• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What Clothing and Pack for Hunting?

Hey guys,

So I'm putting my kit together for hunting in the late summer/fall. I'm trying to decide what kind of camo clothing and pack to get but there are so many brand and types I dont know where to start. Can any one point me in the right direction?

I'm mostly bird/small game and deer hunting with a bow and firearms.

Thanks

There's a lot of variables. Are you hunting in a stand for deer or still hunting/stalking?

For upland birds brush pants are helpful. Other than that, I think it depends on the weather forecast, how long you're staying out and how much walking you do. I've found comfortable boots that keep your feet warm and dry help. A foam seat pad helps you stay out longer if hunting a stand. How long can you sit still in one spot at 30 degrees with a wind blowing? Bundle up too much and you may break a sweat hiking out to your stand.

I layer with polypro or sometimes wool. I rarely camo up unless hunting turkeys or coyotes. You can't wear too much orange for deer shotgun season and a tope layer that's waterproof helps.

There's a lot of variables. Are you hunting in a stand for deer or still hunting/stalking?

For upland birds brush pants are helpful. Other than that, I think it depends on the weather forecast, how long you're staying out and how much walking you do. I've found comfortable boots that keep your feet warm and dry help. A foam seat pad helps you stay out longer if hunting a stand. How long can you sit still in one spot at 30 degrees with a wind blowing? Bundle up too much and you may break a sweat hiking out to your stand.

I layer with polypro or sometimes wool. I rarely camo up unless hunting turkeys or coyotes. You can't wear too much orange for deer shotgun season and a tope layer that's waterproof helps.

I'm probably going to be doing still hunting/stalking, and the same for turkeys until I can afford a blind.
Also I snowboard so I have plenty of under layers, but should I be looking for hunting/outdoor specific over clothing like a parka or some kind of pants covering? I don't think my northface or spider jacket will stand up to the ruggedness of typical hunting conditions.
I have good boots though [smile], sub zero Rocky's 100% waterproof comfortable and they dont get too hot in the summer.

Last edited:
Bring layers of Gear, for bad weather, snap cool front or warm up. Good booths, waterproof and warm. Something comfortable, try the stuff on in the store with clothes that represent your base layer.

For a backpack I recommend tenzing backpacks. Super high quality and there's a bag for every purposes. The BV15 for uplands and the 2200 day pack for deer

I'm probably going to be doing still hunting/stalking, and the same for turkeys until I can afford a blind.

You don't need a blind to get started. I'd rather sit under a wide tree or rock. Stalking turkeys is not a good idea. Sit and call.

Also I snowboard so I have plenty of under layers, but should I be looking for hunting/outdoor specific over clothing like a parka or some kind of pants covering?

Whatever fits your budget and is weather appropriate should do. Dull, earthy color except as noted where orange is required is a good start. And quiet. Water resistant is good too.

You don't need a blind to get started. I'd rather sit under a wide tree or rock. Stalking turkeys is not a good idea. Sit and call.

Whatever fits your budget and is weather appropriate should do. Dull, earthy color except as noted where orange is required is a good start. And quiet. Water resistant is good too.

Thanks for the info, do turkeys and deer run when see people? Or will I have time to get a shot at them?
I've always had the impression from some hunters that most animals are skittish, but what few I have encounted weren't. I've walked right up to rabbits and have had deer sit and watch me from a few yards away while I cut down a tree with an ax. I've yet to see a turkey that was easily spooked either, the ones in my area couldn't care less about people.

Thanks for the info, do turkeys and deer run when see people? Or will I have time to get a shot at them?
I've always had the impression from some hunters that most animals are skittish, but what few I have encounted weren't. I've walked right up to rabbits and have had deer sit and watch me from a few yards away while I cut down a tree with an ax. I've yet to see a turkey that was easily spooked either, the ones in my area couldn't care less about people.
Stalking deer is a tough although not totally impossible. If they think you've spotted them they will scatter, chances are you wont see them and they will take off. Turkeys if you sneak up on them from the woods and theyre in a field you might get a shot off but they too pick up ove movement etc and will bug out quickly. Ive bagged both by stalking but its a tough and time consuming hunt

Hey guys,

So I'm putting my kit together for hunting in the late summer/fall. I'm trying to decide what kind of camo clothing and pack to get but there are so many brand and types I dont know where to start. Can any one point me in the right direction?

I'm mostly bird/small game and deer hunting with a bow and firearms.

Thanks

Congrats on starting a First hunt thread and asking the right questions.

Most people ask:

Where do I find a butcher?
How do I gut my deer?
What cigar should I smoke to celebrate in my picture? [rolleyes]

Just have fun.. After your first few walks out there you'll realize what works and what doesn't WRT clothing very quickly.

Don't "expect" to bag something. Once you learn to enjoy being in the outdoors, you'll slow down enough to see, hear, and smell things. Don't get discouraged if you spook something, just learn from it.

You'll find your self saying things like: "Last time I saw the turkeys they took off over that ridge, Maybe I'll set up up there today and call for a while."

Good luck.

Sometimes you'll get a shot. More often not. That's hunting. But if you move slowly or stay in one spot for some time in a good area you should see game.

And if you aren't rich, Wal-Mart is one of the best places for inexpensive hunting clothes. I haven't had much luck with their boots (which is an item where you REALLY get what you pay for), but all their RealTree pants, shirts, jackets, hats, etc are decent deals, IMO.

Congrats on starting a First hunt thread and asking the right questions.

Most people ask:

Where do I find a butcher?
How do I gut my deer?
What cigar should I smoke to celebrate in my picture? [rolleyes]

Just have fun.. After your first few walks out there you'll realize what works and what doesn't WRT clothing very quickly.

Don't "expect" to bag something. Once you learn to enjoy being in the outdoors, you'll slow down enough to see, hear, and smell things. Don't get discouraged if you spook something, just learn from it.

You'll find your self saying things like: "Last time I saw the turkeys they took off over that ridge, Maybe I'll set up up there today and call for a while."

Good luck.
Thank, just went bowfishing for the first time today and it was really tough. Now I realize it might take a few trips before I get anything. I actually went to quinsigamond in Shrewsbury. Some big carp there, I think I should have brought a bigger boat lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
And if you aren't rich, Wal-Mart is one of the best places for inexpensive hunting clothes. I haven't had much luck with their boots (which is an item where you REALLY get what you pay for), but all their RealTree pants, shirts, jackets, hats, etc are decent deals, IMO.

Great thanks, I'll check that our

Stalking deer is a tough although not totally impossible. If they think you've spotted them they will scatter, chances are you wont see them and they will take off. Turkeys if you sneak up on them from the woods and theyre in a field you might get a shot off but they too pick up ove movement etc and will bug out quickly. Ive bagged both by stalking but its a tough and time consuming hunt

Would I be better off with a ghillie suit or just buy a blind instead of camo clothing?

I just bought a new set of coveralls from Basspro. Their house brand, redhead makes some pretty nice and affordable gear. I would recommend getting some neoprene boots. I never owned a pair till last fall, used to wear workboots, nothing worse than wet feet when its cold. They're really quiet in the woods and keep your feet warm and dry.

I've always still hunted deer, it takes a ton of practice but its so rewarding. Best advice is to just take it slow. I used to see a lot of their backsides when I started, but after a lot of practice I finally saw the whole deer. Walk a few hundred feet moving real slow, and put your back to something to break up your silhouette or find a rock or stump to sit against for a while. Rinse and repeat. Most deer I see using this method seem to show up right after I stop. After doing this for 15+ years I still get careless, make too much noise and don't move slow enough, thats when I see the backsides again.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if you're going to be moving a lot, dress a little lighter. You'll overheat real quickly otherwise. I usually move till I get too warm, and then sit till I get cold.

In the stand insulated pants, insulated rubber boots, nice wool socks, and insulated jacket/parka are a must. Look for boots rated for at least 0. It may seem a bit extreme - but remember you're not moving. Your feet will get cold and then you'll be getting off post to warm up. An insulated facemask/head pullover is nice too. You'll freeze your tookis off in the stand without them. When you're not moving you'll get cold very cold very quick. Plan on packing in the pants and jacket so you don't overheat and sweat on the way to the stand.

Wear Permethrin. Early season especially.

Would I be better off with a ghillie suit or just buy a blind instead of camo clothing?

You may be overthinking this. All you need is to stay comfortable, be where the game is and control your own noise and sudden movement. And control scent as has been mentioned. You can practice stalking now by walking in the woods and looking for critters, tracks and sign. Without hunting weapons, of course unless you're licensed and after chipmunk, flying squirrel, porcupine, red squirrel, skunk, weasel or woodchuck in MA. See http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/df.../hunting-and-trapping-of-certain-mammals.html.

But finding and getting close to them is no different now than it is during open season except for greener vegetation.

Thanks guy, I appreciate the help. I think I'm going to go with some neoprene boots and fleese pants and an overcoat from Cabela's, and just wear my normal snowboarding under layers.

I like both the Lacrosse boots and BOGS. Lifetime warranty on the BOGs but they are pricey. Check out the Alpz packs and fanny packs. Very good products that should last and much cheaper than Badlands or Tenzing. I have a cheap fanny pack and backpack from Allen company that I bought a years ago that saw a lot of use and have held up well. You don't need to spend a bunch of money to get functional stuff that will last.

A hunting partner can be a wealth of information but only if he has a full freezer. Don't go crazy buying camo clothes, woodland BDUs work fine with layers under. Buy the BDUs a size or 2 larger and pull over your regular clothes. Works great for some late afternoon hunting after work. Best advise I or anybody here can give you is buy GOOD BOOTS! Don't go Walmart cheap, cold wet feet will end your hunt in a hurry! Plan on $150+ and take your heavy sox with you when you try on. Your not going to be wearing thin cotton sox in the woods so take the heavy ones with you for fit. Non smell, charcoal clothes, toothpaste, ect are BS in my mind. Remember our grandfathers went walking thru the woods wearing red and black plaid jackets with a cigar in their mouths and nobody went hungry!

Back
Top Bottom