• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Backstory pertinent info: i have 2 mauser k98s

So i shoot a bunch of 8mm today and i was reloading today, loaded up 10 cases after a few pre prepared rounds i made a long time ago for firings. Pulled out 10 spent cases that could have been from the other mauser. Load them up and go to chamber.. i push the bolt home and then try to lever the bolt knob down and it will not chamber. One case got stuck and we had to use a steel rod to mallet out a live round.. fun.. it worked. Other spent cases will chamber easy after multiple firings But there were a few that would not fully seat. We checked the the brass length was below and we did not see bulged brass or anything. This could have been from the other mauser firing it.

So do i need to start full length sizing all my brass now? What do you recommend? I was thinking the lee pacesetter 3 set, and a breech lock hand press since i am in an apartment

I'd full length resize and trim. The Lee setup will get it done, just have a solid something to mount to.

I would have to buy a breechlock handpress loader as i do not have any place to mount a press

Attachments

• 90685-01.jpg
    90685-01.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 0

So i shoot a bunch of 8mm today and i was reloading today, loaded up 10 cases after a few pre prepared rounds i made a long time ago for firings. Pulled out 10 spent cases that could have been from the other mauser. Load them up and go to chamber.. i push the bolt home and then try to lever the bolt knob down and it will not chamber. One case got stuck and we had to use a steel rod to mallet out a live round.. fun.. it worked. Other spent cases will chamber easy after multiple firings But there were a few that would not fully seat. We checked the the brass length was below and we did not see bulged brass or anything. This could have been from the other mauser firing it.

So do i need to start full length sizing all my brass now? What do you recommend? I was thinking the lee pacesetter 3 set, and a breech lock hand press since i am in an apartment
Yeah you need to full length size the brass since you’re shooting them in 2 different rifles. The chambers aren’t going to be the same.
As far as what press to get I use a lee classic cast single stage for resizing. But that may not be ideal for your situation in an apartment.

Ive done this myself. Screwed press to a piece of 2x and clamped to the kitchen table. Sort of hold the press with one hand while pulling on lever with the other. Certainly less than ideal but that two hand squeezer job looks like a pita. Id think full length resizing rifle brass would be no fun.

Looking around the apartment i do not have a table that is not fragile or a divider like that one. I do have a round metal railing on the balcony but it would require someone to help build a welding clamp to fit around it.

Looking around the apartment i do not have a table that is not fragile or a divider like that one. I do have a round metal railing on the balcony but it would require someone to help build a welding clamp to fit around it.

I made this little bench thing to hold a 10gal fish tank. Now holds my press.. cost probably $10 in 2x4s and no special tools.. saw and drill/driver. Only difference btwn 1st and 2nd pic are paint and an extra set of 2x4s on top.
1584928764951.png 1584928698132.png

yes you can run into case shoulder bump if you are just using the lee classic (whackOround)
As a lee fan , ditch the idea of the hand press for rifle. Buy a single stage press bolt it to a 3/4" of plywood then C clamp that to a table. Or the lee stan?

my friend lives in a small studio apartment. Was able to build a shelf in the small closet and just rolls in the door on a chair and starts loading.

another reloader i know bought this.
Stuck it under the staircase after mounting it to a 3/4" thick plywood cut just big enough to fit the space . Then used 2 1 /2" screws to hold it down to the floor. Tight space but its his only space.

I would have to buy a breechlock handpress loader as i do not have any place to mount a press

I still use this table for my precision loading setup. I built a clubhouse with a reloading room but before the clubhouse I used this in the basement of my old condo and it was sturdy and folds up small. Could be an option.

i bought that harbor freight grinder stand

now i just need to buy a lee press and such and figure out how to mount it

View: https://vimeo.com/181062623

I have not casted in some time.
Took a brake from cleaning up and turned the pot on and put my Lyman 452488 on top

Last time I did anything with casting a mixed up a batch of faux Lyman #2 pet lyman cast loading handbook.

Alloy to temp 650-675’F I set the timer for 30 min. Single cavity mold things go slow. I was thinking about 125 total
One ever 12 seconds would have been really good. With out any effort and just relaxing I hit 106 total. I was using the lee bench plate as a heat sink to try and gain a second or two
image.jpg

Put the spue scrape nack in the pot and bringing out the Ranch Dog 165 gn FN 30 cal next

127 in less than 10 min. The great thing about 6 cavity molds. Only down side is you can rin out of alloy in the pot fast. image.jpg

Ihave about 3lbs left in the pot and im going to do some 314299 for the 7.7, 303 and 54r

Last edited:
I’m running out of stuff to reload with all this down time 😂
I caught up on most of my brass cleaning yesterday 30-06, 7.5x55, 30 Carbine, and 7.62x25. I forgot how much x25 brass I have which will probably never get used since the tokarev doesn’t get shot much anymore. Actually found a couple cases with split necks. I wonder if those power pistol loads are a wee bit too hot...

I loaded a couple hundred rounds of 44 mag with those silhouette bullets over H110. I do have more clean 44 brass I could reload...I suppose.

I could process rifle brass but what fun is that!? And I’m still shooting factory 30-06 and GP11 ammo that I’ve had since 2014 or so. Got plenty.

Or I could keep loading 9mm but I’m getting tired of that....

I have not casted in some time.
Took a brake from cleaning up and turned the pot on and put my Lyman 452488 on top

Last time I did anything with casting a mixed up a batch of faux Lyman #2 pet lyman cast loading handbook.

Alloy to temp 650-675’F I set the timer for 30 min. Single cavity mold things go slow. I was thinking about 125 total
One ever 12 seconds would have been really good. With out any effort and just relaxing I hit 106 total. I was using the lee bench plate as a heat sink to try and gain a second or two
View attachment 341181

Put the spue scrape nack in the pot and bringing out the Ranch Dog 165 gn FN 30 cal next
Nice!
I drained the lead pot a few times this week. Ended up with 2 more akro bins of 359640 170 RNFP and 1 bin of 00 buck.
I’ll be running it some more for sure. I need a bunch of .458” 405 grain bullets to play with this summer.
My mould drops them at about .454” but that works out fine to size down to .453” and paper patch up to about .459”

I’m running out of stuff to reload with all this down time 😂
I caught up on most of my brass cleaning yesterday 30-06, 7.5x55, 30 Carbine, and 7.62x25. I forgot how much x25 brass I have which will probably never get used since the tokarev doesn’t get shot much anymore. Actually found a couple cases with split necks. I wonder if those power pistol loads are a wee bit too hot...

I loaded a couple hundred rounds of 44 mag with those silhouette bullets over H110. I do have more clean 44 brass I could reload...I suppose.

I could process rifle brass but what fun is that!? And I’m still shooting factory 30-06 and GP11 ammo that I’ve had since 2014 or so. Got plenty.

Or I could keep loading 9mm but I’m getting tired of that....
Boy if you only had another hobby related to shooting that would be fun and beneficial.
🤔😂

Back
Top Bottom