• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Yep that’s the place I buy from. Great product.

Pet stores often have BOGO sales on walnut and corn media.
i prefer walnut it does not break down much and far less dust In my use anyway.
I use lizzard litter. Been a long time since i bought any. Bought a few bags that had been torn. $1 per bag and maybe at most a 1\2lb missing. Not soon after they had the BOGO sale and I had 20% off coupon. So i have a few buckets that should last me my life of shooting.
I’ve never used pet bedding but I hear it can be dusty. I’ll have to try it if I see a deal.
I usually buy a 50 pound bag from Clint every once in a while. I split it with a buddy usually.
I think I’m going to buy 2 bags this time. 25 pounds seems to not last long enough.

+1 for Clint Sales. Price can't be beat. I can't find the receipt from a couple of years ago, but I think it was like $25 for a 50 lb bag of 10/14 grit corncob. No issues with this grit plugging primer holes.

I’ve never used pet bedding but I hear it can be dusty. I’ll have to try it if I see a deal.
I usually buy a 50 pound bag from Clint every once in a while. I split it with a buddy usually.
I think I’m going to buy 2 bags this time. 25 pounds seems to not last long enough.
+1 for Clint Sales. Price can't be beat. I can't find the receipt from a couple of years ago, but I think it was like $25 for a 50 lb bag of 10/14 grit corncob. No issues with this grit plugging primer holes.
If I recall a fellow NESer works at Clint Sales. @Sprocket right?

That’s what I normally get. I do get the grit in a primer hole now and then but for loading rifle cases on the Dillon I just pop a universal decap die in the first station.
For the single stage stuff I just invert the same die in my hand and drop the case on top of it. Pops the media right out.
I think I pay about $25 and $19 for shipping. Best deal out there.

Its been no more dusty than any other media I have tried. I prevtreat it with a few good squirts of oderless mineral spirits and NuFinish car wax mixed 50/50 one large bottle mixed last anout 8 years. Maybe cleaning 5-8k rounds yr

I let some .45 acp brass tumble for too long in the walnut media and the walnut turned to fine powder that I had to retumble to dislodge. The decapping was messy and sucked because it blew little puffs of powdered walnut out every time a primer popped out.

I let some .45 acp brass tumble for too long in the walnut media and the walnut turned to fine powder that I had to retumble to dislodge. The decapping was messy and sucked because it blew little puffs of powdered walnut out every time a primer popped out.
My tumbler went 4 days with lizard litter and 30-06 in the big lyman tumbler. All I got was shiny brass
You should get about 20 full runs with a fresh batch of media, you can put a squirt of polish in every 5 runs or so.
When my media starts to look dirty and or seems to take a long time to clean my brass I will change out about 1/3 to 1/2 of the media seems to work well for me.
As cheap as I can be I use new dryer sheets, love that fresh brass smell. Plus I feel the new sheets keep any dust from clinging to the brass

Last edited:
At present I only have four pieces of empty 7.5x54mm brass, but the sabots just arrived and they topped the waiting empties. Fired just fine and ejected all of two feet. I don't do much better with standard ammo (sitting about 69 feet from target)!

Attachments

• sabot7.5MAS-1a.jpg
    sabot7.5MAS-1a.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1213.JPG
    IMG_1213.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 15
Over the last week or so, I loaded up ~170 255 grain 45 Colt cast and coated with Hitek. (actually averaged out at 262 grains). Used range scrap and settled on a load of 6.5 grains of Unique.

Yesterday loaded around 70 150 grain fmj in 30.06. Today worked up a load in 308. Same 150 grain fmj over IMR4895.

I could never be the person that loads ammo days before a match. I'll be shooting stuff I loaded in January.
Same. I loaded (2) 50 cal ammo cans and (1) 30 cal can with ammo in January/February. I prob should be good until September I’d guess.

Primed 288 pieces of 45/70 brass.
I had a terrifying moment when I realized all of my 45/70 was fired and dirty. (other than the 100 pieces of pepped brand new Starline that I'm saving for load development)
Patched up some 405 grain Lee bullets last week and I still have a stash of .459" round balls for triple ball loads. Can't wait to load some up.

I used both dryer sheets and nufinish and don't remember the media being that spent or tumbling excessively long. Yes, a quick tumble in new media removed all but what dust was trapped in the primer pockets.

Shot my first 100rds of .45 without issue. Half 5.9gn and half 6.2.

and my first 150 of .357 @ 6.4/7.0/7.5gn. One primer didn't ignite.

Unique for both.

Back
Top Bottom