• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Loaded up 150ish rounds of 308 on the 4th. 168 grain bthp over IMR4895. Yesterday loaded a test batch of 38 special. Start at 2.0, to max 3.5 grains of Bullseye. 158 grain Lee cast (wheel weights) and Hitek coated semi wad cutters. Data from an old Lyman book called for an oal of 1.550 which looked a little long. I shortened it a bit to 1.510ish so I could roll crimp it into a lube groove. Still looks long to me but we'll see what happens.

This was my first batch ever of cast bullets that I had made a while ago. Lots of wrinkles and could have used a third coat of Hitek.

Dusted off the A3 today and shot a bunch of reduced loads (168 gr Noslers over 14 gr of Trailboss) at my 8" steel plate. Distance was 120 yards.

Got about 10 shots into the PPU Garand 30-06 loads and broke the rubber hanger on my steel plate target. It had been chewed up from splattering/getting shot for quite some time and finally broke.
3F4B94BC-0E2F-441D-A9E8-2F3F5D5CB4AA.jpeg
C360CAC7-1AF8-42AB-8DA1-07FA5A95CF7B.jpeg

I had it swinging hard before it broke which probably didn’t help....

Found a bunch of the Nosler bullets and jackets in the berm.
5B97020B-283B-4CFA-B9ED-6851C7319CCF.jpeg

Banged out 100 38+p. 125 grain plated fp over 4.7 of titegroup.
View attachment 292150
Nice!
I loaded some cast MP 130 RNBB in the 38 recently. I think it was about 3 grains of clays.
The shoot like 22s out of the lever gun. Zero perceived recoil. The gun doesn’t move. It made a 148 wadcutter feel like a hot load.
Those should be fun for sure.

Nice!
You single stage loading these?
I need to make some 357s and some 38s before tomorrow’s range trip
For now yeah. Takes me about 45 min per tray. I have a 650 with a quick change which is set up for 357 and I hate to mess with the dies after theyre set. Eventually Ill get around to getting a second quick change that Ill dedicate to 38 special.

For now yeah. Takes me about 45 min per tray. I have a 650 with a quick change which is set up for 357 and I hate to mess with the dies after theyre set. Eventually Ill get around to getting a second quick change that Ill dedicate to 38 special.
Nice. You should look into a locking die ring and a 38/357 spacer set. It’s a washer that spaces out dies the extra .110” or whatever the case length difference is.
Wonder if it would work for a relatively which change without a whole new tool head.

Did up thirty rounds of 8mm Mauser with Varget last night.
Going to try to get an initial entry into the Milsurp section carbine match.
Although shooting in work clothes in 90° weather is going to be unpleasant.

Did up thirty rounds of 8mm Mauser with Varget last night.
Going to try to get an initial entry into the Milsurp section carbine match.
Although shooting in work clothes in 90° weather is going to be unpleasant.
Just do it, get that suit all shit sweaty!

Not fancy enough for a suit but a collared shirt and slacks. I got a target done, I'll post it tonight.
I would love ro show up at the range with a fancy suite , some pointy leather shoes and proceed to do a drum dump out of my norinco mac90 just to confuse the f*** out of the Fudds

UYBCZCGNWVGEFP6FWZBBQ2TVSI.jpg

I tried the 265 grain flex tips in .44 special brass. The shorter brass allows the round to fit in the chambers of a revolver without the polymer tip sticking out the front but accuracy was poor. I shot a much smaller group with a .45 Shield and reloads than I did with an 8 3/8" model 29 and the flex tips. Before I give up, I'll try a different powder.

Back
Top Bottom