What are your favorite 9mm Luger ammo brands?

vickers

NES Member
As I have said in other threads, it has been really hard since January to find 9mm Luger in Northeastern Mass (Essex County mostly). Some NESers have been kind enough to send me some suggestions of places to go so I am now flush with ammo for the time being.

However, since I am a new pistol shooter I have only had limited experience and so far have only shot the following brands. I also have about 450 rounds of PPU that I got from Walmart but have not had a chance to shoot yet. I am looking for mostly ammunition to use for practice and IDPA.

Speer FMJ 115gr
Remington UMC FMJ 124gr
Fiocchi FMJ 115gr
Blazer Brass 115gr

Out of these I think I like the Fiocchi best so far. Seems very clean.

But I was wondering which brands most NES people would say are the good ones (and why) and which should I stay away from. So how would you rank your top 5?

I use Fiocchi, Federal, Aguila in competition.

BrassMaxx, Tula, WWB I use for high volume training.

Nothing beats rolling your own. I know it's not the answer you're looking for but post #2 mentions competition. Your own reloads tailored to the specific match can be paramount once you get serious.

I tend to favor 124gr American Eagle or Aguila. S&B 115gr is decent too. The S&B packaging is very space efficient which is really helpful!

My glock will eat anything.

I have no problem finding 9mm. wont pay over $14 a box for brass. especially when I can get tula for range use for $10.

I miss seeing those $19 federal value packs.

I have mostly blazer brass and American Eagle FMJ and PPU JHP - all shoot well...but like rep308 said, basically what is on sale and what I can find.

Rem UMC is normally not 124 gr, its 115gr. It and Blazer Brass 115 both work, but they are more on the "crap" side. Not bad if you can't get anything else but for the $14 or $15 it usually commands you can usually do better. Something weird about the ejection pattern on these, either they're underpowered or the powder charge they use is weird. Erratic ejection on Glocks (I've even seen it on older ones) and other guns. People I know with semi Uzis seem to have issues with these.

WWB and Fed Champion 115gr basically walk all over either of those, whether in bulk 100s or 50s.

Aguila 124gr FMJ is pretty good. Runs pretty clean.

Fed AE 124gr FMJ is good stuff too, but good luck finding any nowadays.

Tulammo 9mm 115gr is actually decent, for steel cased ammo... dirty as hell though, but not really much more than UMC is.

The 124 gr handloads I used to make with 4.2gr of titegroup and FMJ-enc (enclosed base, CMJ bullets) put most of the stuff to shame. Cleaner, hot enough to run uzis, and like maybe $8 a box tops nowadays to make. I'll be rolling em out again soon, but got the above commercial stuff for now. Never buying another box of UMC or Blazer Brass 115 if I can avoid it, though.

-Mike

I have been lucky, the 9MM guns I have don't seem to be picky at all. I have probably 8-10 different brands of brass cased and have had no issues. I don't usually buy steel anymore. i do have some steel tula I bought a while back i am saving until there is nothing else. From a storage standpoint the Fiocci boxes are smaller than most, this is good for the overstuffed safe.

Last edited:
My glock will eat anything.

I have no problem finding 9mm. wont pay over $14 a box for brass. especially when I can get tula for range use for $10.

Where are you getting Tula for $10/box? From an online place thats out of stock? [laugh] Cheapest I've seen it is $11 before shipping. When Collectible has it is $12.

Those are never happening again, so you can pretty much forget about that... what was that, the 2007 price? [laugh]

-Mike

124g Remingtons seemed to work the best in almost all the 9mm's for the wife and I. I got tired of trying to find ammo and started reloading, using 124gr for those too. Works a charm.

Last edited:
For FMJ I normally go Blazer or WWB if I can find it. If not what ever is available that I recognize the name of.

Where are you getting Tula for $10/box? From an online place thats out of stock? [laugh] Cheapest I've seen it is $11 before shipping. When Collectible has it is $12.

Those are never happening again, so you can pretty much forget about that... what was that, the 2007 price? [laugh]

-Mike

walmart, near me its $10.40 for a box of 50 tula, and tax free.[grin] people usually avoid it and buy the brass for $15 a box. Why not save $4?! I just use it for range, not my stock pile.

I acutally got 6 of those value packs for $19 a pop a few months after sandy hook. those sit at the bottom of the pile. Have not seen the federal value packs in a longggg time always see the boxes of 50, usually see wwb but those go for $28-$35. [rolleyes]

I've only tried Aquila 124gr and Federal Champion 115gr through my M&P9 and they both ran great. I just placed an order for a case of Wolf WPA since it's the cheapest thing I can find right now ($11/50 flat $10 shipping). Hopefully my M&P likes steel case ammo.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

I reload and sort my brass. Federal is tops for pistol.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

handloads ftw. i find that i shoot 147gr more accurately than 115gr... why i have no idea. but it works out because i shoot 147 through my can.

I ran 500 rounds of this through my Glock and SR9C without an issue.

Just be careful of that crap if you ever compete in pistol sports. If they're still using the same "recipe" from several years ago, it might not make minor.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom