What can you tell me about the non resident appeal process?

Ink

Well, it is true. It seems they do deny everyone and make you go appeal. I'm actually looking forward to the appeal because i think my case is much better stated in person. But, i like being well prepared. I do have several real legitimate reasons for applying for the non resident ccw permit..... aside from the obvious [smile]
I'm exploring all avenues mostly just to see what peoples experiences were, for better or worse.
I will not stop till i get my RI permit even if it takes years, but knowledge is power!

I know of some people whom have some experience in these matters here, but i'd prefer some kind NES'rs to volunteer anything rather than PMing random people.

PM's or post.
Thanks for any help..

PS: I can also qualify anyone for RI if they need .... especially nervous people! ( i have all the proper instructor certification thingies) and the application process is fresh in my head if anyone has any questions. ( yes i have army l targets too :)

Last edited:
Check out RIFOL.com, they have a section of RI permits. You can also legally apply through a town in RI via 11-47-11.

§ 11-47-11 License or permit to carry concealed pistol or revolver. – (a) The licensing authorities of any city or town shall, upon application of any person twenty-one (21) years of age or over having a bona fide residence or place of business within the city or town, or of any person twenty-one (21) years of age or over having a bona fide residence within the United States and a license or permit to carry a pistol or revolver concealed upon his or her person issued by the authorities of any other state or subdivision of the United States, issue a license or permit to the person to carry concealed upon his or her person a pistol or revolver everywhere within this state for four (4) years from date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear an injury to his or her person or property or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol or revolver, and that he or she is a suitable person to be so licensed. The license or permit shall be in triplicate in form to be prescribed by the attorney general and shall bear the fingerprint, photograph, name, address, description, and signature of the licensee and the reason given for desiring a license or permit and in no case shall it contain the serial number of any firearm. The original shall be delivered to the licensee. Any member of the licensing authority, its agents, servants, and employees shall be immune from suit in any action, civil or criminal, based upon any official act or decision, performed or made in good faith in issuing a license or permit under this chapter.

Some towns will issue to residents, some will refer you to the AG. Ive been exploring the possibility of applying to a town instead of the AG. There are lists of towns that issue, but some require HUGE fees (some up to $160 that I've seen, and other require a non-existent psych test. I've been considering calling the Burrelville COP and seeing what he has to say. Im slowly working on a letter and seeing whats out there, but RI towns can be as bad as or worse than Ma to get a license in.

Im in no rush, and working to see what I can do, because I would like to have one down there. also, a C&R is considered "need" pursuant to one court case i read.

Check out RIFOL.com, they have a section of RI permits. You can also legally apply through a town in RI via 11-47-11..
Looks like the correct URL is http://www.rifol.org/

I've heard that while a non-resident can technically apply through a town, no towns issue to NR, always have to go through the AG.

I'm in Providence often, but since I don't want to have to explain a denial every time I apply to another state, I've held off on trying for a non-resident permit.

I am in RI a lot, for business and family, so i really do need it. Taking the chance was a non issue, but i just wanna absorb as much info as i can, and be as educated as i can be before i call and demand my appeal appointment so i can explain the facts of life to the RI AG!! [smile]

Try not to talk in 3rd person geekspeak...they might think you are a little off

Looks like the correct URL is http://www.rifol.org/

I've heard that while a non-resident can technically apply through a town, no towns issue to NR, always have to go through the AG.

I'm in Providence often, but since I don't want to have to explain a denial every time I apply to another state, I've held off on trying for a non-resident permit.

Yeah that's the correct website. I even went there and looked at the URL before I posted. I'll go sit in my corner now. [sad2]

Either way here's the thread I started over there if its of any help. http://www.rifol.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=272

Im going to eventually call one or a couple towns and see what the CoP has to say. AFAIK no one has really tried to apply to a town from out of state. The town I mentioned has a copy of 11-47-11 right on their website (and I did look up almost EVERY towns PD website to see what, if anything it had to say). If I can find a friendly CoP down there, I'll let you know. It might be a while because its not that high on my priority list. As explained to me by their members, they will help where they can, but understandably most all of their resources are directed at helping people of RI fight against the nose thumbing that goes on WRT their own laws. Non-res has to take a back seat until that mess gets sorted out.

Last edited:
I do have several real legitimate reasons for applying for the non resident ccw permit..... aside from the obvious

First off, if you reason is solid enough, RI non-resident permits have indeed been issued without an appeal. Trust me onthat one :). One the other hand, approvals after appeal seem more common than "approvals by mail".

Generally, you will win an AG appeal if you have a very specific reason (employment is a biggie) that you can document, and is not simply your attempt to verbally explain the general fear of crime to which all subjects are subjected. Once you produce such a reason, they generally seem to be willing to issue, though RI permits frequently come with restrictions such as "work only", especially on initial issue. And yes, the validity (or lack thereof) of such restrictionss is subject to debate, but I lack sufficient expertise on RI law to offer an opinion that is anything other than speculation, so I will remain silent on that point.

The hearing is conducted in an office, not a courtroom, with two people from the RI BCI present. Expect polite treatment - they will not try to intimidate you or be anything less than professional in their dealing with you. This does not, however, mean they will always answer yes.

Although court cases have been won forcing towns to process applications from residents, the general approach in RI is to ignore the precedent and force each applicant to bring a new case compelling the chief to accept an application. Also, RI law does not allow localities to change the fee for a license, so they simply add a separate "application fee" to the "license fee" (something that to the best of my knowledge has been untested in court).

It is unlikely you will find a town willing to issue to non-residents, simply because no PD will want to take on the workload once word gets out in the net.

Last edited:
I also have intrest in this topic as I live so close (walking distance) to the RI border I catch myself now that I carry that I see the entering RI signs I cringe. My gym is also in RI so Im in RI, at least 5-6 times a week..

I also have intrest in this topic as I live so close (walking distance) to the RI border I catch myself now that I carry that I see the entering RI signs I cringe. My gym is also in RI so Im in RI, at least 5-6 times a week..
If you meet the criteria in 11-47-11, you can apply in any town in RI as others have said. The basic requirements are that you are a US citizen, at least 21 years old, and is a resident or have a permit from another state. Can I assume you have a MA permit?
http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/statutes/title11/11-47/11-47-11.HTM
What is your closest town in RI? It is no requirement that you have any ties to the town you apply in, but it will probably be a little easier if you have some kind of connection (a business is best).
As it was said earlier, some Chiefs do not follow the law and does not provide an application. Every chief I know of that has been sued over this has lost.
Unfortunately, there is no case law on a denial for either a resident or non-resident as of now, but I think this will change in the near future... The problem is that many Chiefs deny applicants without giving a proper reason, which is in against Case Law (Mosby v Devine).. They simply state that the applicant does not have a proper reason, without providing any more information... I doubt this argument will hold up in court and I hope this will be resolved soon.
For a list of towns that at least have applications, check out rifol.org.
http://www.rifol.org/pistolpermitstudy.php
http://www.rifol.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=42

You can also apply with the AG, but he is May Issue while the Chief's are Shall Issue. If you have a good reason then they will probably issue, but Self Defense is not a good reason for them...They will also most likely put a meaningless restriction on your permit that is hard to get rid of.

HOLY CRAP! How long did that take you? 2 1/2 years? They really busted your balls.

Well, most of it was me. Was saving for a house and that took priority over lawyers fees. :)

Still...not an easy one to get for sure. You have to really fight for it. You are guaranteed to get refused the first go around. You are almost guaranteed to have some sort of a restriction if your appeal is successful. They really push for a true "need". If you say for business, they want tax numbers, business licenses, insurance papers, etc.
So stupid.....

Back
Top Bottom