1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

What are you watching on Netflix thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by typedc5, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

Forgot about last resort, we watched that too until they killed it, then we stopped. It was one of 4-5 shows that got canned so early we stopped watching TV shows until we knew how many seasons would be made.

2. KMM696

KMM696 NES Member

With y'all on Triple Frontier. I am mildly disappointed I didn't hang on long enough to see the "good bit", but not disappointed enough to go back to it.

Did see the first episode of Love Death and Robots. If you like SciFi short stories, that's the format. First one had more of a punchline than a plot, but so do a lot of short stories.

3. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

The Dawn Wall

Documentary about a couple rock climbers, and it's awesome.

4. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I'm about 1/2 thru 3F. It's not bad. Writing isn't the best. Ben is mailing it in. Charlie Hunnam is Jax-in-a-uniform. Same accent. Same guy. We get it, you're English. But change it up. Hugo Weaving is English - look at all the American accents he can do. We shall see.

ALSO - found out that Amazon Prime has a lot of the old Ken Burns stuff. Going to watch Brooklyn Bridge and Statue of Liberty with my son this week. Those were great programs. Maybe sit him down with the Civil War.

5. Dip Dungles

Dip Dungles NES Member

Just finished up The Body Guard which was pretty good aside from the fact there are only 6 episodes in the first season. Another movie I attempted to watch last night was Triple Frontier which I made about 30 minutes into before I passed out hard. Going to try ad watch it again today to see if it really was that bad.

M1911 likes this.
  6. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

Me and the boy finished The Umbrella Academy finally. Enjoyable to the end, but my son is not a fan of the concept of "cliffhangers"........

I'm still pushing my way through re-watching "Game of Thrones" and am on the tail end of season 5

7. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I didn't realize until today that UE is a series - like there will be another season. Good thing as there are too many things unanswered. Like how did RH know about the end of the world??? Or did he??? And why do the children think a talking ape is perfectly normal????

CoastieRon likes this.
  8. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

Or a robot mom, created specifically with one child in mind......

Dennis in MA likes this.
  9. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

If the father didn't bring them all together to prevent the end of the world, then the end of the world would not have happened, right? So if he knew about the end, he should have done the opposite of what he actually did.

10. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

I'm willing to bet that 5 warned him from the past somehow.

11. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I don't think so. I think he knew always. It's the tie from the rocket ship and fireflies in the jar and the kids. He somehow knows.

Pogo knew how but didn't say. Frickin Pogo. "This is the last secret of your father." Wait. Nope. Still more, Pogz old boy. Stop your sad-facing and spill it, monkey-boy!

That and the whole, "this is the final secret" was never revealed to us. What Pogo told Luther (I think) was never revealed. The level of compartmentalization of information in this show is mind-numbing. To quote Will Smith in I, Robot, "You are the dumbest group of smart people that I've ever seen."

Remember in the first or second episode - RH was so convinced that time-travel was too dangerous for #5. HOW DID HE KNOW THAT???

I'm not sure I'll stick with the second season. I liked watching Altered Carbon because it wrapped up everything. If they wanna film a second season, go for it. But it can stand on its own. Mindhunter is different, but more a historical fiction piece. I've yet to stick with any Netflix "superhero" series. Can't do it. Now that I know this is multi-season, I'm not sure I want to. At least Hap & Leonard are back.

CoastieRon and Prepper like this.
  12. drumenigma

drumenigma NES Member

I binge watched all the episodes from Love, Death & Robots. A varied mix of animated short stories of different styles. Definitely NOT a kids show.

13. Dip Dungles

Dip Dungles NES Member

Decided to watch The Enemy at the Gates and forgot how much I enjoyed that movie. Granted you need to get over the fact that most if not all the main cast are not Russian, but still it's one of those movies I could watch countless times.

14. Stryker

Stryker NES Member

Finished 'The Widow" on Prime - 8 show self contained series - pretty decent overall - slow at times perhaps but intriguing enough to watch IMO

15. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

The book is even better. Everyone says it's based on Enemy At the Gates book. It isn't. It's based on the book War of the Rats. Robbins had a few Russian view WWII fictionalized books. I'm not sure why everyone says it's based on the other non-fiction book. WOTR has his romance and everything in there. It's virtually identical (save a few combined characters) to the book.

16. Dip Dungles

Dip Dungles NES Member

Good to know. Just downloaded it to my Kindle. Thanks for the suggestion!!

17. Artifact

Artifact NES Member

Too much Botox to be looking at for the entire season.

18. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

Yep, one of those shows that if I ever get tricked into liking, is doomed. I actually bought the series, and watch it now and then.

Lennie James ("Hawkins") is actually an English actor. Zombie fans probably know him from that one particular series, but I never watched it. I first found out he was English when I recognized him as Enjolras in the 1998 film version of Les Mis, starring Liam Neeson, Geoffrey Rush, Uma Thurman, and Claire Danes.

If you're a fan of the story, that's the only good dramatic film adaptation that I've found.

45collector likes this.
  19. 45collector

45collector NES Member

He was also in the movie "Snatch".

Dennis in MA likes this.
  20. je25ff

je25ff

Review?

21. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Finished Triple Frontier. It wasn't terrible. It wasn't a blockbuster.

I was wondering the whole movie why they just didn't mark the GPS coordinates of the "lost" $ and come back later. That just didn't make sense. Take a small amount of $ to get yourself back up and running and go back for the rest of it.

No. We're going to hump $250Mil over mountains. BIG mountains. In just a couple of days. With seemingly no food and maybe some water. And one fire. Strange.

It was all greedy Ben Aflicted's fault. I mean, DAMN. At $75M, they'd have $60K/yr for life each. Tax free. Nope. Gotta go for a 4x on that one, yo.

KBCraig likes this.
  22. drumenigma

drumenigma NES Member

I was entertained by pretty much every episode. The theme changes from show to show as well as the animation style. Very sci-fi centric across all episodes. There were only two episodes that weren't as adult, if at all, as the others. Episode 2(which was funny as heck to me) and one later on that is more thought provoking than anything. The rest have a fair amount of violence and/or nudity. Some videos probably could have been dragged out a bit more but clearly the aim was to get a variety of short videos in to the collection and not drag out one particular story. They range from a low end of maybe 7 minutes to 16ish at the high end.

je25ff likes this.
  23. je25ff

je25ff

For those who watched Umbrella Academy..

[​IMG]

KBCraig and CoastieRon like this.
  24. qqac

qqac

Just started "Into the Badlands", a kung-fu post apocalypse fantasy. It's superficially entertaining, with some nice eye candy, particularly the "Widow," who can kick major ass while rocking some dangerously high stilleto heels (this is on display in season 1 episode 2).

Grendizer138 likes this.
  25. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

I just found out season 3 is on there. Super excited to start that up. I found Into The Badlands very enjoyable....

26. je25ff

je25ff

Love, Death, and Robots is pretty good. It reminds me of Heavy Metal, the magazine that is.

27. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

I tried the first 5 minutes of the first episode and then turned it off.... It wasn't making any sense to me. Maybe if I force myself I would eventually like it, I dunno.

28. je25ff

je25ff

It's a twilight zone type deal.

Prepper likes this.
  29. Broomcorn

Broomcorn

Anybody else eagerly awaiting the premiere of 'The Dirt' tomorrow? I will be working until about 2am tonight and I'm tempted to watch it once I'm finished working (if it's available) knowing I will feel like Sh#t all day tomorrow if I do but it will be so worth it!!!!!! :):eek::D:rolleyes:o_O :emoji_metal:

Anyone know what time zone Netflix premieres are released on?

30. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I wasn't a hair-band fan back in the day, so I can take or leave The Dirt. It looks interesting but I have no sense of relation to it.