What did I just buy?

I was at dicks and I noticed they had a few selections of ammunition.

I figured I'd try something new and I stumbled across Remington UMC Jacketed hollow points. I got 100 rounds for 40 or so bucks.

I'm curious what you guys think of this. My intentions were to buy range ammo, but these are hollow points. Would you use these as a SD round?

Derek

$40.00? Ouch. Start reloading.

I personally wouldn't use any of the UMC stuff for personal defense. There are way too many better options out there.

shoot it and have fun with it. i'm with hardjeepguy--i wouldn't carry it.

i have hydra-shok 9mm but would prefer speer gold dot if i were to carry it.

I would NOT be so quick to discount UMC JHPs as useless.

First off, the OP did not mention the caliber. Second, UMC's .357 Magnum 125 grain SJHP is the exact same stuff sold under the Remington Express label but with plain brass casings (which I prefer for reloading anyway) instead of nickel-plated brass. Around here a 100 round pack of UMC 125 grain .357 is $60. And that stuff is wicked hot!

That is the cartridge that gave the .357 Magnum the fearsome reputation that it has today. It may be old school, but people are not any harder to kill today than they were in the late 60s/early 70s when this cartridge was introduced.

Sorry I forgot to mention. Its 9mm.

I primarily bought it as range ammo, but I was just curious of the reliability and performance for SD. The only reason I asked is because they are hollow points.

Derek

That is the cartridge that gave the .357 Magnum the fearsome reputation that it has today. It may be old school, but people are not any harder to kill today than they were in the late 60s/early 70s when this cartridge was introduced.

Actually, this is only partially true. Over the last century, people on average have gottten taller and wider. They may not be harder to kill per se, but with over 50% of Americans being overweight, they are harder to knock down.
Notice how police calibers have increased over the years. .32's and short .38's served a long time before they moved up to .38 specials. The next step up was the 9mm, now they carry .40's. Bigger gun for bigger targets. [wink]

Actually, this is only partially true. Over the last century, people on average have gottten taller and wider. They may not be harder to kill per se, but with over 50% of Americans being overweight, they are harder to knock down.
Notice how police calibers have increased over the years. The .32acp and .38 Colt served a long time before they moved up to .38 specials. The next step up was the 9mm, now they carry .40's. Bigger gun for bigger targets. [wink]

OK, I'll concede the fact that people are bigger today. The fact remains that the .357 Magnum still has penetration and tissue damage to spare even in today's supersized people.

$40 for 100rds of 9mm?

Even if it is good carry ammo, which i'll leave that to more knowledgeable people than me....

I'd think you'd be better of just buying cheaper ammo for the range, and splurge on a small box of carry ammo. My buddy just loaded up this weekend at KTP for $13 per box of 50.. and no one will tell you KTP is cheap.

OK, I'll concede the fact that people are bigger today. The fact remains that the .357 Magnum still has penetration and tissue damage to spare even in today's supersized people.

I'm not doubting that at all. The .357 magnum is a dandy choice for protection, but outside of a few state police agencies, it wasn't widely adopted by the cops. It still suffers from excessive recoil, muzzle blast and overpenetration.
As a manstopper, I'd prefer a .45LC to a .357 mag. I subscribe to the "Heavy and slow is the way to go" school of thought. I want the projectile to expend all it's energy into the target. If it's still going fast enough to penetrate a wall, it's didn't expend all it's energy into the target.

I use this in .45acp. I ran 500 rounds through my 1911 without any issues.

Can't comment on expansion as I haven't recovered any fired bulets.

Some may consider it a bit dirty but it works.

Dick's has them for $65.00 / 100

WM has them (rarely) for about $60.00

Reload your own for approx eleven cents each ($11.oo per hundred!), and if you come to the cast bullet workshop next weekend, and learn how to make your own cast bullets, you can cut that cost in half!

You'll save so much $$$ reloading that you can buy some crazy priced SD rounds for when you need them.

Heck, you'll save so much that you'll shoot more, enjoy it more, shoot better as a consequence of shooting more, and have a relaxing new hobby.

Doesnt reloading require a few specific tools that cost a pretty penny?

How precise is the process? or is it easy to do?

Look! For under $200 you can buy a good quality used press, new dies, and the rest of the stuff that you would need. In my class, we cover lots of money savings ideas that will keep your reloads CHEAP!

How many boxes of ammo can you buy for $200???? You'll save much more than the initial investment in about six months of shooting.

Doesnt reloading require a few specific tools that cost a pretty penny?

How precise is the process? or is it easy to do?

Back
Top Bottom