What *could* pass?

The States could do it on their own, without the Feds, Heller gave the States the right to put their own rules into place, and since pistol caliber rounds and handguns ( by FFL sale) are already 21 plus, It is not going to be hard to do IMHO
I think you are correct. It would then have to widetstand a court challange.

Yes. I said that a few dozen posts ago.

OP is asking what’s most likely, not what might work. UBC won’t do shit, especially in cases like the most recent two.

^ This.

We all know NONE of the proposed "gun control" initiatives -- UBCs, bans on X, Y, or Z (guns or mags or _________), waiting periods, licensing, or anything else won't make a damned bit of difference in reducing crime, in particular "mass shootings" where these lunatics plan their rampages for months in advance, anticipating dying in the process in a "blaze of glory."

But that doesn't and won't stop them from trying.

When you eFA10 transfer a gun, doesn't the system check to see if each party's license is still valid? If it was revoked/suspended, wouldn't that show up? Otherwise, what's the point?
It does, but the point is it's a registry.

I bought a collection of firearms off a acquaintance I used to shoot competitions with, he had an arrest for a nonviolent offense prior, and his attorney recommended selling his firearms before his ltc was revoked and the local pd took possession.

He turned said arms into a ffl where they sat for a few days, I paid the acquaintance a fee up front and picked up the arms a few days after they sat at the ffl.

His issuing PD tried to revoke his license a week after his initial arrest- 5 days after he transferred all arms out of his possession to the ffl. The pd showed up at his door without paperwork to take his arms, he indicated he no longer had them and graciously offered me up as the new holder.

I got a grumpy call from his pd demanding the arms, and was threatened with not complying with their investigation and obstruction if I didn't drive all MY arms I paid for, 4473d, and efa10d to them.

I "voulentarially" delivered said arms. And 48h after said delivery the origonal owner received his ltc suspension notice in the mail.

My ownership of the firearms as well as my efa10s was iirrelevant. I had to get a lawyer to get them out of police custody.

His arrest was dismissed as being unconstitutional, it was so clear cut the AGs office did not appeal.

All i heard throughout the process was bullshit about the database not being live and illegal transfers and shit. If I did something wrong, it means the efa10 system is crap, if I didn't do anything wrong, it means the efa10 system is useless.

When you eFA10 transfer a gun, doesn't the system check to see if each party's license is still valid? If it was revoked/suspended, wouldn't that show up? Otherwise, what's the point?

Yes, but it's not actually running a background check on you while you do this. It's EASILY possible for you to be under indictment for a felony in some other state, as an example, making you a fed PP while in that state of existence, and still have the little stupid plastic card and MA still thinking its valid. That's not a background checck, anyone who told you it was is a little
short upstairs. It's at best, a "probably not a bad guy/felon" card but its not absolute by any stretch.

Yes, but it's not actually running a background check on you while you do this. It's EASILY possible for you to be under indictment for a felony in some other state, as an example, making you a fed PP while in that state of existence, and still have the little stupid plastic card and MA still thinking its valid. That's not a background checck, anyone who told you it was is a little
short upstairs. It's at best, a "probably not a bad guy/felon" card but its not absolute by any stretch.
Your LTC would have to be revoked and I imagine that if you have some legal issue as Mike notes above, any such revocation isn't happening in real time given the speed at which .gov gets around to dealing with paperwork.

It does, but the point is it's a registry.

I bought a collection of firearms off a acquaintance I used to shoot competitions with, he had an arrest for a nonviolent offense prior, and his attorney recommended selling his firearms before his ltc was revoked and the local pd took possession.

He turned said arms into a ffl where they sat for a few days, I paid the acquaintance a fee up front and picked up the arms a few days after they sat at the ffl.

His issuing PD tried to revoke his license a week after his initial arrest- 5 days after he transferred all arms out of his possession to the ffl. The pd showed up at his door without paperwork to take his arms, he indicated he no longer had them and graciously offered me up as the new holder.

I got a grumpy call from his pd demanding the arms, and was threatened with not complying with their investigation and obstruction if I didn't drive all MY arms I paid for, 4473d, and efa10d to them.

I "voulentarially" delivered said arms. And 48h after said delivery the origonal owner received his ltc suspension notice in the mail.

My ownership of the firearms as well as my efa10s was iirrelevant. I had to get a lawyer to get them out of police custody.

His arrest was dismissed as being unconstitutional, it was so clear cut the AGs office did not appeal.

All i heard throughout the process was bullshit about the database not being live and illegal transfers and shit. If I did something wrong, it means the efa10 system is crap, if I didn't do anything wrong, it means the efa10 system is useless.
You should have made them get a warrant. Or at least consult with an attorney before handing them over

You should have made them get a warrant. Or at least consult with an attorney before handing them over

I agree with this but bear in mind an average attorney might give you the answer you don't want to hear, that's why its imperative to find a firearms oriented attorney who might be able to get the PD to /not/ go full retard.

That's the edgy response sure- it was when I asked for one the interfering with am investigation and obstruction of justice threats came out.

It also wasn't lost on me that this started at 5:04 and the only attorney I knew wasn't available. I now keep 4 firearms attorneys in my phone.

At the end of the day I kept the collection I owned prior to the incident while this played out, had I gone the warrant route I would have had my home sacked and had all my firearms taken as well as likely a license revocation for failure to comply with the police.

I actually filed a report with my local pd on this complaining about the other PD and was told "police can't break the law" and "they have the power to do anything they want in their invesitigation"

Clearly not true, but also sends a message my ltc would have been under threat and a warrant was a penstroke away.

That's the edgy response sure- it was when I asked for one the interfering with am investigation and obstruction of justice threats came out.

It also wasn't lost on me that this started at 5:04 and the only attorney I knew wasn't available. I now keep 4 firearms attorneys in my phone.

At the end of the day I kept the collection I owned prior to the incident while this played out, had I gone the warrant route I would have had my home sacked and had all my firearms taken as well as likely a license revocation for failure to comply with the police.

I actually filed a report with my local pd on this complaining about the other PD and was told "police can't break the law" and "they have the power to do anything they want in their invesitigation"

Clearly not true, but also sends a message my ltc would have been under threat and a warrant was a penstroke away.

Catch-22.

I'm a pragmatist. I'd have done what you did. You said you had to get a lawyer to get them back? How hard was that and about how much did it cost? Just out of curiosity.

Catch-22.

I'm a pragmatist. I'd have done what you did. You said you had to get a lawyer to get them back? How hard was that and about how much did it cost? Just out of curiosity.

So, getting a lawyer to help was a bit of a pain.
The lawyer I had was recommended by the FFL that I picked the firearms up from, but he basically only did FFL work, he referred me to a buddy that never called me back.
I then reached out to Comm2a and Goal.
Comm2a wasn't super helpful with my predicament, but they were exceptionally interested in the outcome- this wasn't too far ahead of the RICO case they started against village vault. I'm really bad at keeping my comm2 membership up to date- I wish they'd email you when you were expiring with a online renewal.
Goal handed me off to their new in house attorney- I'll circle back to that.
Comm2a suggested Stephen Burke- it took me a while to convince him I needed help, I think he was trying to brush me off but basically I wasn't going away- I knew I was over my head. He drafted up a finely worded letter I dropped off to the chief of police that between the lines said "what the f*** are you doing?" The letter outlined the date of incedent, the legal transfer from the ffl, the officer's comments, a complete listing and serial number of all firearms, bit of questioning as to why my lawfully owned items were siezed, and then a request for cooperation for their speedy return.

If you ever need a no BS lawyer, Burke's likely your guy. He's rough around the edges but gets the job done. I often tell friends he's a big dick, but sometimes you need the biggest dick in the room and he's hard to beat.

PD stated when they took my guns I'd have them back by the end of the week, several weeks later I did not. I gave them one last chance to hand them over before I dropped the letter off- this did not help me at all. I would later get a copy of the police report and I was described as being agitated- I was not agitated, I was clear and direct "Hey, I'm here to try to pick up my firearms" to which was responded "No you're not". "You said end of the week, it's been more than that", followed by some bullshit brushoff, and I walked out with a "Ok" and took my letter to the chief.

The next time I saw that officer was 24h later when he was handing me a card to call to arrange a pickup. He yelled in his office after I walked out that I was a whiney bitch- that made me smile.

So, that covers how hard was it (2-3 weeks worth of work just to get the arms back, over a month to get a police report). I lost a lot of sleep in this time, and spent a fair penny for consults for legal follow up, lost work time, sleepless nights, relationship stress (my girlfriend was not a fan of this incident at the time, she's grown to realize that it was the complete bullshit I indicated).

Goal's inhouse attorney and I were going to write a follow-up complaint to the civilian police review board, but we gave that up when we realized the entire board was made up of former police officers, so not really civilian at all- that was an exercise in futility there.

I'd say in all it was about 4-5k, that was fees to things like the FRB to get my records pulled to prove that the guns were in my name, consults, gas, and repairs to several firearms when they were returned. There was a shotgun that had a pin that walked out, a revolver timing lug(?) was walking out, I replaced a missing red dot, and a few other things from just manhandling and abuse- I can't prove whose, I didn't have the guns very long.

My biggest recommendation here though, and I'll repeat it until I'm dead- Look at your cell phone, if you don't have at least 2 firearms specific attorneys in there, get some. When the day comes you need one its not going to be a good day to go looking. Throw Guida and Burke in there if you want to, I don't care, just do it- you might thank me later.

NPR news people just said assault weapon ban and high capacity mag ban are off the table, lots of exasperations and frustrated sighs. Dems don't think they have the 60 votes. Still trying to get the federal red flag law going though.

Well in MA, if each party had to get background checked to get the LTC, I would think the eFA10 system (with license verification) is already in compliance with "Universal Background Checks."

The challenge for them is how to enforce UBCs in "free states" where there's Constitutional Carry and no license per se'.
I don't think the FA or Const Carry has anything to do with background checks. Nobody wants criminals or crazy people to get guns. As long as it's quick, has transparent rules for who gets blocked, it would probably do some good.

Anyone pushing for gun control or supporting it in any way should be treated like the enemy combatants that they are.
That's not really a helpful attitude. I'm sure I'd agree with you on most things but we don't want to brand our community with the sense that we don't care about gun violence and will do nothing. There are things we could do to make guns safer and keep them from crazies and criminals. If we are willing to do some of these things we could negotiate for other things we want and don't have.

I don't think it'll even take that much.

I think RINOs will eventually give in on UBCs because their calculus will tell them the Left will shut up if they just give them something. It won't work, either to stop violence or to shut up the Left.

I hope I'm wrong, but I can see it happening.

Whats "Gun Violence"?

You sound like another reddit troll
You know what it is. People killing each other with guns.

No, I really dont know what you're referring to.

If you're referring to Murder then say so

There's a legal basis for Murder/Assault/etc........"Gun Violence" is leftist emotional blather
Murder or wounding with a firearm also known as "gun violence".

That's not really a helpful attitude. I'm sure I'd agree with you on most things but we don't want to brand our community with the sense that we don't care about gun violence and will do nothing. There are things we could do to make guns safer and keep them from crazies and criminals. If we are willing to do some of these things we could negotiate for other things we want and don't have.
Bend over

No sorry, but frankly, f*** those people I'm done playing patty cake with them, I hope they get ass cancer and die in a fire. They are no different than child molesters to me.

I'm done "giving them concessions" especially given we get absolutely nothing back, every time.

"Gun violence" BTW is a shit weasel type term invented by antis, propogating it is horrible if you care about your rights.

Back
Top Bottom