• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I know. It is possible to over crimp which can actually remove the neck tension. I did that once when I was new to reloading. That's why I checked by testing if they spun or pushed in. I was trying to rule that out.
With light bullets you don’t have a lot of resistance so you need a pretty heavy crimp. If you have a crimp cannelure and a proper roll or collet crimp you shouldn’t undersize anywhere except the crimp section. Pull some factory ammo and see how heavy the crimp is. Sometimes it’s scary.

Just loaded 26 new Korean 5.56 AR mags.

EDIT: Picked up these from the post office this afternoon. Wheeler Engineering gunsmithing screwdriver/bit set and F.A.T. Wrench in-lb torque wrench. Nice additions to the gun toolbox. image.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, Norman's 6.5mm 150g. I have a sporterized m1896; the first long gun I ever purchased. It has a 2x EER Leupold scope which makes for easy target acquisition with my older eyes.
The Lyman 266469 (140gr GCRP) shoot better, but I don't think Norm had them at the time I ordered. Actually, I have the 266469 mold, but why bother casting when I can simply order from Norm at his decent prices. Also, I haven't progressed onto the coating process.

Last edited:
Well I rolled up 200 of Montana Gold 124gr cmj with OAL of 1.135 and 4.0 grain of Sport pistol and they ran good through both the pm9 and Glock. I did notice that about 1 in 10 had a weak ejection in the 1911 wondering if it’s because it on lower end of the charge range. No malfunctions which was pleasing.

A few more common calibers that everybody wants....
A friend acquired a vz52, so let's see if I can roll some functional ammo with 6.5 Remington, 6.5x54mm and other similar brass with my 7.62x39mm dies adjusted accordingly.
At least I have dies for the 6.5 Carcano. Pushing .277" diameter bullets through the .243 Winchester sizer die gives me some .2685" diameter bullets.
Until my friend gets his Carcano up here, I won't know if Norm's .266" diameter bullets will print just fine, as is.

Attachments

• vz52a1.jpg
    vz52a1.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 5
  • 6.5Carcano1.jpg
    6.5Carcano1.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Stupid????? question. My boy was at Kittery this am and got me a universal primer popper die. Got the 2 buckets to do. Am I better off doing my deprimer and size die.?? Don't plan on loading them for a bit. Thanks... Stash

I have an RCBS turret press. I usually collect a bunch of brass and half ass clean it in an old juice container with water and Dawn, just to get some of the crap out of it. Once I have a nice amount I'll deprime and size it, then wet tumble and dry it and toss it in an ammo can. When I get time I prime and flare them, then put those in another ammo can. When I get more time, it's powder and seating bullets.

What did I do in the reloading room?
I finally got the F out of it!
I actually went to 2 ranges today
Did a quick check on some reduced 30-06 loads for a 200 yard cmp match and then went to another club and shot up some 38spl odds and ends out of the chief special.
Put a few on paper at 25 yards and the rest on 10” steel at 25-50 yards. Fun 4FCE201F-F009-49D9-9E90-A22B68B640DB.jpeg

So I cant use the take photo feature and pictures are getting posted sideways

resized and primed 203 new 6.5 CM cases in prep for loading a number of test charges in the morning. Hopefully I will be able to chrony them tomorrow.

All of my prior reloading has been with the Dillon 650. I used an RCBS Benchtop Auto Priming tool for the Creedmoore as I am using a single stage for loading, and it made very fast work of priming, really good tool with very positive control over primer insertion and it is really fast.

What did I do in the reloading room?
I finally got the F out of it!
I actually went to 2 ranges today
Did a quick check on some reduced 30-06 loads for a 200 yard cmp match and then went to another club and shot up some 38spl odds and ends out of the chief special.
Put a few on paper at 25 yards and the rest on 10” steel at 25-50 yards. FunView attachment 375653

So I cant use the take photo feature and pictures are getting posted sideways
Just give the target 1/4 turn then take the pic. [laugh]

Anyone have any issues with depriming S&B 308 brass? It doesnt look to be crimped and looking inside the case only a single flashhole but they keep pushing back my decap pin on my lee universal. My other brass seems to be depriming fine just the S&B.

I also just ordered a set of redding 223 dies and some shellholders. What a rabbit hole i went down when started this damn reloading thing.

Anyone have any issues with depriming S&B 308 brass? It doesnt look to be crimped and looking inside the case only a single flashhole but they keep pushing back my decap pin on my lee universal. My other brass seems to be depriming fine just the S&B.

I also just ordered a set of redding 223 dies and some shellholders. What a rabbit hole i went down when started this damn reloading thing.
In my experience S&B brass sucks all around. I toss them when I find them.

Geez, between you and @andrew1220 you guys are throwing away headstamps that I use for some calibers. So far the S&B works fine in loading 9mm.
My issue started with tight primer pockets in 45 ACP then the same in 38 special. They actually need to be chamfered almost like they were crimped. Still tight after that. I stopped bothering with any of their brass.

My issue started with tight primer pockets in 45 ACP then the same in 38 special. They actually need to be chamfered almost like they were crimped. Still tight after that. I stopped bothering with any of their brass.

This is what I think is wrong with the 308 brass I got. If you look at Primer pocket it’s really sharp edge not Beveled like others. I tried again was able to recap them but with slow pressure they were definately tight. You think if I run these through the Dillon Swager they’d be ok?

This is what I think is wrong with the 308 brass I got. If you look at Primer pocket it’s really sharp edge not Beveled like others. I tried again was able to recap them but with slow pressure they were definately tight. You think if I run these through the Dillon Swager they’d be ok?
I think that will do the trick for sure.

Just started loading 40 s&w. Using range brass. Didn't know about the case bulge close to the rim on cases fired from certain guns that the resizing die doesn't straighten out. Now I have to resize then check with the guage. Accuracy at 50 yards from a Sig 229 with red dot bench resting was 4 inches with Remington 165 factory. 6 inches with Berry's 165 HBFP. And 14 inches with precision delta 180 FP. (Horrible group) 2 inches at 50 feet . I guess the precision delta are going to be my close range ammo. From what I have heard the 180 grain are best, but I get better results from 165's.

And it will never end...welcome to the club!

Anyone have any issues with depriming S&B 308 brass? It doesnt look to be crimped and looking inside the case only a single flashhole but they keep pushing back my decap pin on my lee universal...

I don't recall having issues with S&B .308, but some brass has extremely small flash holes and will bind or pull the pin from your decapping stem.
just drill them out a tad to keep from binding and you should be good to go.
I believe Hotshot 6.5x55mm (Igman, I think) was the last brass to pull my decap pin apart.

Hornady 308 brass is this way too. I tried swaging and reamed and they still feel like I crushing the primer.

No issues with depriming the S&B but don't think I have come across it much.

is there one flash hole in the middle, or two flash holes off center?

Back
Top Bottom