• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What can a MA resident buy in Maine?

Birdman_308

NES Member
I just got back from the range with another NES member where I bumped into a guy (MA resident) who bought a .22 pump action rifle at the Kittery trading post. I also talked to 4 seasons today about reloading supplies and they told me to go to Kittery because they have it in stock.

I know I can't buy handguns out of state, but what can a MA resident with a LTC buy in Maine/NH?

Long guns? What about EBR's?
Reloading supplies?
Ammo?

Thanks for your insight. I would hate to drive all the way up there and find out I can't actually buy anything.

Jonathan

I know I can't buy handguns out of state, but what can a MA resident with a LTC buy in Maine/NH?
Yep, per federal law.
Long guns? What about EBR's?
Yep, as long as they compliant with the MA AWB [spit].
Reloading supplies?
Ammo?
Yep & Yep

Also, no post-ban hi-cap magazines per the MA AWB [spit]

Yep, Kevin is right. You can buy ammo and reloading supplies, and you can buy long guns you're legally allowed to own here in MA. Typically one cannot buy handguns out of state, but you can also probably buy those at KTP (or other Maine FFLs) if you work it right, Birdman. ATF has said you are a resident in in Maine when your staying in Maine, and a resident of Mass when staying in Mass. It really depends upon what KTP will accept as proof of residency in Maine.

(Birdman has a house in Maine, for those of you confused by my comments)

As a Mass. citizen,I still think we are allowed to buy lobster in Maine,at least last time I checked?

Nope, it's a felony to even posess a lobster in your home in Mass. without an FID/Lobster restricted.

*Edited to add*

I'm joking, of course.

Last edited:
Yep, Kevin is right. You can buy ammo and reloading supplies, and you can buy long guns you're legally allowed to own here in MA. Typically one cannot buy handguns out of state, but you can also probably buy those at KTP (or other Maine FFLs) if you work it right, Birdman. ATF has said you are a resident in in Maine when your staying in Maine, and a resident of Mass when staying in Mass. It really depends upon what KTP will accept as proof of residency in Maine.

(Birdman has a house in Maine, for those of you confused by my comments)

If you have a DL in MA I don't think it's legal to have one for ME as well... so how could you prove you are a "resident" of Maine as well? I too have a house in Maine and don't think it's quite that easy.

If you have a DL in MA I don't think it's legal to have one for ME as well... so how could you prove you are a "resident" of Maine as well? I too have a house in Maine and don't think it's quite that easy.

That's why I said it depended entirely upon what the Maine FFL would accept as proof of residency. You could try a non-driver ID card from the Maine BMV. You could also try to get a Maine resident permit to carry concealed.

Last edited:
May a person who resides in one State and owns property in another State purchase a handgun in either State?

If a person maintains a home in 2 States and resides in both States for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a handgun in that State. But simply owning property in another State does not qualify the person to purchase a handgun in that State.

This can be found on page 43 of http://www.eworldshooting.com/manuals/fflbook1.pdf and has also been posted here many times.

Unfortunately, it is one of the answers in there that do not contain a reference to actual law. So I don't know how truly authoritative it is.

That's why I said it depended entirely upon what the Maine FFL would accept as proof of residency. You could try a non-driver ID card from the Maine BMV. You could also try to get a Maine resident permit to carry concealed.

I really need to get this figured out too. I would love to buy a ruger lcp in CT

Nope, it's a felony to even posess a lobster in your home in Mass. without an FID/Lobster restricted.

You can own a post ban lobster in MA. but it can not have the pre ban claws.

This can be found on page 43 of http://www.eworldshooting.com/manuals/fflbook1.pdf and has also been posted here many times.

Unfortunately, it is one of the answers in there that do not contain a reference to actual law. So I don't know how truly authoritative it is.

It is referencing 27 CFR II § 478.11. The relevant section of which, for this discussion, is as follows:

"A is a U.S. citizen and maintains a home in State X and a home in State Y. A resides in State X except for weekends or the summer months of the year and in State Y for the weekends or the summer months of the year. During the time that A actually resides in State X, A is a resident of State X, and during the time that A actually resides in State Y, A is a resident of State Y."

hollewud7 said:
I really need to get this figured out too. I would love to buy a ruger lcp in CT

Yeah, I know you and I have discussed it before and I've always sort of said I would be too chicken to actually try it! [thinking]

My experience is having a part time residency in GA.

In that state, their requirement is that you need to be a resident of GA for 6 months or more, in order to qualify as a resident. If you met that type of requirement, you'd probably fail to satisfy MA's residency requirement.

I suspect this varies quite a bit, state by state.

Yeah, I know you and I have discussed it before and I've always sort of said I would be too chicken to actually try it! [thinking]

haha yea me 2. I can see it now, walk into the store, pick out the gun. paper work is takin out. they ask for pistol permit, i show them my ct one. Then drivers license... its from mass. then the confusion begins.

The Kittery Trading Post will accept your most recent property tax bill as proof of temporary residency. Your tax bill MUST be the current one. It MUST show you as the property owner, and it MUST show that there is a dwelling on the property. (Can't just be a piece of land.) This allow you to buy as a Maine resident, but only on the days you are staying at your Maine property. No other documentation is accepted as proof of part time residency, ie: utility bills, renters agreements, etc. Not sure how long you would have to keep the handgun in Maine, or if you could even bring it back to your other state of residency. Maybe someone else could answer this.

lobster? are you guys talking the the dinnner kind or some other i dont know about

[smile] To try to bring it full circle...

lobstergun[1].jpg

A lobster gun.

...Not sure how long you would have to keep the handgun in Maine, or if you could even bring it back to your other state of residency...

AFAIK, there is no law dictating the length of time the firearm must remain in the state after acquisition. It can be brought back to MA immediately, providing you are appropriately licensed (in MA), and the firearm, as well as any mags, are AWB compliant.

lobster? are you guys talking the the dinnner kind or some other i dont know about

I edited my post to reflect humor.

AFAIK, there is no law dictating the length of time the firearm must remain in the state after acquisition. It can be brought back to MA immediately, providing you are appropriately licensed (in MA), and the firearm, as well as any mags, are AWB compliant.

Agreed, but I think it would look very shady to the feds if the timeline was abbreviated.

Agreed, but I think it would look very shady to the feds if the timeline was abbreviated.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would the Feds care? They recognize dual residency, and it is perfectly legal to purchase a handgun in (one of) your state(s) of residency, and transport that handgun to any other state (in which you are authorized to possess it pursuant to State law). Further, how would they even know you transported your legally acquired handgun between your states of residence (or any other state, for that matter)?

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would the Feds care? They recognize dual residency, and it is perfectly legal to purchase a handgun in (one of) your state(s) of residency, and transport that handgun to any other state (in which you are authorized to possess it pursuant to State law). Further, how would they even know you transported your legally acquired handgun between your states of residence (or any other state, for that matter)?

Predator Drones! They see and log everything!

j/k - put the tinfoil down folks! [rofl]

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would the Feds care? They recognize dual residency, and it is perfectly legal to purchase a handgun in (one of) your state(s) of residency, and transport that handgun to any other state (in which you are authorized to possess it pursuant to State law).

I'm talking about appearances and ATF. If you live in a restrictive state like Mass. and only take short trips to a free state where you buy guns that you immediately bring back to Mass., it could raise some red flags about the validity of your residency. Obviously it's legal if you really are a dual resident and people do it, but I'd really want to "avoid the appearance of evil" in that situation. In the past I've seen a few people on here trying to find a way to do it just to be able to pick up cheap non-compliant handguns.

Further, how would they even know you transported your legally acquired handgun between your states of residence (or any other state, for that matter)?

Guntrace. Remember the Benjamin Booth LEOSA case? He was also brought up on federal charges for buying in another state. His dual-residency was likely due to his military status, which is clearly allowed in 18 USC 921(b), but he probably had to spend a considerable amount of money defending himself in court.

Back
Top Bottom