• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Gentlemen, introducing the 357 Mag...Short (aka 357 Mag FUBAR). My list of excuses:

My excuse is that my son left my "357 Magnum" seating die set for 38 special (which he loads a lot more of than I do...but he loads only sporadically). It is usually followed by an attempt to use the kinetic puller just right so that I can pluck out the bullet in hopes of getting it resized, reflared, and reseated without losing or contaminating the charge. I'd have to say that my odds are only about 50% on that maneuver: "It's still hard to wiggle out, so just one more hit...damn".

Over the weekend I helped a friend start his journey into reloading, *from basically scratch* he picked up a used Dillon 650XL with a case feeder with dies for 9mm a few weeks back and had him procure the components and other necessary tools to get him safely loading.

I must say, it was my first time reloading on a Dillon machine, as well as using a case feeder, for bulk loading 9mm.... damn is that nice. I totally appreciate the following behind Dillon press' now that I've actually used one. I just wasn't crazy about the powder though expander, it seemed very hard to get it JUST right for coated bullets compared to my Hornady expanding die, of course this was using mixed range brass. Makes me sort of consider getting the case feeder set up for my Hornady LnL.

Received my inexpensive case of Rem Small Pistol primers last week, just waiting on a re-stock of 9mm projectiles to bulk up again.

Received my inexpensive case of Rem Small Pistol primers last week
Nice.
Need any small pistol magnum primers?....I got some for sale at dirt cheap prices....

Nice.
Need any small pistol magnum primers?....I got some for sale at dirt cheap prices....

I've got about 5K worth right now, I have yet to experiment with H110/296 in .357 Magnum to warrant getting any more right now. Good deal for sure though! I've used them when I first started reloading, regular SPP were almost unobtainium back in 2014.

As much as I try to keep up with rifle brass prep during the nicer weather, I never do. So I spend the colder months doing brass prep and hope have everything done by end of march.

So far Ive caught up on the less used calibers, these are all ready to reload, just finished the 7mm 08, 45-70, and 30-30

300+ .270 Win (i want to play with this more this year)
100 7mm 08
300 .223
150 30-30
100 45-70
250 30'06

The remaining brass is all cleaned, but thats it..

Last thing today was a quick inventory of whats still ahead

500 .308 Win
600- 700 .223
100 6.5 CM (definitely need to get some more brass,)

Cleaning around the reloading room and dug up this ol' gem... I found it at a flea market a few years back.
15759346270674597542603530569314.jpg

Some pretty interesting data included, I find that to be a real mild max load of 2400 in .357, of course that's Herculus 2400 of 50+ years ago.

15759347169897482254619818116554.jpg

Makes me want to try loading some 9mm with the copious amounts of Red Dot I've got laying around...
1575934771704873274387892999627.jpg
If anyone else is interested in some vintage data for a specific cartridge, let me know!

Those older manuals are pretty neat. They come in handy when you acquire some obsolete powders, too.

Recently acquired some berdan primers (Dynamit Nobel Nrs. 5620 & 6000), so I've been resurrecting some GP11 brass, as well as some Albanian 54R, surplus 6.5x55mm, .303 British and some 7.62x51mm.

The pamphlet below doesn't list the Nr. 5620, but some of the information may be of use to you. Perhaps, berdan primers can be obtained through D-N (I think it's RUAG now...?) since Murom is out of the picture these days.

According to FedEx it's actually supposed to come today but I am skeptical as all my stuff is getting delayed.
Yeah it ain't coming today--"teleported" via FedEx ground from Phoenix to CT, and said it would be here today. But last update says it left CT at 11:45 PM last night and nothing further, so I highly doubt it's coming today.
Conversely my UPS package is on its third "out for delivery" today, after Saturday it returned to the hub, and yesterday, too.

But fear not, I am picking up another acquisition tonight, although not 7.62 NATO (but pairs nicely with it).

Is there any way to identify magnum vs standard large pistol primers??

I grabbed some 44 mag brass (some of which was primed) from a fellow member who inherited some reloading components and I don’t know which primers they are.

I can tell they’re probably CCI but that’s it. They’ll be used with H110 so I need to ensure they’re magnums. Then again there’s only 11 so I could save them for my 44 spl loads....

Not worth the risk.
5AD80A8A-25F7-47A8-A68D-F2F4AC9551EB.jpeg

Is there any way to identify magnum vs standard large pistol primers??

I grabbed some 44 mag brass (some of which was primed) from a fellow member who inherited some reloading components and I don’t know which primers they are.

I can tell they’re probably CCI but that’s it. They’ll be used with H110 so I need to ensure they’re magnums. Then again there’s only 11 so I could save them for my 44 spl loads....

Not worth the risk.
View attachment 317802
I don't think you can with CCI
IIRC Winchester colors their priming compound different for different primers.
Another reason to use winchesters!

Gentlemen, introducing the 357 Mag...Short (aka 357 Mag FUBAR). My list of excuses:

1) It was early...hadn't had enough coffee
2) Sun was in my eyes
3) Forgot the previous load was flush mounted DEWC 38's and forgot to check the seating stem while trying to get the COL right
4) I suck

Enjoy !!!

View attachment 317050
I have a shelf of f*** ups above my bench. I keep them there as a display to remind myself of my humanity. 🤣

Friend gave me (2) 25 round boxes of Winchester Super-X 44 mag 240 gr JHP ammo. One box was fine but the other box had some corroded cases.

Should I send ‘em?....or scrap ‘em?...
49A195F2-5D55-45B6-87E0-66D1DBB665AC.jpeg A460F68D-0000-4ABB-BF3F-BC2A4913DD5C.jpeg

Friend gave me (2) 25 round boxes of Winchester Super-X 44 mag 240 gr JHP ammo. One box was fine but the other box had some corroded cases.

Should I send ‘em?....or scrap ‘em?...
View attachment 318527View attachment 318528
Send them. What’s the worst that can happen? The split and vent some hot gas onto your hands?
I’ve had plenty of old PMC 44 mag split down the side. I just tossed the split and non split brass when I was done with them.

Send them. What’s the worst that can happen? The split and vent some hot gas onto your hands?
I’ve had plenty of old PMC 44 mag split down the side. I just tossed the split and non split brass when I was done with them.
Aright I’ll send em. I just wasn’t sure since I’ve never shot corroded ammo before. The DW should handle them if they split.

I agree with Michael. Shoot em and toss em.

Just think, the worst that could happen is they break your gun, you're used to that anyways.
[rofl]
Savage....

Whether it was here or before joining NES I have to say it is refreshing that someone taught you to roll with the punches jokes. [thumbsup]

Merry Christmas, Andrew.

Whether it was here or before joining NES I have to say it is refreshing that someone taught you to roll with the punches jokes. [thumbsup]

Merry Christmas, Andrew.
Merry Christmas Matt!
I think it helps that I can be a ballbuster myself [laugh] and I'm super laid-back.

Back
Top Bottom