What brand dies are interchangable with what machines?

I thought I read a thread about this a while back, but I couldn't find it (sh*tty search function).

Basically, I'm trying to figure out what brands of reloading dies are compatible with what machines, specifically the Dillon 550 and 650. Can you use Lee dies in those machines?

Conventional dies are 7/8x14 thread and are interchangeable so they should function in any machine. The exception are the proprietary dies Dillon uses in the SDB which function only in that machine.

Some dies are not made for progressive reloaders and do not have a sufficient flare in the bottom of the resizing die. These dies can be a problem as the case may not always line up perfectly with the die mouth and a flare is needed to ease the case into the die. When buying dies for a progressive press it is a good idea to make sure they were intended for such a machine and visually inspect them for sufficient flare.

Well, now I feel dumb about buying Dilllon dies for my 550 for a couple calibers that I had Lee dies for

Although I did get them for 15 a set.

curly

curly, i tried using the Lee dies in a Dillon 650, its not that they don't
work, they do... BUT the tolerances at the mouth of the Lee are too
tight for a progressive press, too many jams and crushed cases.

The Dillon dies have a flared mouth and allow for faster loading.

JimB

On a 650, if you set the slide that positions the brass in the shell plate properly, the Lee, specifically the undersized "U" die from EGW, is the way to go, especially for bulged 9mm and .40. Not being flared at the bottom is an advantage because its complete length resizes, getting the sizing correct down to a point closer to the base. If you load a bunch with a Dillon die and a bunch with a Lee U, and then case gage it, you'll see the difference. You'll have 0 rejections with the Lee die. If you have a stock Glock or something similar, the barrel won't know the difference. If you have a 1911 or the like, a bulged piece of brass with get stuck in the chamber sooner or later and it is a bitch to get out.

+1 on the Lee undersized die. I use one in .40 in my 1050. This die has saved thousands of "Glocked" brass that would have otherwise been useless to me as both my Para P-16s have match barrels with tight chambers. I have noticed that the Lee die can save a case that has been fired once in a loose chamber, but cases that have been fired more than once will leave a belt at the base that renders them useless.

Back
Top Bottom