• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What are your top three 'must have' rifles?

Ranges? no, but there are plenty of places that you can reach past 300 yards.

I got land in western mass that I can shoot 1/4 to 1/2 mile on depending on time of the year / how lazy I am with trimming .

I really need to get some thing so I can try shoot a half mile lol .

Can you take me to one of these wonderful places where I can safely shoot past 300 yards?

If you looked like your avatar and talked my gf in to a 3 way I would give you the address.

Last edited:
Hmmm...

Shiloh Sharps - just have him watch Quigley Down Under and he'll understand
7.62x54r Vepr or a real Drag - the Hammer of Thor in terms of muzzle flash, but not bad recoil and mine was pretty accurate. Miss that gun.
Ruger 10/22

My psl isn't that bad at all . Even my 16" psl when it worked wasn't that bad .

Answer: What is- any firearm considered to be an "assault" weapon.

I mean, you have 7 pages of AR and AK variants...pretty clear (even before this thread came to fruition) that those are the front runners.

Can you take me to one of these wonderful places where I can safely shoot past 300 yards?

The Mass Pike is a great place to shoot past 300m when things get bad... Hell, go to the top of the Pru or a few other buildings and you can really reach out and touch someone. Lot of stairs though and egress may be an issue.

My three rifles most likely to be ban-hammered:

SCAR 17S
AR15 lower with DIAS (half a dozen uppers for any situation)
Crye Six12 (ok not a rifle but likely to be banned by Hitlery)
612.jpg
Crye-Precision-Six12-Modular-Add-On.jpg

Last edited:
The Mass Pike is a great place to shoot past 300m when things get bad... Hell, go to the top of the Pru or a few other buildings and you can really reach out and touch someone. Lot of stairs though and egress may be an issue.

Congrats! you are now on-radar!

Introducing a friend to firearms, and during one chat was asked what I thought a great question to share here:

"Worst case scenario, Hitlery gets elected. What three rifles should you already have in your collection and why?" To make it more direct, let's say what three we should have that most likely will be difficult/impossible to get after the election. I figure bolt guns are safe for the time being.

What say you...and why?

(To make it even more interesting, what say we have two budget categories, 2000 for all three in the first, and 5000 for the second.)

If it looks like Hitlery is going to be elected, screw the budget; I'm going to max out my credit card and get:

M1A Super Match
Barrett M82a1
American-made AK.

AR-15: 'cuz the black rifle thing.
VEPR in 7.62x54R: Distributors have stock now, but were impossible for a while due to no Russian imports. And because .308 is for wimps.
Any 50 BMG: Because it scares the piss out of libtards and is already banned in CA, the utopia that all other states should follow.

This. I would opt for imports first as they are the easiest to ban, then something in .50 as that will likely be on the radar too because of its extra killy nature. I wouldn't waste money trying to acquire regular bolt action rifles as those would be the last thing to get regulated since they are considered to be hunting/sporting arms as opposed to military "assault" type weapons (even though we all know that a good bolt rifle and scope combo can be just as effective as the scarier looking black rifles). Remember, it's all about perception, not reality when talking about the liberal mindset.

This thread pisses me off because you guys are fantasizing about defeat.

However, in my opinion, economist nails it.

Assuming bolt guns are safe, in order I would go with: light/compact AR-15 (16" carbine / aimpoint); heavier precision AR-15 (18" rifle / scoped); .308 scoped AR setup (e.g., LaRue OBR 7.62). Add more than enough normal capacity mags and piles of ammunition.

A 50BMG would be cool but for that money you could have several uppers for these 2 AR's in different calibers for when you mouth breathers fall into an other panic buying fit.

Thanks for all the input!

This has livened up the discussion quite a bit. I'm not especially enamored with the AR platform <shrug> so the more variance the better.

I wish my eyes could see 600 yards clearly, but for a lot of us that is not the case. Adding a quality optic is a necessity, at least for me. (I have seen Quigley Down Under, and I agree, that would be quite the rifle to have!)

In a perfect world we wouldn't have to have discussions like this, but to me thinking of the possible outcomes and formulating a strategy makes sense. Given how the populace votes, I don't think I could be surprised at what stupidity they come up with next...

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/co...le-762x54r-red-svd-style-detail.html?Itemid=0

Insert the Homer Simpson drooling picture.

The 5 round magazines bothers me though, and apparently the 10 rounders have functional issues.

Check the Vepr forum (it's its own website, not on here) and they comment more on Vepr mags. Never heard a bad word spoken about the 10 round mags and there's even 20 round mags available for the 7.62x54r Veprs now. They came out a bit before the whole Obama executive order/import ban on Russian things like Saigas and Ural motorcycles happened.

What bothers you about the 5 round mags? They're not small rounds at all, plus they're rimmed, and it's not a light gun. A lot of states like NH have 5 shot restrictions for hunting and there's about 2 practical purposes for a 7.62x54r Vepr - hunting or a DM rifle. I thought about using it for heavy metal 3 gun, but it's not a "fast" gun to operate.

TrackingPoint Precision-Guided Bolt-Action .338 TP
Beretta Imperiale Montecarlo Shotgun
Holland & Holland “Royal” Deluxe Double Rifle

Back
Top Bottom