• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What brand of pistol cleaning mat do you use?

Right now I’m using a Range Maxx pistol cleaning mat. I’m not crazy for it. It soaks up solvent ok but I have to wipe the gun I’m cleaning down every time I pick it up as I t gets the gun wet every time I set it down. I’m thinking I should get one that I can wipe off that doesn’t soak up solvents. It also has a felt like surface that just attracts dog fur and everything else I happen to contaminate it with. So what’s the best mat out there to use? Which ones to avoid? Obviously I won’t be buying Range Maxx mats going forward or are they like others and I just need to replace it more often?

Right now I’m using a Range Maxx pistol cleaning mat. I’m not crazy for it. It soaks up solvent ok but I have to wipe the gun I’m cleaning down every time I pick it up as I t gets the gun wet every time I set it down. I’m thinking I should get one that I can wipe off that doesn’t soak up solvents. It also has a felt like surface that just attracts dog fur and everything else I happen to contaminate it with. So what’s the best mat out there to use? Which ones to avoid? Obviously I won’t be buying Range Maxx mats going forward or are they like others and I just need to replace it more often?
What ever towel my wife deams no good

I picked up this half inch foam rubber from harbor freight it's cheap. I put it across the whole top of the bench. When it gets really crappy. I throw it out and cut a few new pieces. I do use a microfiber under whatever I'm spraying. KIMG0506.JPG

The same old GI brown towel I've been using for firearms cleaning since 1994.

I think I washed it. Once.

Either a doubled up paper bag or a piece of cardboard.

I just use one of those small rug store samples. You know the ones they stack up as obsolete. Small tight weave and light colored. Dirty it up and shit can it. Go get some more.

Whatever you use makes a nice fire-starter afterwards for the wood stove as Hoppes #9 is kerosene based (If using a rug remnant and the rug has a fire retardant treatment, this may not work well).

Last edited:
Cardboard box and an old t-shirt.
Guest towels from the nice bathroom. When I'm done I wash my hands with the little shell shaped smelly soaps in the dish next to them.
What ever towel my wife deams no good
Old T shirt
u.s. gypsum plywood, its on the top of my bench. what's a gun cleaning mat? you mean there's an actual mat out there to clean a gun on?
The junk car ad paper that we get on Thursday. Sometimes, to switch it up, the Shaw's ad paper.
multitasking! i like it, scan the weeks specials while cleaning. i always wanted to read war and peace, i may start cleaning my guns on top of the book and kill those 2 birds.
The same old GI brown towel I've been using for firearms cleaning since 1994.

I think I washed it. Once.
Either a doubled up paper bag or a piece of cardboard.

Whatever you use makes a nice fire-starter afterwards for the wood stove as Hoppes #9 is kerosene based (If using a rug remnant and the rug has a fire retardant treatment, this may not work well).

Cheap bastards..... I’m too anal retentive for anything like that.

u.s. gypsum plywood, its on the top of my bench. what's a gun cleaning mat? you mean there's an actual mat out there to clean a gun on?

I clean my guns sitting on the couch using the leather ottoman. We don’t have space for a bench so this is basically the only place. The rubber mat was necessitated by wifey because of said new ottoman and living room rug. There’s still Breakfree and Ballistol on both :rolleyes: Whoops?

Cheap bastards..... I’m too anal retentive for anything like that.

You poor, poor man.

Good luck with all that. I think a part of it, from me anyway, isn't skinflinting: it's because I cleaned all my formative guns in the army. When you get used to cleaning your rifle using your own lap as your bench and your own dirty BDU trousers as your "mat," worrying about using anything else seems a little precious.

YMMV. But seriously, whatever floats your boat is fine.

Back
Top Bottom