• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What charge bar do I have?

I picked up an MEC Super 600 from the flea market, or at least that’s what I think it is. I’m trying to figure out what charge bar I have so I can get the right wads. Does anyone know how to tell what the shot load is for an older MEC charge bar? If I cycle it once and weigh the shot the shot would that be accurate enough? It’s marked 12 GA.0 500 on the end but nothing else that I can find.

This pdf file shows (near the bottom) the charge bar numbering system. There's nothing there that lines up with what you posted. Does the charge bar say MEC on it? It might be someone's aftermarket charge bar. What color is the charge bar?

And, does it have a removable bushing???? On some charge bars, the bushing can be swapped out for different loads.
Does the charge bar have micrometer adjustments at the end??? Some do, and that is used for adjusting the powder and shot.

Please be aware that unlike metallic cartridge reloading, shotshell reloading loads are FIXED. You do NOT "work up to" a shot shell load. You look in the book, for a particular powder/wad/shot weight and that's the load, PERIOD. So, if it's a fixed shot and fixed powder bushing (non-replaceable bushing), you're shooting in the dark.

I have called MEC before to get information on some of their older presses. You might call them and ask your question. You'll get faster and better answers doing that.

Here's the pdf file:
http://www.mecreloaders.com/documents/Miscellaneous/PowderBushingChart.pdf

Oh, and here's the manual for your press:
http://www.mecreloaders.com/documents/ownermanuals/600.pdf

Last edited:
It’s a fixed bar, not the kind you can change bushings on. It’s red like the charge bar in my 600 jr. I figured since its shot and powder on the same fixed bar I’d just need to figure out how big the shot load is to get the right wad. Of course the extent of my experience with sizing out shots was when I got my 600 jr. and we figured out what I was looking for at the counter with the help of the sales guy.

Calling MEC is a good idea, I'll have to do that. If all else fails I’ll just have to get another bar. I only paid $30 for the press so another $20 for a bar would still be a great deal.

I have rehabed many mec loaders, post some pics for ID. The fixed bars are older units.
what you have i think is 1 1/8 chilled shot, 18 grains of red dot. best bet is to set up one bootle at a time a measure ten drops of your powder and shot. Dont get to hung up on shot weights its a volume thing. I have adjustable bar for sale cheap that has the bushings for powder and adjustable on shot side. this is for a single stage, 500 bars are for a progressive is I remenber right.

This is it. It’s in good condition and as far as I can tell it’s just missing the primer tray, if it ever had one that is. I’d be interested in buying a bar if you want to PM me with the details. I’d love to match it up with what I have going in my 600 jr so I could get the kids running an assembly line. Picture 003.jpg

I'm looking at the charge bar guide that came with the first MEC press I bought. I can't remember exactly when that was, but the guide is dated August 2, 1973 (! - where does the time go?).

mac1911 is essentially correct - the 12 gauge "O" bar is rated for 1-1/8 oz of shot and 18.5 gr of either Red Dot or Green Dot. (And also 20 gr of Dupont [now IMR] PB, 20 gr of 700-X, and 25.5 gr of SR 7625, all of which I believe are still on the market, as well as 20 gr of Alcan 120, which I believe is no longer available).

The best advice, which you've already received, is to weigh both the shot and powder that the bar actually drops, and use a reputable shotshell loading manual or online guide to ensure that the particular combination, and that includes the exact primer, hull, and wad type, is recommended as safe.

Last edited:
I'm looking at the charge bar guide that came with the first MEC press I bought. I can't remember exactly when that was, but the guide is dated August 2, 1973 (! - where does the time go?).

mac1911 is essentially correct - the 12 gauge "O" bar is rated for 1-1/8 oz of shot and 18.5 gr of either Red Dot or Green Dot. (And also 20 gr of Dupont [now IMR] PB, 20 gr of 700-X, and 25.5 gr of SR 7625, all of which I believe are still on the market, as well as 20 gr of Alcan 120, which I believe is no longer available).

The best advice, which you've already received, is to weigh both the shot and powder that the bar actually drops, and use a reputable shotshell loading manual or online guide to ensure that the particular combination, and that includes the exact primer, hull, and wad type, is recommended as safe.

I think you might be right. I don’t have a scale good enough to measure the powder but the lead looks like its 1 1/8 oz. I need a good scale for reloading and brewing so I’ll get that and check the powder with the Red Dot I use for my other setup.

I had a similar situation when I received an old MEC 650 from the trap/skeet club I used to work at during high school ($5). I simply ordered the new charge bar and some bushings. Not worth messing with a fixed one IMO.

PLEASE!!! NO!!!!

Having kids do your reloading is never a good idea. Typically (and I am sure your kids are an exception), kids don't have the level of responsibility to do reloading safely. They're easily distracted, when reloading requires your utmost attention to details at all times. So, please don't allow your kids to reload for you. They'll miss something, and your gun (and maybe you) will unexpectedly suffer.

so I could get the kids running an assembly line. View attachment 6068

PLEASE!!! NO!!!!

Having kids do your reloading is never a good idea. Typically (and I am sure your kids are an exception), kids don't have the level of responsibility to do reloading safely. They're easily distracted, when reloading requires your utmost attention to details at all times. So, please don't allow your kids to reload for you. They'll miss something, and your gun (and maybe you) will unexpectedly suffer.

Sorry, I should have put a smiley after that statement. [grin] My Kids are no exception. I've let my kids pull the handle a few times after I've set it up and they needed help with that. That's all I'm prepared to let them do. Thanks for the warning though.

PLEASE!!! NO!!!!

Depends on how old they are and how well trained they are.

One of my best friends used to load shotshells for himself and his dad when he was 12. It's not rocket science.

-Mike

PLEASE!!! NO!!!!

I did this for my dad (.44 Magnum and .45 ACP) when I was 10 (with loose supervision). Used some of those loads, made 15 years ago, a few weeks back, with no issues. I loaded my own shotshells for a while at age 15-16 when I was shooting a lot of skeet.

MEC charge bars have replaceable bushings or micrometer adjustments to regulate the POWDER drop. The shot weight drop is fixed by the shot charge hole diameter machined opposite from the powder bushing hole.

Modern MEC bars will have the following numbers on the end: 100 (1 ounce of shot), 118 (1 1/8 oz), 112 (1 1/2 oz), and so on and so forth. There is another number above that one that I think designates which loader model the bar belongs to. All the bars for my 650 have the number 302 above the charge weight.

If you do not know what shot charge you are dropping, call MEC and see if they can ID the bar for you. If they cannot, buy a new one.

Jose,

The older MEC charge bars did not use the current powder charge bushings and had to be swapped out to change powder charges.

Back
Top Bottom