• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What bugs me about gun stores

Let’s be real. Hand loading is basically a hobby. If you count in the time investment, basement space, etc, is an average shooter really saving money?
As @Broc wrote, this has been discussed many times before. For me, I save money on every round I handload compared to buying factory ammo. That said, I DON'T handload to save money. I handload to make better ammo than I can buy. This has also been debated before, and for some shooters, factory loads are plenty good enough for their purposes. Really talented and skilled shooters can be competitive with some factory ammo, but as a generalization, I know of NO top level rifle competitors who don't load their own ammo. In the precision game(s), factory ammo, no matter who makes it, is simply not good enough to keep up with handloads customized to your rifle/discipline.

If you hate it and are torturing yourself to save a dime per round then yeah its prob not the way to go. Guys make it sound like people who reload are lawyers who are losing billable hours so they can load a couple hundred rounds in the basement.
I was mainly thinking of guys like myself who mainly shoot pistol in common caliber. I also don’t shoot much so for me, it would be pointless financially. I also live in a smallish apartment, so I just don’t have the space.

I get that if you shoot oddball rifles like Broc the sniper (😘) and burn through crates of ammo it’s worth it.

I still maintain that there is a hobby aspect to it which I’m not ragging on, I get it. Some guys like doing doing it. I’m sure it’s the same as me spending a day casting lures into the lake and not really caring if I don’t catch anything. It’s meditation

Your cost estimation is not 100% accurate. Your brass cost is a every changing variable. It cost you something, but exactly what that cost is is really unknown. I'll typically add $.05 CPR for a brass cost.
If he’s been reloading the same brass for years (dozen plus reloadings) I don’t know how or if you can put a price on the brass. In my mind it would be damn near $0 😂

Visited a gun store today as I was passing. There was one person behind the counter helping someone and I was perusing around. After a bit I didn't see anything that was of interest, but as a norm I usually buy a box or two of ammo just because I've come into someone's shop. Well this particular shop does the crap that really bugs me. They had all the ammo behind the counter and none of boxes had prices. So even if you want to see what the cost would be you'd have to actually talk to someone to find out. That is just total garbage. What, you going to change the price depending on how you feel and I guess you don't trust your customers so you hide the ammo behind the counter? Ammo has no business being behind the counter where customers can't see it. Another gun store in that town has the ammo on the floor so it's a decision this particular shop made. Don't think I'll be back to that that shop.
Maybe go to the other gun store then🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

If he’s been reloading the same brass for years (dozen plus reloadings) I don’t know how or if you can put a price on the brass. In my mind it would be damn near $0 😂
Yea, this could be true. Like I said brass is an unknown cost. I have two 5 gallon buckets filled with 9mm and 45 acp range brass that I got for free, yet when I first started reloading I bought a few thousand O/F casings so I got NO clue how to peg an accurate brass CPR .

Your cost estimation is not 100% accurate. Your brass cost is a every changing variable. It cost you something, but exactly what that cost is is really unknown. I'll typically add $.05 CPR for a brass cost.
Your wrong.

The brass I have i bought decades ago when I fired it. I would have fired it wether I planned to reload or not. All it slcost me was the time I spent sweeping it up.......and as I stated before......my time costs me nothing because it's spare time not time I would have spent working.

I give this thread rant a 3 out of 10.

I don’t shop at stores where everything is behind a counter. I will say this for the Deli ticket emporium, all the ammo is out for customers to grab. I also frequent D & L in RI which has bulk out on the floor and smaller boxes behind the counter. Plenty of help to ask or just have them grab it when you check out. I don’t think I’ve ever left that store without picking up something as they have a ton of everything from mags, holsters, to optics, AR parts, ammo and obviously guns.

Those are not semi wadcutters so not apples to apples.

Also....as stated above.....I'm not giving up paid time at work to reload. My time is free......because I do it in my SPARE time. Also....I actually enjoy the work.......if you don't enjoy reloading then your time is what YOU think it's worth......seems to me you treat reloading like a chore...... I happen to enjoy sitting at the bench.....its relaxing.
I don't recall you indicating the type of bullet used. I choose FMJ. All I am seeing is you trying argue.
I reload for a purpose. When I need more. I will crank them out.

Those are not semi wadcutters so not apples to apples.

Also....as stated above.....I'm not giving up paid time at work to reload. My time is free......because I do it in my SPARE time. Also....I actually enjoy the work.......if you don't enjoy reloading then your time is what YOU think it's worth......seems to me you treat reloading like a chore...... I happen to enjoy sitting at the bench.....its relaxing.
All these "how much is your time worth?" People make me laugh, specially since they are f*cking around in a forum not getting paid.

The brass I'm loading I saved up over more than a decade. I wasn't reloading back then but had a feeling I would someday and always saved my brass. As I said in my reply.....I would have bought and shot that ammo anyway so I see the cost as zero. I have dozens of 5 gallon pails of brass in my basement. Yeah.....the cost is zero for my brass lol.

It's like some of these guys make up excuses to not reload. 🤣

Yea, this could be true. Like I said brass is an unknown cost. I have two 5 gallon buckets filled with 9mm and 45 acp range brass that I got for free, yet when I first started reloading I bought a few thousand O/F casings so I got NO clue how to peg an accurate brass CPR .
If you have buckets full that you shot yourself or picked up off the range the cost is zero.

Let’s be real. Hand loading is basically a hobby. If you count in the time investment, basement space, etc, is an average shooter really saving money?
Yes. Your "time investment" has zero monetary value. It's not likely that you took unpaid leave and left work early to reload. And your "basement space" has already been purchased. You didnt build a new basement just to reload. You're not buying it again.

I give this thread rant a 3 out of 10.

I don’t shop at stores where everything is behind a counter. I will say this for the Deli ticket emporium, all the ammo is out for customers to grab. I also frequent D & L in RI which has bulk out on the floor and smaller boxes behind the counter. Plenty of help to ask or just have them grab it when you check out. I don’t think I’ve ever left that store without picking up something as they have a ton of everything from mags, holsters, to optics, AR parts, ammo and obviously guns.

Problem wasnt that it was behind a counter, problem was that it wasnt priced.

The point is. If the difference between you buying ammo or reloading less than X. Is it worth it to reload to you. If you have the ability to buy ammo that is. If you can't. And you have the components to make your own. Then, you don't have a huge problem. Buying things in bulk does help. When ammo prices are so high now. You can still make a choice. Reload of buy new.

When I reload. I am doing thousands of rounds on a single stage setup. Why? I do not trust the powder charge. I am paranoid. I have at least 100 pounds of brass in my basement right now. Haven't reloaded in a few years. As I am still stocked up. I will most likely go another couple years before I start again. I do clean my brass before it is stored for any length of time.

This thread really went off the rails into reloading

Back
Top Bottom