What Can a Minor WITH and FID Buy?

Was talking with my 16 year old and this came up. I've perused the laws and I found restrictions on high (standard, dammit!) capacity but I can't find anything saying that a minor, with an FID can not purchase say, ammunition. What about a single shot rifle or shotgun? I bought 10/22 for her that is in my name. Does she have to wait until 18 to have a firearm in her name or could we transfer it to her name now?

I'm sure others will chime in, but I think she can only purchase (own) shotguns and limited capacity bolt action rifles along with a tube feed Marlin Model 60 .22

18yo to purchase ammo or firearms. She/He is welcome to possess them by her/himself and have access to them at home.

I've had my FID for the past 4 years and just turned 21.

Low capacity shotguns = all pumps have no tube limit, and semi's holding 7? or less rounds.
Low capacity rifles = detachable magazines 10 rounds or less. If it is "readily capable of accepting large capacity feeding devices" then it's a no go. Which means almost all popular semi auto rifles.

FID under 18 only allows for transporting firearms. You must be 18 to purchase low capacity rifles/shotguns and ammo. If your buying ammo used in both pistols and rifles (.22LR, 9mm, etc) you need to state that it will be used in a rifle. Since you have to be 21 to buy a handgun you cannot buy ammunition for pistol use until your 21. Dick's, Walmart, and some other shops may not know this that well.

Pump and most semi shotguns are good to go.

Semi automatic rifles are tough since almost all are "readily capable of accepting large capacity feeding devices". If you call around you may be able to buy some unconverted saigas or single stack ak47's but most shops will deny you to play it safe. Ask around some will do it for particular rifles. AR15's, AK's, M1A's, AR10's, yada, yada, yada all have aftermarket mags that hold more than 10 rounds, therefore they are "readily capable of accepting large capacity feeding devices" and are considered high capacity = LTC only.

All bolt action rifles. Now is a perfect time to go to Dick's and buy a $400 Remington 700 and throw it in a chassis. Learn precision shooting. Once you get into long range shooting it can become addiction, like anything else.

Last edited:
18yo to purchase ammo or [STRIKE=undefined]firearms[/STRIKE] low capacity long guns. She/He is welcome to possess them by her/himself and have access to them at home.

FIFY

I know that you know what you meant, but since the MA gun law definition of "firearm" is handgun, this needed a nit-picking clarification of what you really meant. [wink]

18yo to purchase ammo or firearms. She/He is welcome to possess them by her/himself and have access to them at home.

18 years is the federal minimum for purchase from dealers - some states have lower ages for sales (in Virginia the age is 12), so presumably in those states minors could legally purchase guns FTF.

Back
Top Bottom