• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What choke do you use?

You can hunt with Buckshot (but I wouldnt recomend it) or with slugs. If you dont have a rifled barrel dont even bother with Sabotted Slugs. If yo are shooting smooth bore I believe the recomendation for slugs and buck shot is improved cylinder

thanks, I was looking at the Remington 887, but I think I'm going to go with the 870 instead. It has the interchangable barrels and comes with the fully rifled deer barrel. As far as I could tell the newer 887 does not allow for the barrel to be changed out? Is this correct? I couldn't find anything on Remington's website to confirm.

The 870 will comwith a modified choke. it is pretty much the do all choke. slugs to bird shot.

thanks, I was looking at the Remington 887, but I think I'm going to go with the 870 instead. It has the interchangable barrels and comes with the fully rifled deer barrel.

This is a far better choice. If you can get it with a cantilevered rifled slug barrel even better.

Slugs are the best choice for deer. Buckshot can be effective but very few people use it properly. It needs to choked and be patterned just like a turkey round. That being said there are very few places that slugs will not out perform buckshot.

I have an 870 with a slug barrel and I added williams fire sites on it for hunting the first and last of daylight. The wood on the 870s nothing fancy but its not supposed to be its ment for feild use. I have had mine for years and would by another if needed. I bought the bird barrel for it and that was expensive but worth it. I have hunted with it lots and use it to shoot trap if its raining and I don't want to get the more expenzive and pretty trap gun wet. The 870 will take a beating and come back every time.

re: slugs

Having gone from shooting an IC smoothbore w/rifled slugs, to a rifled barrel w/sabots, I was blown away by the accuracy & trajectory of the sabot slugs. Hornady sabot slugs, to be specifc. The sabot's perfomance dramatically increased my confidence in using slugs.

If you shoot slugs out of a bird barrel, the one with a rib on the top of the barrel Remington makes rifled chokes.

i would suggest buying a combo set and make sure the rifle barrel is in fact rifled. A buddy of mine picked up the combo, bird barrel and rifled rifle barrel for $400 new.

Im sure the 887 will be able to change barrels but since it is a new platform Remington or Hastings hasn't designed the barrels yet.

Back
Top Bottom