that at.

funny , you never really know what someone will look like by voice. I did not expect fortunecookie to be asian decent , never thought to deep into his youtube name.
Thats said. I tried toilet bowl ring was for bullet lube. Then ones I tried had a dirty unrefined smell similar to differential fluid. It smoke like a SOB.
Same issue here - zero leading even with 357 mag loading but you would think it was black powder.

I haven't reloaded in over twenty years and yesterday after making trips locally I found out the hard way getting supplies won't be easy, especially living in Mass.
Powder isn’t too hard to get. But yes primers are very tough to get especially SPP. What calibers you looking to reload?

So do you have a press but no components or?

Last edited:
You need to look and look often , seems right now vendors have min on primers.
My friend was able to tool up and get loading through covid. Press and tools where picked up in july and the chase for components was on.
He was able to scrounge brass 380,45 and 30-30
Bullets where next, he came across some coated bullets for 45 and 30/30 and bought them all. They seem well made, no name on the box. Paid .15 cents each.
Now powder, well I gave him some powder for the 30-30 loads.
he then scored on one of midways no hazmat deals ordered 3k of each sp,lp,LR,SR and a few lbs of various powders.
He just got a order over black friday weekend that had free hazmat and 10% off and picked up 6-8lb jugs of powder. Even scored varget. Which was a surprise for me, it was also at "normal " prices.

I put the Armanov roller bearing on the Dillon 650 and it indexes much more smoothly. I tried it out loading some .45acp and .45/70 with Kings coated bullets and it works great. I'd recommend this upgrade to anyone who uses a 650 but the shipping was more than the cost of the part. My daughter ordered it because she gets free shipping from amazon.

I put the Armanov roller bearing on the Dillon 650 and it indexes much more smoothly. I tried it out loading some .45acp and .45/70 with Kings coated bullets and it works great. I'd recommend this upgrade to anyone who uses a 650 but the shipping was more than the cost of the part. My daughter ordered it because she gets free shipping from amazon.
Do you have a part number or link? Also, I see on amazon there is some neat stuff from them, but its pretty expensive

Some must have upgrades for the Dillon 650 in my opinion are the primer shut off switch, roller bearing and the softer spring and ball that go under the shell plate. These parts are made by Snowshooz on eBay.

They also make a case feed disconnect but I didn’t get it since there’s easier ways to do that without spending money.

Back
Top Bottom