What constitutes a WW2 bolt action collection?

SKS Ray

NES Member
Many surplus collectors go in a certain direction. Some of us buy everything cheap and C&R available, some buy high end stuff only, some buy guns from a certain country, etc.

I went the buy it all if its available route and can say I do have a nice representation of pretty much everything commonly available and have settled on SKS types for my main goal in collecting.

One area of collecting lots of people target is WW2. Some go for bolt actions only, handguns, semi autos, and the ones with cash go for the whole nine yards and get 1 of everything.

I'd like to start a few threads regarding areas of collecting. This one will concentrate on bolt action WW2 era rifles.

In my collection I have Mosin 91/30, M38, and M44 rifles, German K98 carbines, various Enfield No4 Mk1 rifles, US Springfield 03A3, and a French Mas 36, but I know there are countless other models one needs for a true WW2 collection.

Japanese & Italian rifles come to mind.

Anyone else have input?

I'm still really new to this but the two ground rules I'm going to try and follow are:

1. I will shoot everything in my safe, I don't want anything I can't shoot.
2. I won't buy doubles, I'll only trade up. Although I haven't figured out if that means I won't own 2 Garands or just 2 SA Garands. ;)

I def want a rifle and pistol from each WWII major power but I'm late to the party and things are expensive now.

I started my collection with German pieces constructed until 1945, then extended to captured weapons and weapons of Germany's opponents in WWII as well as some
axis. Need to cover the Arisaka types, still.
No interest in Italian and French rifles at all. The only Italian piece is a 1935 Beretta, whereas France is covered for by MAB A, C & D. Still want a Model 1935 "Petter" pistol as
she is the mother invention of the Swiss SIG P210.
The ever growing part of the collection is Mauser rifles and pistols and copies thereof, be they licensed or unlicensed.
Later this year I'll try to extend my collector's permit to "any rifles constructed up until 1960". Besides .22 trainers the focus will be on semi auto rifles and semi auto variants
of the major assault rifle families: Ljungman, SKS, AK, FAL, M14, G3, AR, StG57.

In my collection I have Mosin 91/30, M38, and M44 rifles, German K98 carbines, various Enfield No4 Mk1 rifles, US Springfield 03A3, and a French Mas 36, but I know there are countless other models one needs for a true WW2 collection.

Don't you have a few Finns as well?

One of each model of Arisaka is on my list but I want to hold out for one that doesn't have a sewer pipe for a barrel (like most of the cheap ones out there) and that still has a mum. Even though Sweden was neutral, I'd like to get an M96 and an M38. The rarer Finn models (M27, 28, 24) are on my list but not high priority, as is at least one No.1 Mk III, a 1903A3 (already have an 03). I'm not a big Mauser guy, so I'm not too concerned about the various Mauser variants, and I don't have an M95 either, but I'll probably get some of them if I get a chance.

No interest in the MAS - I'm largely interested in rifles that were actually used during the war.

Last edited:
I want a representative example of each of the major powers weapons. I'm not into every version of a Mauser, for example. But I would like at least one of each type used in the war. eg one M1 carbine, one Mauser, etc. Although I do have 3 Mosin's as they are distinctly different.

Since this photo, I've about doubled my collection but still need others. I'll have to update the picture someday but I had to stand on a step ladder to get this one and the ceiling limits my scope.

I have the US, Germany, England, Japan, Russia represented but could use a few more from each. France, Italy are on my list but much later.

ww2-1%20800x603.jpg

I want a representative example of each of the major powers weapons. I'm not into every version of a Mauser, for example. But I would like at least one of each type used in the war. eg one M1 carbine, one Mauser, etc. Although I do have 3 Mosin's as they are distinctly different.

Since this photo, I've about doubled my collection but still need others. I'll have to update the picture someday but I had to stand on a step ladder to get this one and the ceiling limits my scope.

I have the US, Germany, England, Japan, Russia represented but could use a few more from each. France, Italy are on my list but much later.

ww2-1%20800x603.jpg

I agree with you... one of each country would suffice.

For me, I did it as follows:

Russia: 91/30, Ex Dragoon, M44

UK: Lee-Enflield 1 Mk3

Germany: K98 Mauser

Swiss: Rueben

Japanese: Arisaka

USA: M1 Garand

Which means to complete a legit Bolt Action ww2 collection, I'll need a MAS 36, Springfield 1903, Steyr Mannlicher M95/30, and a Carcano m91 to cover all the major players.

I'm still really new to this but the two ground rules I'm going to try and follow are:

1. I will shoot everything in my safe, I don't want anything I can't shoot.
2. I won't buy doubles, I'll only trade up. Although I haven't figured out if that means I won't own 2 Garands or just 2 SA Garands. ;)

I sometimes do doubles for 2 reasons. I have one that is less pretty for a shooter and one really nice one I might shoot but might be worth something. Of course as I am in the cheap CR phase that Ray refers to. It is still therefore relatively easy. If I get to the expensive phase this might change. I also have 2 sons so when I buy the second one I keep telling my self it is so there will be no fighting when I am gone. [grin]. Actually they are great kids and share everything so that weakens the arguement, but that is my story and I am sticking to it [laugh]

When I started years ago I ended up w/ a Vet bring back 1942 K98 that was mint, next I found 2 1942 No4mk1* Longbranch Enfields, then a 1942 91/30, a vet bring back 1942 99 Arisaka w/ all the extras. I was looking for a 1942 M1 Garand for years w/ no luck. I ended up selling the Arisaka and K98 when I bought my house. Found and bought the 1942 Garand a few months later. Sold that shortly afterwards. Now I sell almost nothing, unless I find a better example. Here are a few pics of some.
DSCF0005-3.jpg

DSCF0006-3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom