• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I've used 3031 on 303, .223 and 7.62x54R, and I don't feel like it gave good results in any of those. Although I was using light bullets (150, 55, and 110 respectively) so maybe that's part of it if it performs better with heavier projectiles. It's hard to beat Varget for me, both in terms of performance and versatility... I do like 4895 as well and 4064 has been fine, too. In .223 I have some more experimenting with CFE223 to try. It measures well for me, it's like sawdust.

I've been reading a few recommendations for 9mm, seems like N320, Power Pistol and a few others are popular. But for rifle I might just do Varget and whatever catches my fancy on a given day.

Perhaps next I'll use the same projectiles but 3031 (just to use it up, the 1lb jug is almost gone) versus another powder, so it takes any deviation in projectile out.
Power pistol is a VERY accurate powder for 9mm. However the increased recoil and muzzle blast makes me save it for midrange 357 mag loads and my 7.62x25 loads. PP wouldn’t be good for USPSA shooting IMO.

Power pistol is a VERY accurate powder for 9mm. However the increased recoil and muzzle blast makes me save it for midrange 357 mag loads and my 7.62x25 loads. PP wouldn’t be good for USPSA shooting IMO.
Good to know. I hear a lot about Titegroup which we already discussed, and I've heard about Winchester 231 a few times.

I hate hazmat fees, since I need more primers and want more powders.

Good to know. I hear a lot about Titegroup which we already discussed, and I've heard about Winchester 231 a few times.

Yeah titegroup works well. I used it for awhile until switching to N320. Not super clean and burns very hot but it’s cheap and you don’t need much. Certainly not the end of the world. 231 I’ve only tried in light 357 loads not 9mm.

Head over to shooters outpost. I’m sure they’re overflowing with reloading components lol.

Yeah titegroup works well. I used it for awhile until switching to N320. Not super clean and burns very hot but it’s cheap and you don’t need much. Certainly not the end of the world. 231 I’ve only tried in light 357 loads not 9mm.

Head over to shooters outpost. I’m sure they’re overflowing with reloading components lol.
I always seem to have an imbalance of something, lots of powder and projectiles but few primers, tons of projectiles but low on powder, etc.

Also, my mailman must hate me. Ever since I moved here 1-2 times a week a heavy box comes from Targetsports or elsewhere. My last reloading order weighed something like 28 lbs or something.

I've used 3031 on 303, .223 and 7.62x54R, and I don't feel like it gave good results in any of those. Although I was using light bullets (150, 55, and 110 respectively) so maybe that's part of it if it performs better with heavier projectiles. It's hard to beat Varget for me, both in terms of performance and versatility... I do like 4895 as well and 4064 has been fine, too. In .223 I have some more experimenting with CFE223 to try. It measures well for me, it's like sawdust.

I've been reading a few recommendations for 9mm, seems like N320, Power Pistol and a few others are popular. But for rifle I might just do Varget and whatever catches my fancy on a given day.

Perhaps next I'll use the same projectiles but 3031 (just to use it up, the 1lb jug is almost gone) versus another powder, so it takes any deviation in projectile out.
I’m not big on pistol . I run Clays in just about everything I shoot for pistol.
Delivers service pistol accuracy when I can

Just learn to max it out. Plus deals are coming up . Seen free shipping at 2 vendors already.
Heck these days it’s cheaper for me to pay shipping and hazmat vs picking up local . I spend about 1.5 hrs round trip , gas money , lunch and a few coffees .....shipping is cheap
Just remeber buy in bulk 50k primers under one fee or 6 8lb jugs or mix and match to about 60#? Call your vendor

Just learn to max it out. Plus deals are coming up . Seen free shipping at 2 vendors already.
Heck these days it’s cheaper for me to pay shipping and hazmat vs picking up local . I spend about 1.5 hrs round trip , gas money , lunch and a few coffees .....shipping is cheap
Just remeber buy in bulk 50k primers under one fee or 6 8lb jugs or mix and match to about 60#? Call your vendor
I do try to get my value, that's why I jumped on the no hazmat for $99 of powder deal recently. At my current speed 1k primers holds me for a while. I am getting low, though. I can't decide whether to do 9mm, more 303 or some 8mm Mauser tonight.

I always seem to have an imbalance of something, lots of powder and projectiles but few primers, tons of projectiles but low on powder, etc.

Also, my mailman must hate me. Ever since I moved here 1-2 times a week a heavy box comes from Targetsports or elsewhere. My last reloading order weighed something like 28 lbs or something.
Ive done an inventory and do my best to keep everything balanced so I dont end up with 20k bullets and 3k primers

It's surprising I haven't done this, given my previously noted spreadsheets for loaded ammo, round counts, cleaning info, etc. lol
Im the opposite. Usually flying by the seat of my pants. One day decided to count everything and realized I had like 4x as many bullets as primers or something like that. Every once in a while I do a count and try to balance things out as I still will tend to pick up a jug of powder and a couple of bricks of primers just because its easy. I tend to buy powder and primers in NH and order bullets when theyre on sale so Im not always buying one and one and things will get out of whack over time.

It's surprising I haven't done this, given my previously noted spreadsheets for loaded ammo, round counts, cleaning info, etc. lol
what so your selective ocdspredsheetcookoo :eek:
just stock up every few years. Oh so what I learned to do is buy my reloads from myself. Been slipping cost+10% into a box every time I shoot. Keeps cash on hand for those Oshit moments

Loaded up some light 44 mag rounds with the coated zombie bullets I bought a few years ago. Except this time instead of using the trusty Bullseye powder, I tried N320 powder. I figured these should burn much cleaner.

I just wanted to see how N320 compares to bullseye in light 44 mag loads. I’ve only used N320 for my 9mm loads. Hoping I can try these out on Saturday along with the full house magnums I loaded the other day....
View attachment 253542
They all shot well except for that case head separation....

Once I run out of bullseye I’ll just use N320.

what so your selective ocdspredsheetcookoo :eek:
just stock up every few years. Oh so what I learned to do is buy my reloads from myself. Been slipping cost+10% into a box every time I shoot. Keeps cash on hand for those Oshit moments
I do something similar, I usually get an extra $5 or $10 cash back after food shopping and what not put it in an envelope. Same thing if I get paid back for something where I fronted the cost; into the envelope it goes. Then I have some cash on hand; usually I put it towards a new purchase (it's how I financed my first AK, once the envelope got filled up) or something unexpected (busted u-joint on my truck). Comes in handy before a trip or a vacation, too, just make a deduction and return anything unused.

I've got about 450 9mm cases ready now after last night. 75 Makarov cases as well, if I decided to load for it...for now, just keeping and cleaning as many of the cases as I can find.

Finally cool enough to stay in the house for longer times. Been decapping sizing and priming 9mm and .45 acp in my spare time. Work days are now shorter when the sun sets earlier , I should have plenty of time to start the re-loading stock up for spring and summer shooting again. That's after I rake leaves and stock up on dry goods and paper products(LOL) Winters' coming again!

I do something similar, I usually get an extra $5 or $10 cash back after food shopping and what not put it in an envelope. Same thing if I get paid back for something where I fronted the cost; into the envelope it goes. Then I have some cash on hand; usually I put it towards a new purchase (it's how I financed my first AK, once the envelope got filled up) or something unexpected (busted u-joint on my truck). Comes in handy before a trip or a vacation, too, just make a deduction and return anything unused.

I've got about 450 9mm cases ready now after last night. 75 Makarov cases as well, if I decided to load for it...for now, just keeping and cleaning as many of the cases as I can find.
yeah my last fun fund went to 4 tires after loosing 2 to some road debris

Recently picked up a Ruger Security Six, 6" Stainless, about two months ago. I've been reloading .38 Special for years. This weekend I got the gumption to reload some .357 Magnum for the first time.

Loaded 50 Federal nickel plated cases, lit off with a CCI #500 and topped with 158 gr. Coated SWC from The Blue Bullets. Will edit with COAL. Loaded 10 rounds each from 12.5 gr to 14.5 gr. of Hercules 2400 in .5 gr. increments. Shot 5 rounds of each at various steel targets at my club (plus wanted to record the fireballs) and then 5 rounds on paper 15 yards out; rested on a soft case on top of my range box, not the most sturdy rest.

12.5 gr. and 13 gr. showed good promise, relatively medium range .357 loads. But they were also the first 2 groups of the day after shooting 50 rounds of .38 Special. Suspect shooter fatigue on the final 3 targets, but printed relatively consistent, maybe I'll shoot round robin next time, with groups of 10. (If I ever get to the range with enough daylight left)

All .357 Magnum loads shot on the steel put some serious smack down on the plates compared to my normal range activities consisting of 147 gr. 9mm.

Bonus target included with 11 rounds of 3.2 gr. Titegroup from misc. .38 Special cases, CCI #500 primer, same bullet. Shoots great and light! The best performer of my .38 Special outting last weekend.

qEF4yDfl.jpg

Each powder charge took up two columns of 5. Shown in the video below from left to right: 12.5, 13, 13.5, 14, and 14.5 gr. The charge of 13.5 grains had one case exhibiting excess pressure signs of gas bleeding around primer. Charge of 14.5 gr. had 5 cases exhibiting gas bleeding and primer flow around the firing pin indent creating a little ridge. Now according to the Lyman 49th Edition, for my bullet weight, 14 grains of 2400 is the max charge and also the "accuracy load," so I certainly don't advocate others to go above and beyond published data, but I was confident that the Ruger could handle the increase in pressures, I definitely will not be going beyond the 14.5 gr. tested here for this specific powder. These specific casings have been used an unknown amount of times.

(Click on the image to get to the video)

Of course, this post would be fruitless without a fireball!

Stksusvl.jpg

Recently picked up a Ruger Security Six, 6" Stainless, about two months ago. I've been reloading .38 Special for years. This weekend I got the gumption to reload some .357 Magnum for the first time.

Loaded 50 Federal nickel plated cases, lit off with a CCI #500 and topped with 158 gr. Coated SWC from The Blue Bullets. Will edit with COAL. Loaded 10 rounds each from 12.5 gr to 14.5 gr. of Hercules 2400 in .5 gr. increments. Shot 5 rounds of each at various steel targets at my club (plus wanted to record the fireballs) and then 5 rounds on paper 15 yards out; rested on a soft case on top of my range box, not the most sturdy rest.

12.5 gr. and 13 gr. showed good promise, relatively medium range .357 loads. But they were also the first 2 groups of the day after shooting 50 rounds of .38 Special. Suspect shooter fatigue on the final 3 targets, but printed relatively consistent, maybe I'll shoot round robin next time, with groups of 10. (If I ever get to the range with enough daylight left)

All .357 Magnum loads shot on the steel put some serious smack down on the plates compared to my normal range activities consisting of 147 gr. 9mm.

Bonus target included with 11 rounds of 3.2 gr. Titegroup from misc. .38 Special cases, CCI #500 primer, same bullet. Shoots great and light! The best performer of my .38 Special outting last weekend.

qEF4yDfl.jpg

Each powder charge took up two columns of 5. Shown in the video below from left to right: 12.5, 13, 13.5, 14, and 14.5 gr. The charge of 13.5 grains had one case exhibiting excess pressure signs of gas bleeding around primer. Charge of 14.5 gr. had 5 cases exhibiting gas bleeding and primer flow around the firing pin indent creating a little ridge. Now according to the Lyman 49th Edition, for my bullet weight, 14 grains of 2400 is the max charge and also the "accuracy load," so I certainly don't advocate others to go above and beyond published data, but I was confident that the Ruger could handle the increase in pressures, I definitely will not be going beyond the 14.5 gr. tested here for this specific powder. These specific casings have been used an unknown amount of times.

(Click on the image to get to the video)

Of course, this post would be fruitless without a fireball!

Stksusvl.jpg
Excellent post/range report. Your primers seem normal to me from what I can tell. My primers are more flattened than those when I use 14.7 gr of 2400 under a 158 gr JSP.

I need to try the blue bullet 38s at some point. I’ve got so many 38 cal bullets at the moment that I haven’t bothered buying anymore lol. How did the coating hold up to a firm roll crimp? Curious if you pulled any after crimping just to see if the coating is getting stripped?

Nice fireball too! Love it.

Excellent post/range report. Your primers seem normal to me from what I can tell. My primers are more flattened than those when I use 14.7 gr of 2400 under a 158 gr JSP.

I need to try the blue bullet 38s at some point. I’ve got so many 38 cal bullets at the moment that I haven’t bothered buying anymore lol. How did the coating hold up to a firm roll crimp? Curious if you pulled any after crimping just to see if the coating is getting stripped?

Nice fireball too! Love it.

The primers certainly weren't flattened but what appears to be gas leaking seems excessive enough in my opinion but I'll have to re-consult that section of my manuals, might have to retire those cases or delegate them to lighter loads. Those cases were fired an unknown number of times, picked them up from another reloader passed on.

Those were actually the last of my .38 Blue's, picked up a case of them a year or two ago, I've got a bunch of cast LSWC 158's to shoot through, so I won't be making an order of those for a while.

These bullets don't have a crimp groove, so I used what I would consider a very light taper crimp, just enough to remove the case bell and then a light touch more. After firing five rounds, I pulled the sixth out of the cylinder and did not notice a change in COAL, easy to tell with a SWC. I had not pulled any of the bullets, but none of the coating scraped off upon seating, and my barrel did not exhibit any leading nor on the muzzle I ought to pull one though just for curiosity sake. These bullets seemed to have held up well.

Anyone got load data for 9x18 Makarov with Accurate # 7? I can't seem to find much. I'm finding Berry's plated 95gr RN for about 7.8 cents each...AA #7 is the only pistol powder I've got, so I am inclined to use it. I think I read one place where 7.5gr was recommended, but that's what I'm using for 9x19 so it seems a little high...

Did a little load development with BE-86 in the .455 Webley. Both the gun and I are in the same condition as when we started so I'll call it a success. Please don't use any of this data if you have a Webley revolver. I used a Colt New Service which is much larger and stronger than a Webley and is chambered in several calibers that are a lot more powerful than the .455. I used established data with Unique and Blue Dot as well as factory ammo to determine a target velocity. Be-86 seems to burn faster than Blue Dot but slower than Unique. I couldn't get the velocity I wanted with either but I did with BE-86. I started at 4 grains with a velocity of 567 fps and went to 5.2 grains with a velocity of 712 fps. This is pushing a 270 grain hollow base lead bullet. Factory ammo produces 668 fps so 4.9 grains of BE-86 will be my factory duplication load. If I had a Webley revolver, I'd fill the case with Trailboss or black powder and call it a day. Up next is the .44/40.

Anyone got load data for 9x18 Makarov with Accurate # 7? I can't seem to find much. I'm finding Berry's plated 95gr RN for about 7.8 cents each...AA #7 is the only pistol powder I've got, so I am inclined to use it. I think I read one place where 7.5gr was recommended, but that's what I'm using for 9x19 so it seems a little high...
are you sure your OCD? I used tightgroup.

are you sure your OCD? I used tightgroup.
To be fair, I never claimed that myself--I just like data. Maybe I'll take a trip to a store this weekend and get some other powder(s), unless I decide to go for broke and just do another order online and pay the hazmat, since I could probably use some more primers. I think I'm down to about 400 large rifle primers. Although maybe there will be Black Friday deals.

Your not doing it right unless the package is overweight or a handtruck is needed.

50 rds of 9x19 done, used Makarov dies arrived, sized/primed my 75 cases. Included load data does have Accurate # 7 loads, just need some projectiles now.

Still need to churn out some more 30-06 and 8mm Mauser.

Back
Top Bottom