What choke for turkey hunting?

Dcdr

NES Member
Hey guys,
Just picked up a used Mossberg 500 w/ 24” slug barrel and 28” ribbed barrel. The 28” doesn’t have a choke installed, gun didn’t come with them. What choke is best for turkey? Is there an all-around choke that works for most birds?

Not trying to be a wise guy but is the 28" barrel threaded for screw-in chokes?
If it is, it should have come with at least one.
Most of those older 500's are modified fixed choke in my experience....
But to answer your question - Full Choke. There are lots of screw-in turkey chokes on the market.
Either way, its a good idea to pattern your gun before you hunt.....
+ If it is a fixed choke, the type of choke will be stamped at the base of the barrel...

Last edited:
Full for turkey, modified is good all around
don't fire without a choke tube in - those threads are wicked fine.
lube choke thds before installing with Nevah-seez or rem-oil or similar

Full for turkey, modified is good all around
don't fire without a choke tube in - those threads are wicked fine.
lube choke thds before installing with Nevah-seez or rem-oil or similar

This is spot on.

There is normally a set of three screw in chokes and a choke wrench with a shotgun like that. Ask the person you bought it from for them. He probably has them somewhere.

There are a lot of turkey specific choke tubes out there. Look on eBay.

At the end of the day you want the best shell and choke combination that gives you the tightest pattern out the furthest. The only way to find that out is by putting in some range time. You need to pattern your setup to see what your shotgun will do and what your range is.

Bob

As full as possible. A lot of choke companies make turkey-specific chokes, too.

I'm curious to see if someone sold the OP a gun with a threaded barrel but kept the chokes, or if this is a fixed choke barrel...
I have two 500's and they are both fixed chokes...
Either way, I hope he kills a turkey with it...

Thanks guys. Just picked it up from a dealer today, the barrel is threaded but doesn’t have a choke in it, Previous owner must have kept the chokes. I’m ordering a few online and won’t shoot with that barrel without a choke installed. Thanks everyone for your help

Ic mod and full will handle everything you need for small game and birds. Like others have said you can buy Xtra full and "turkey" chokes. I've tried them and used a few different loads and got so so results. I use a full choke and a 3 inch coppper plated #5 shot Winchester super x brand and I'm good to 35 to 40 yards. I just have to call them into that range.

Can't say enough for "pattern your gun/choke/load combo to see what you get. Every gun choke load is a little different. You need to test it out.

Thread from the dead. Fall season is approaching and I’m going to be turkey hunting for the first time. Just picked up a 20” barrel with chokes for my mossberg. Its tightest choke is a full choke, but I’m likely going to pick up a Primo’s tight was choke.

Once I get a choke on there and have my ammo... where do people recommend patterning their shotguns? I’m on the north shore and MRA doesn’t have any facilities that allow it.

Last edited:
Thread from the dead. Fall season is approaching and I’m going to be turkey hunting for the first time. Just picked up a 20” barrel with chokes for my mossberg. It’s tightest choke is a full choke, but I’m likely going to pick up a Primo’s tight was choke.

Once I get a choke on there and have my ammo... where do people recommend patterning their shotguns? I’m on the north shore and MRA doesn’t have any facilities that allow it.
Country pond fish and game in Newton nh has a free open house for national hunting and fishing day on sep 26 from 10-4. I know that's a couple weeks away but would still give you time before fall turkey. Only thing is if your patterning a shotgun you'd need to bring your own target hanger so that you don't destroy our wooden ones. The open house is free and we do it for precisely what your looking to do......for folks to get ready for hunting season that don't have memberships at clubs or a place to shoot. Your welcome to come buy of course.
Newton nh is just over the border in NH. I'll be there as an RO all day.

Last edited:
Country pond fish and game in Newton nh has an open house for national hunting and fishing day on sep 26 from 10-4. I know that's a couple weeks away but would still give you time before fall turkey. Only thing is if your patterning a shotgun you'd need to bring your own target hanger so that you don't destroy our wooden ones. The open house is free and we do it for precisely what your looking to do......for folks to get ready for hunting season that don't have memberships at clubs or a place to shoot. Your welcome to come buy of course.
Newton nh is just over the border in NH. I'll be there as an RO all day.

Great, thanks. Not too far of a drive.

Ic mod and full will handle everything you need for small game and birds. Like others have said you can buy Xtra full and "turkey" chokes. I've tried them and used a few different loads and got so so results. I use a full choke and a 3 inch coppper plated #5 shot Winchester super x brand and I'm good to 35 to 40 yards. I just have to call them into that range.

Can't say enough for "pattern your gun/choke/load combo to see what you get. Every gun choke load is a little different. You need to test it out.

This. My 26" 870 patterns like crap with anything other than an IC. I've bagged turkeys with Full chokes with mossy 500's and a newer 870, but the only choke I know my holes well enough out of this 80's 870 26" turkey barrelled thing is IC. Upside is, IC is flexible!

I tried 7 different chokes. Always pattern before you use.

Thread from the dead. Fall season is approaching and I’m going to be turkey hunting for the first time. Just picked up a 20” barrel with chokes for my mossberg. Its tightest choke is a full choke, but I’m likely going to pick up a Primo’s tight was choke.

20" barrel?...wow, that's awfully short, especially for a turkey gun...

Why do you say that? Going up to a 28” is going to give me maybe 70 FPS, and be less wieldy in the woods. I could see a longer barrel to help smooth motions when shooting flying birds or clays. But I’m obviously new to hunting turkey so maybe I’m overlooking something.

Most turkey specific guns sold these days have shorter barrels.

From a field and stream article on this exact subject:

"Shorter barrels are quickly becoming the favorite among turkey hunters, as a short barrel offers increased maneuverability and less weight. Moreover, most shotgun loads reach maximum velocity around 20 inches, so a longer barrel doesn’t necessarily mean more power. Turkey shotgun barrels generally range between 20 and 26 inches but most hunters prefer the shorter side."

Last edited:
Most turkey specific guns sold these days have shorter barrels.

And with modern ammo you’re not really gaining a lot of velocity with longer barrels. In the old days of blackpowder, sure. That’s why goose guns would have 40”+ barrels.

I’m still fully set up for turkey hunting but haven’t even tried in years. I never had luck with hunting them. Though I didn’t put nearly the effort into it as I do other game. For birds, waterfowl and pheasant are more my thing.

One thing I will admit to failing miserably at: Those goddamn mouth calls are not easy to master. I gagged myself many times while trying. ;)

And with modern ammo you’re not really gaining a lot of velocity with longer barrels. In the old days of blackpowder, sure. That’s why goose guns would have 40”+ barrels.

I’m still fully set up for turkey hunting but haven’t even tried in years. I never had luck with hunting them. Though I didn’t put nearly the effort into it as I do other game. For birds, waterfowl and pheasant are more my thing.

One thing I will admit to failing miserably at: Those goddamn mouth calls are not easy to master. I gagged myself many times while trying. ;)
Another misconception that I've had "spirited debates" with less informed hunters and gun owners is that a longer barrel equals a tighter pattern. No.....young padawan.......the choke is what effects the pattern not barrel length". I've had a few older guys argue with me over that and I think their confusion comes from the days before screw in chokes..... when longer barrels tended to come with tighter chokes .......goose and duck guns were full choke longer barrels and rabbit and grouse guns were shorter barrels and Ic chokes. For some reason they get it in their heads that it was the barrel length effecting the pattern......but in actuality it's the construction at the muzzle and back then the manufacturers tended to make the barrels with longer equals tighter choke due to what they were likely to be used for in that barrel length but it was not the length effecting the pattern.

Oh....and yeah f*** those mouth calls I use a box. 🤣

Last edited:
Why do you say that? Going up to a 28” is going to give me maybe 70 FPS, and be less wieldy in the woods. I could see a longer barrel to help smooth motions when shooting flying birds or clays. But I’m obviously new to hunting turkey so maybe I’m overlooking something.
Your fine with a 20 inch barrel. @Highbrass is a little confused maybe. 🤣

Last edited:
Your fine with a 20. @Highbrass is either ignorant or an old fart....or perhaps both. 🤣

Talk about an old fart, I’m in my 40s and I still hunt turkey with a Browning BPS 10 gauge. I have plenty of good shotguns that can shoot 3 and 3.5 inch 12 gauge turkey loads but that 10 gauge delivers the kills.

Back
Top Bottom