What bugs me about gun stores

What bothers me more are stores that put tiny tags on rifles and I have to bother the guy and ask about the price on every rifle.

Example - Hunters Rendezvous does this. They have a lot of nice looking muskets with tiny tags.

Let’s be real. Hand loading is basically a hobby. If you count in the time investment, basement space, etc, is an average shooter really saving money?
A hotly debated subject. I say "no" . You are however probably saving "some" money if you are loading match rifle ammo. You also create total shooting independence from political volatile ammo buying climates.

when i got into shooting, ammo behind the counter was the norm. no big deal for me. i'd be directing my anger at something worth while.

the grouches there act like it's an incovenience to tell you, and that if you have to ask, it's going to be too much.
This seems to be a gun shop thing. Its like a test and if you keep coming back you eventually pass. Half the shops Ive been in make you feel like you should be apologizing for being there

Let’s be real. Hand loading is basically a hobby. If you count in the time investment, basement space, etc, is an average shooter really saving money?
Yes, because you are looking at it the wrong way.

This has been beaten to death ... but one more time.

1. If you are skipping work to reload, you are doing it wrong. So your "time investment" argument gets thrown out.

2. Most people usually reload when they would be doing something else that is useless, like watching TV. I would rather reload than watch some mind numbing TV show.

3. Even with the stupid cost of primers, 9mm ammo (one of the cheapest to reload) can still be reloaded for LESS than the cheapest 9mm steel cased factory ammo, and the reloads should be the equivalent of match ammo, so you are saving money and shooting better ammo.

4. No need to depend on stores to carry the ammo you want to shoot.

5. Basement space. Reloading can take up a lot of space or very little space. Just like everything else. If someone uses the basement for a business, then it might be stupid to take up space, but if it is used like the average basement, to collect sh*t you will eventually throw away, then it isn't a big deal.

The investment is not that great depending on how much you reload and what you reload. For example, it is cheaper to start reloading 45/70 than buying 300 of the cheap factory rounds.

I started reloading 6.5cm this week. Cost to start was the dies, bullets, brass and powder. Combined around $350 because I bought several pounds of powder ($200 worth). That $200 investment in powder will give me 700 rounds. Today, good match ammo for 6.5cm is $2-4 per round. Very good factory ammo for hunting is $1 - 2/round. You can do the math.

Last night I reloaded 70 rounds of 460 SW to go shoot tomorrow. I wasn't planning on reloading, but it was cold AF outside, the wife had to study and I had nothing better to do, so f*ck it, I reloaded some ammo.

Just like everything you can start reloading a caliber for $300 or $5K ... depends what you want and how you want to reload.

Last edited:
If you hate it and are torturing yourself to save a dime per round then yeah its prob not the way to go. Guys make it sound like people who reload are lawyers who are losing billable hours so they can load a couple hundred rounds in the basement.

I don't understand how you're both so generous that you feel the need to buy ammo as a self imposed shopping tax because you stepped into their store but also the price isn't listed so what if they charge more than you'd like to pay?
There aren't many gun stores near me. If I find one that has decent prices and decent stock (found one the other day..... Monadnock Firearms), if I can't buy a gun that day, Ill buy some
supplies or ammo even if its a little more than I could get online for. I want to try and do my part to keep stores like that around.

Here's how I always looked at it. The more you shoot the more you save, and the faster you cover your initial investment.

The more you shoot expensive calibers the more you save.

I generally don't load 9mm and .223 because its more work for minor savings., when ammo prices are down.

But something like .44 mag or .45-70, 6.5cm, etc......yeah, every box I'm saving 25 -30 dollars reloading.....yeah is worth it. And you can reload it how you like it.

+ adding in toxins to your home environment. unless shooting weirdo calibers, tuning for competition, or shooting big rounds, buying is cheaper.

+ adding in toxins to your home environment. unless shooting weirdo calibers, tuning for competition, or shooting big rounds, buying is cheaper.
Toxins? The dirtiest part of reloading (for me) is dry tumbling the brass but I do that outside.
If you’re into wet tumbling then all the “toxins” get dumped down the drain

Right now, with the cost of primers and such. You can buy the cheap stuff for very little more and have it shipped to your home. I use ammoseek.com myself. But, I have material to load. When it runs out. Not sure if I will be buying more.

I don't understand why this bothers you so much. If you don't like how they run the place, go somewhere else. I have a shop near my house but During 2020-21 ammo drought they used website scripting to buy up TS ammo and resell it for two-three times the price. I now go to a shop further away. My choice and no hard feelings
Did you read the OPs last sentence?

Right now, with the cost of primers and such. You can buy the cheap stuff for very little more and have it shipped to your home. I use ammoseek.com myself. But, I have material to load. When it runs out. Not sure if I will be buying more.
Your finding 45acp for $16 a box?

My load data costs at current inflated prices below.

Screenshot_20230204_195543_Reloading Assistant.jpg

Yes, because you are looking at it the wrong way.

This has been beaten to death ... but one more time.

1. If you are skipping work to reload, you are doing it wrong. So your "time investment" argument gets thrown out.

2. Most people usually reload when they would be doing something else that is useless, like watching TV. I would rather reload than watch some mind numbing TV show.

3. Even with the stupid cost of primers, 9mm ammo (one of the cheapest to reload) can still be reloaded for LESS than the cheapest 9mm steel cased factory ammo, and the reloads should be the equivalent of match ammo, so you are saving money and shooting better ammo.

4. No need to depend on stores to carry the ammo you want to shoot.

5. Basement space. Reloading can take up a lot of space or very little space. Just like everything else. If someone uses the basement for a business, then it might be stupid to take up space, but if it is used like the average basement, to collect sh*t you will eventually throw away, then it isn't a big deal.

The investment is not that great depending on how much you reload and what you reload. For example, it is cheaper to start reloading 45/70 than buying 300 of the cheap factory rounds.

I started reloading 6.5cm this week. Cost to start was the dies, bullets, brass and powder. Combined around $350 because I bought several pounds of powder ($200 worth). That $200 investment in powder will give me 700 rounds. Today, good match ammo for 6.5cm is $2-4 per round. Very good factory ammo for hunting is $1 - 2/round. You can do the math.

Last night I reloaded 70 rounds of 460 SW to go shoot tomorrow. I wasn't planning on reloading, but it was cold AF outside, the wife had to study and I had nothing better to do, so f*ck it, I reloaded some ammo.

Just like everything you can start reloading a caliber for $300 or $5K ... depends what you want and how you want to reload.
This guy knows what he's talking about. I agree.....my actual time spent is NOT a cost because I'd just be doing something else that woils not be making me money. I do it in my spare time not calling in sick to work to spend time at the bench.

Even at the stupid prices of primers and powder right now I'm making 45acp for $16 a box.

I agree RR.. I do the same shit, actually just did it today at MOMS in Foxboro. Bought an inline brake bleeder lol

IMO, ammo is behind the counter without pricing is so they can charge what they feel, whether or not they like you or not etc.. I would have walked out and outed the shop on here :)

An old shop that used to be located at a little strip mall Main St Hudson did this same sort of thing.. I got banned from there by the owner for asking too many questions about a shit ton of milsurp ammo he had laying around lol

Last edited:
There aren't many gun stores near me. If I find one that has decent prices and decent stock (found one the other day..... Monadnock Firearms), if I can't buy a gun that day, Ill buy some
supplies or ammo even if its a little more than I could get online for. I want to try and do my part to keep stores like that around.
Same with the fishing stores..I make a point to buy a rod every year from a local shop…just because they’re local…

This guy knows what he's talking about. I agree.....my actual time spent is NOT a cost because I'd just be doing something else that woils not be making me money. I do it in my spare time not calling in sick to work to spend time at the bench.

Even at the stupid prices of primers and powder right now I'm making 45acp for $16 a box.
And wadcutter/semi wadcutter rounds too. I think factory 45 wadcutter/SWC ammo is tough to get and pricy no?

If you're "Johnny 2 box, on sunday 4 times a year, shoot 1.5 boxes then leaves" archetype McBoring shooter, then sure, it's probably a waste of time. Or if you're making enough money where the cost of ammo is meaningless, then sure, I get that. That doesn't apply to lots of people.

If you like to shoot any volume at all, of anything, then it pays dividends quickly.

Even the old math was load 2000 rounds, get 1000 free. For wheelguns 38 spl on up the tradeoff is better than that. And thats not using skinflint components, if you flint hard you can get even better numbers.

bulk rifles it gets dicey for things like 223/556, but for precision rifle? youll always win big.

Thats what the math amounts to even for someone like me that bought upper tier materials. The only reason I'm not actively doing it right now is because I dont consume enough ammo every year at this point to bother. Back when I was more active I was shooting like 6-12K of 9mm and like 2-6K rounds of 45 every year. And that didnt iniclude the scads of money I saved on 38 and 357 magnum I loaded. (even at low volume, the dies and brass paid for themselves)

Those are not semi wadcutters so not apples to apples.

Also....as stated above.....I'm not giving up paid time at work to reload. My time is free......because I do it in my SPARE time. Also....I actually enjoy the work.......if you don't enjoy reloading then your time is what YOU think it's worth......seems to me you treat reloading like a chore...... I happen to enjoy sitting at the bench.....its relaxing.

Last edited:
And wadcutter/semi wadcutter rounds too. I think factory 45 wadcutter/SWC ammo is tough to get and pricy no?

The only common SWC ammo I ever saw was all commercial reloads. From M&M and others. There are some big names that might sell it as new ammo but its all overpriced shit
marketed towards rich people flirting with cowboy action shooting.... and consequently those offerings are terrible for most people.

Define "average shooter". If your shooting a box or 2 a month like the vast majority of "shooters" your not saving much. If your shoot a couple hundred rounds a week (my average) then I'm saving some money. But.....I do enjoy the process so there's that.

If you treat it like a chore then it's probably not for you.

A couple weeks ago I was at M&R Guns n Swanton VT, and I had the exact opposite experience. It must take these guys FOREVER to close up because just about everything was out and touchable. (Some stuff was locked away, notably some gorgeous 1895 Winchesters) Rifles, shotguns, ammo and handguns were all there for the fingerbanging. Prices on everything and the counter guys left iou alone until you asked a question. The place is way bigger than it looks.

I’d give it a 10/10

Back
Top Bottom