• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

what can i use?

the band chart from the arrl. website shows amateur extra, advanced, general, tech, novice. what is advanced fall under? i have a general but were only 3 tests

Advanced was an old license class between General and Amateur Extra. General is still General.

uj

If I remember right, the dif between extra and advanced was the code speed req't and the extra gave you more frequencies than the advanced. Been licensed for 53 years and a lot changed when the code req't was dropped. Jack. W1FKG.

Last edited:
Scott- Advanced is still Advanced. The band plans should show the advanced frequency privileges, as they were not grandfathered in to Extra or anything.

Yes Jack- was Novice (5wpm), Technician, General (13 WPM), Advanced, and Extra (20 WPM)
Each class gave more frequency priv.

I held Advanced for nearly 20 years and when my elmer's key went silent in 2007= I upgraded to Amateur Extra to get a short callsign for contesting.

I'm a new guy licensed since 1988.

Jay W1UJ

Advanced is a class of the past and there still a few advanced class license holder out there, however they are dying out literally. It is a class between General and Extra and is no longer an obtainable class. Only Technician. General and Extra are available form the FCC. When the FCC changed the classes they should have automatically upgraded the Advanced class to Extra, however they saw fit not to. To move from the Advanced class to Extra you still have to take the Extra exam so many of these class holders chose not to. The band privileges are almost the same, only slightly different and in my opinion not worth the trouble to take the Extra exam.
John N1HM

I'm a general with a cert for extra pass license but no code. (When I went for my general they passed me the advanced test, then the extra test. I passed both. Then did the code and squeaked out the 13WPM. )

I suck at code.

Yeah, basically advanced is missing from the rules. I thought it was supposed to be rolled into extra, but wasn't. I'm guessing though that FCC wouldn't bother anyone as an advanced who was operating in extra bands. That said... Not many people out that way and so why bother straying our of the general limits?

Advanced is a class of the past and there still a few advanced class license holder out there, however they are dying out literally. It is a class between General and Extra and is no longer an obtainable class. Only Technician. General and Extra are available form the FCC. When the FCC changed the classes they should have automatically upgraded the Advanced class to Extra, however they saw fit not to. To move from the Advanced class to Extra you still have to take the Extra exam so many of these class holders chose not to. The band privileges are almost the same, only slightly different and in my opinion not worth the trouble to take the Extra exam.
John N1HM

I still hold an advanced class license which I got in 1986. From time to time I kick around taking my extra class exam but it would only net me a few extra Mhz of bandwidth. To me, not worth the aggravation.

The biggest reason(s) for Extra;
-You never have to do it again
-Most of rare DX, or DXPeditions usually are in the extra CW portion of the HF bands.

But, I am primarily a CW guy. I consider it very much worth it to upgrade to extra.

CW/code is no longer a licensing requirement, although somehow more popular than ever.

uj

Back
Top Bottom