• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

It's trial and error really. The 40 S&W case diameter is a tad small, but find fired cases that are slightly bulged, that is, can be sized for .429" diameter,and then trim them to a length that meets your needs. I don't recall what I trimmed them to nor what die I used to form the ogive; experiment until satisfied. Fill the case with shot and seal with wax, that's all. Charge weights will be trial and error as well. There's no published data that I'm aware of.

I like it.

Holy leading Batman! Decided to take off the 10" 44 mag barrel for a cleaning. Almost shit when I saw the amount of lead at the forcing cone. It quickly thins out about an inch into the bore. Chucked a cleaning brush into my drill and that barely helped. Had to scrape it out carefully with a small screwdriver - yes I know! Bad idea. I was careful only to scrape the lead and not the barrel. Seems to be fine now. Got it soaking overnight with some copper/lead bore foaming cleaner.
38A07C57-C0E9-4D6B-99D8-01EC330F1AA9.jpeg 02C3CA2C-CBF5-4037-90E1-443B54FF69ED.jpeg
What gives?? The Zero 240 gr JSPs are 0.431"
And @Michael J. Spangler I think your coated bullets are 0.429"?

This was after probably 300 rounds of mixed full magnum loads using JSPs and light powder puff loads using coated bullets.

Thank god the DW barrels can be removed. Quick google search shows the Lewis lead removing kit is well liked for cleaning lead from bores and forcing cones?

Last edited:
Got the forcing cone nice and clean but still some lead about an inch into the barrel. Ordered a Lewis lead remover tool which should make it easy to keep the lead in check.
View attachment 273490
Hmmm weird.
Get some chore boy copper scrubbers. Make sure they’re solidcopped and not coated. Check with a magnet.
Wrap some strands around a bore brush. Works freaking amazing.

Let me know how the coated work when you shoot more.

Hmmm weird.
Get some chore boy copper scrubbers. Make sure they’re solidcopped and not coated. Check with a magnet.
Wrap some strands around a bore brush. Works freaking amazing.

Let me know how the coated work when you shoot more.
What role does hardness play in leading? Softer lead more prone to leading or?

Is the bore undersized? Really weird.

you're using full magnum loads with lead bullets? That would do it.
No I’m using JSPs for the full magnum loads. I just edited my post as I see where it looked like I said I was using coated for both. The coated I use with ~5 gr of bullseye and sport pistol powder.

Was just reading about obturation. Seems like it may be possible that my really light powder puff loads don’t allow the hard bullets to expand/conform to the bore.

“The bullet has to be hard, but not too hard; soft, but not too soft! The variable is the amount of pressure generated by the firing cartridge.

The higher the pressure, the harder the bullet needs to be to resist excess deformation – but remember that it has to be soft enough to obturate properly. A mild .38 Special target load needs a softer bullet than a fire-breathing .357 Magnum in order to obturate; putting a too-hard bullet in a mild cartridge is as much a problem as a too-soft slug in a hot one.”

In any event, I’m not going to sweat it too much. Just keep an eye on it and use the lead remover tool to easily remove the lead.

Was just reading about obturation. Seems like it may be possible that my really light powder puff loads don’t allow the hard bullets to expand/conform to the bore.

“The bullet has to be hard, but not too hard; soft, but not too soft! The variable is the amount of pressure generated by the firing cartridge.

The higher the pressure, the harder the bullet needs to be to resist excess deformation – but remember that it has to be soft enough to obturate properly. A mild .38 Special target load needs a softer bullet than a fire-breathing .357 Magnum in order to obturate; putting a too-hard bullet in a mild cartridge is as much a problem as a too-soft slug in a hot one.”

In any event, I’m not going to sweat it too much. Just keep an eye on it and use the lead remover tool to easily remove the lead.

Could be the issues but I don’t know. I shoot the coated with 20 grains of 2400 with no issues.
Maybe the light loads are causing issues but that something you see more with traditional lube because the lead is exposed.
Those bullets are the same alloy I use for 38 special so they should be soft enough.

Weird that it’s all in the beginning of the barrel and forcing cone area. I know that’s a symptom of something but can’t for the life of me remember. It might be oversized cylinder throats.

Could be the issues but I don’t know. I shoot the coated with 20 grains of 2400 with no issues.
Maybe the light loads are causing issues but that something you see more with traditional lube because the lead is exposed.
Those bullets are the same alloy I use for 38 special so they should be soft enough.

Weird that it’s all in the beginning of the barrel and forcing cone area. I know that’s a symptom of something but can’t for the life of me remember. It might be oversized cylinder throats.
Yeah I would think the coating would limit the leading. Not a big deal. I’m sure the the lead remover tool will make it easy to clean.

I sure hope it’s not oversized cylinder throats. That was one of the reasons I needed a new cylinder installed lol.

It’s all good. Not the end of the world.

Yeah I would think the coating would limit the leading. Not a big deal. I’m sure the the lead remover tool will make it easy to clean.

I sure hope it’s not oversized cylinder throats. That was one of the reasons I needed a new cylinder installed lol.

It’s all good. Not the end of the world.
Leading is more prone to happen from size than pressure.
Unless of corse your pushing lead at FMJ speeds.
There lies another issue. My old time casting mentor always said “no soldering” don’t mix cast and jacketed in the same gun.
As far as my limited experience with cast and pistol.
You need the right size. I ran super soft soup cans to extra hard wad cutters in 357. Only time I got heavy leading was to small of a bullet

You need to see what fits your cylinder vs barrel. Your cylinder throat dictates your bullet size. Then if your barrel is to larger/smaller your going to have problems.
Check out "from ignot to target"

Last edited:

I'm learning that my alloy is too soft to use for 9mm unless it's coated even though it's perfect in 38. A few hundred FPS makes a big difference.

Same alloy when HiTek coated has zero leading from minimum 38 spl to near max 9mm (I don't fire many 357s out of my 19-3, I like her too much for that abuse)

I had some 18BHN cast that didn't perform well at low 38 velocities - leading and poor accuracy, but didn't have the same issues when pushed up near max. But those also had a very hard commercial lube so that might have been part of the leading issue also.

20 rounds of 303 British done. Going to try some of the Accurate 2520 that was giving me problems with 8mm and see if a spicier load plus smaller case yields more reliable detonation.

20 rounds of 303 British done. Going to try some of the Accurate 2520 that was giving me problems with 8mm and see if a spicier load plus smaller case yields more reliable detonation.
some where I read that 3031 was the replacement for cordite.???
Varget has pretty much been my across the board powder for my milsurps. Along with good old H4895.
2400 and Trailboss for reduced loads and cast loads.

some where I read that 3031 was the replacement for cordite.???
Varget has pretty much been my across the board powder for my milsurps. Along with good old H4895.
2400 and Trailboss for reduced loads and cast loads.
My last batch of 303 used IMR3031. I actually did a few in 3031, and a few in CFE223. I just haven't had very good luck with 3031, although it did outperform the CFE223 for me that day.

Going to start working up a 223 load at some point (for .223, not the powder).

My last batch of 303 used IMR3031. I actually did a few in 3031, and a few in CFE223. I just haven't had very good luck with 3031, although it did outperform the CFE223 for me that day.

Going to start working up a 223 load at some point (for .223, not the powder).
There’s a shit ton of powders to use, again I have come to like varget for them too.
I have 844 in the hopper for 223/69 gun nosler CCI right and just might leave it for the 100 or so rounds I will need for MM

There’s a shit ton of powders to use, again I have come to like varget for them too.
I have 844 in the hopper for 223/69 gun nosler CCI right and just might leave it for the 100 or so rounds I will need for MM
I'd say Varget is my "go to" powder and when I run down some of the other misc ones I have, I'll just get an 8lb jug of Varget.
I don't think I've tried Varget in 223. I do like IMR4895 as well. CFE223 is cool looking and easy to measure but I haven't really had desirable results in 223 (limited sample) or 303. Varget has been my multitool since it works for essentially everything I load and I know it works. I really need to start making a reloading compendium to track my notes since my memory is starting to fail.

Now that I have a fancy free float 5.56 upper, maybe I'll load up some different 223 and try them on Friday when I go to sight in. Will be using flip-up backup sights since I haven't bought a scope or mount for it yet.

I'd say Varget is my "go to" powder and when I run down some of the other misc ones I have, I'll just get an 8lb jug of Varget.
I don't think I've tried Varget in 223. I do like IMR4895 as well. CFE223 is cool looking and easy to measure but I haven't really had desirable results in 223 (limited sample) or 303. Varget has been my multitool since it works for essentially everything I load and I know it works. I really need to start making a reloading compendium to track my notes since my memory is starting to fail.

Now that I have a fancy free float 5.56 upper, maybe I'll load up some different 223 and try them on Friday when I go to sight in. Will be using flip-up backup sights since I haven't bought a scope or mount for it yet.
Yeah I dont know why varget does so well across a large selection it just does.
Heres what I shot at the last match at OCSA I had to leave mid way through my AR entry loaded to nosler data for COAL. all last year and prior I was shooting 55 grainers with surplus powder.
IrpsOZ9t.jpg

Heres a test I did last week in the same rifle I always use but after the MacHac Mods for Modern Military
Left is PPU M193 Right is the 69s/Varget shot round robin 20 rounds in about 11.456 min elbows on bench and sling for support. My typical lunchtestslam method
3ZuOu9el.jpg

Yeah I dont know why varget does so well across a large selection it just does.
Heres what I shot at the last match at OCSA I had to leave mid way through my AR entry loaded to nosler data for COAL. all last year and prior I was shooting 55 grainers with surplus powder.
IrpsOZ9t.jpg

Heres a test I did last week in the same rifle I always use but after the MacHac Mods for Modern Military
Left is PPU M193 Right is the 69s/Varget shot round robin 20 rounds in about 11.456 min elbows on bench and sling for support. My typical lunchtestslam method
3ZuOu9el.jpg
Hard for me to make out the box, 69gr with 24 Varget? I've heard 24/25 gr before but I don't remember the projectile weight.

I've never shot anything over 62gr but 2 of my 3 ARs are 1:7 twist (including the BCM) so I should be able to stabilize heavier stuff.

Hard for me to make out the box, 69gr with 24 Varget? I've heard 24/25 gr before but I don't remember the projectile weight.

I've never shot anything over 62gr but 2 of my 3 ARs are 1:7 twist (including the BCM) so I should be able to stabilize heavier stuff.
Last year I loaded up what ever I needed a few days before, when shooting the AR at cmp I loaded what ever happen to be up front on the shelf and cheap factory ammo.

I personally have thrown in the towel on twist and stabilization . Run a test and see what works.
My cmp Games AR is 1/9 and shoots 75s fine. I’m going to test a batch of 80s too for fun. My 1/7 NRA AR shoots some 75s nice , does not like hornady ?
Sierra and nosler gtg. My first attempt with 80fn nosler was a fail played with powder charged and things started getting better.

There seems to be a lot of wiggle room with 223. A good bullet and many powders will get very good results

Have fun,
Try to remind me next time your coming to pembroke and I can give you a handful of bullets to try.

Varget and 69gr HPBT +++

Last year I loaded up what ever I needed a few days before, when shooting the AR at cmp I loaded what ever happen to be up front on the shelf and cheap factory ammo.

I personally have thrown in the towel on twist and stabilization . Run a test and see what works.
My cmp Games AR is 1/9 and shoots 75s fine. I’m going to test a batch of 80s too for fun. My 1/7 NRA AR shoots some 75s nice , does not like hornady ?
Sierra and nosler gtg. My first attempt with 80fn nosler was a fail played with powder charged and things started getting better.

There seems to be a lot of wiggle room with 223. A good bullet and many powders will get very good results

Have fun,
Try to remind me next time your coming to pembroke and I can give you a handful of bullets to try.
Sounds good. I have 53gr Hornady, 55gr Prvi and 55 gr IMI on hand right now, might keep an eye out for some heavier stuff.

Sounds good. I have 53gr Hornady, 55gr Prvi and 55 gr IMI on hand right now, might keep an eye out for some heavier stuff.
i have a few bags of PPU 69 match they will hold the 10 ring easily ....i used them for off hand and practice back before kids when I had time to practice.
I also have a good number of the PPU/milspec branded 55s which is what i shot my first gold with at pembroke. Those where with 844 surplus powder loaded hot.

Did up what I presume will be the last of the Winter Warrior rounds.
For the M1917 Eddystone:
Hornady Match 168gr BTHP
with 44.5gr IMR 4895
and following the recommendations of a few people, only HXP cases (with CCI lg rifle primers).

Finally finished loading the last of my clean 44 mag brass with michaels coated bullets. Conveniently had the same amount of clean brass as I did bullets - love when that works out lol.

Saturday is looking nice so I’ll definitely be shooting the Dan cannon now that I got my scope mount back. Installed some pieces of friction tape to the scope rings which should help keep the scope from slipping under recoil.

Lewis lead remover kit arriving tomorrow. Can’t wait to try that out.

Last edited:
I loaded some .360 round balls and 2 grains of Trailboss in .357 brass. It's about as loud as a .22lr out of a rifle and accurate enough for 25 yard plinking. I also loaded some Blackhorn and black powder .45 Colt loads for use in a very old Colt SAA. The black powder loads were more accurate than the Blackhorn but neither was as accurate as the smokeless loads.

Back
Top Bottom