• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WHAT CHEER RIFLE RANGE, GREENWOOD, R.I

AMV

NES Member
I came across an old martini rifle made by Providence tool company, they made a model in 40-70 named the "what cheer" after a rifle range located outside providence. Anyone have any info or history on this or the Rhode Island Rifle association, it was a 1400 yard rifle range opened in 1875 some info from old articles i found below, I think it was near or at The current TF green airport

What Cheer Range in Greenwood, RI. The What Cheer Range was located 7 miles from Providence on the line of the Stonington Railroad. Greenwood is located in Warwick, Kent County. Just south of Rt 113 and east of Rt 1. The range, almost level, was 1400 yards long by 400 yards wide.

Providence Tool definitely made Martinis. I know they had an Ottoman Martini contract.

The area you're describing is pretty near T.F. Greene airport and D&L Shooting Supplies. There's no trace of a long rifle range there now. Besides Greene, it's mostly suburban development.

The RI Rifle Association no longer exists. The oldest extant pro-gun organization in RI is RI Rifle and Revolver, which was founded in 1936. Could've been an amalgamation of RIRA and another group. There is the Newport Rifle Club, they might've competed or been associated with RIRA because NRC was founded in 1876.

Back
Top Bottom