1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

What are you watching on Netflix thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by typedc5, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Choctaw

Choctaw NES Life Member NES Member

I think I caught part of one of those shows. A guy brought in an oddity but he wasn't sure what it was. He said he bought it on the street in south america. It looked like a leather sack you could fit a couple of oranges in. It was a bull's nut sack. The guy was pretty grossed out after that and said he didn't want it any more.

2. richc

richc NES Member

Ummm... a few years back we attended a BBQ at the home of a friendly NES member. He had a beautiful "man cave" with pool table, full bar, etc.. And there was a "tip jar".

The tip jar was cup shaped. About the size of a software and hairy. He had put a ceremonial dollar in it as a joke.

I innocently asked what is this? You got it... it was a bull's nutsack. He had another name for it but there it sat!

@BBQ.Uncle

:)

Choctaw likes this.
  3. 45collector

45collector NES Member

I finished The Last Kingdom this weekend. That was pretty good. I suppose I should watch Vikings now. Never saw more than a few episodes of it.

4. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I'm pretty sure I bought 3-4 of those back in the early 2000's from Sportsman's Guide as gag gifts. They were cheap and plentiful back then.

5. je25ff

je25ff

Honestly...Netflix is dead. I don't think it's the Disney thing, it's the content. Maybe I'm just too picky. I started watching Polar, which is ok I guess, but nothing else really jumps out. At my age I suppose my demographic is now out of target.

M1911 likes this.
  6. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

Not Netflix, but on Hulu "Better Off Ted" is pretty damn hilarious. It was an ABC show that I never heard of.

7. Mike Stanton

Mike Stanton

The Last Kingdom can't be beat.

My family is actually watching it thru for a SECOND time.

That never happens.

Lot's of sword play, military tactics, and character development.

And the characters die, both good and bad, with realistic regularity.

TrackDayRdr likes this.
  8. JRT

JRT NES Member

The Bodyguard series on Netflix is really good. It’s only 6 episodes and it’s pretty entertaining. Even better as a g36 owner as it seems every copper in London is issued one.

9. TrackDayRdr

TrackDayRdr NES Member

I'll second the Last Kingdom. Beats "Vikings" at it's own game except the eye candy. Katheryn Winnick is hard to beat.

[​IMG]

fivepak and Mike Stanton like this.
  10. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

It's the same one, though. They have to take turns with it.

11. qqac

qqac

Just watched "Triple Frontier," about a group of recently retired spec ops buddies who decide to carry out a mission just for themselves to steal money from a druglord in S America. I really wanted to like this movie, but it was so full of crap I don't even know where to begin, and could not cover it all myself anyway since I am not ex military and would not know how they should have done it, if they had brought in a decent technical advisor. What I do know is that using a backyard barbecue sized bottle of charcoal starter and squirting it here and there to set the druglord's mansion on fire is utterly lame. And why is the druglord's mansion, even if it is in the middle of the jungle, such a run-down POS with peeling paint, dingy furniture, etc.? How about the complete lack of discipline and chain of command in the unit, failing to stick with the mission parameters? What's up with operating limits of that helicopter, and trying to fly over the Andes as part of the exfil plan? What money laundering haven is off the Pacific coast of S America? If they flew east over Brazil to the Atlantic, they would not have had the altitude difficulties, and they could sail up to Nevis or other financial centers in the Caribbean.

12. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

I haven’t seen that but I’ve noticed in several of the various steaming providers original content an utter lack of realistic action sequences and weapons usage. And overall corny scripts and dialog. Like school project level bad.

It’s sadly gotten to the point where Netflix is just flooding their service with original garbage now instead of having a more limited level of original QUALITY content. It’s disappointing.

13. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

I just finished up the third and last season of Travelers. This is a terrific series and I'm sad to see it end. (I'm guessing there isn't much they can do to make another season due to how they ended it.)

14. dans

dans NES Member

I just started Formula 1. Only watched the first episode, but I've been an F1 fan forever.

15. Artifact

Artifact NES Member

Junk I agree

16. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

Netflix's original content seems mostly sucky, but maybe with time it'll improve.

17. miniion

miniion

Fyi, not on Netflix, but on Amazon prime:
    Brotherhood - shot in Providence, RI. Really good.

18. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

I saw an interview with Ben Affleck talking about how they took the guns real serious and didn't point them at each other. For shizzle.

Watched the first 2 minutes, and some super-duper-combat vet (introduced as such) was lecturing people in fatigues about how combat damages your psyche, or something. Next.

19. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

I am ex military, and I had the same reaction.

Also, there were five guys in a friggin' HIP (which carries 24 troops in back). Why were they carrying the money in a cargo net, when there was more than enough room inside?

There was also the typical BS where they travel out into the middle of nowhere, get to the op site, and the boss starts handing out guns that are new to everyone involved.

Artifact likes this.
  20. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Damn. I'm a big Oscar Isaac fan, too. I really want to like that movie.

I'm 6 episodes into Umbrella Academy. Very twisty. I like that. Klaus is my favorite so far. The poor guy. But there are times when I'm hitting FF (thank you Netflix for making a FF button!). There's been 2 "dance" montages in the series. 5 min of people dancing. I keep expecting Tom Bergeron to walk out.

But it's pretty good. Moving a bit slow - it could have been done in 6 or 8 episodes instead of 10 - but that's fine.

CoastieRon likes this.
  21. Artifact

Artifact NES Member

Netflix wrote the script on Friday, filmed the whole thing on Saturday / Sunday.

22. sieveboy

sieveboy NES Member

since A Clockwork Orange was added I haven't watched anything else

23. Broomcorn

Broomcorn

Tried to watch this last night. Fell asleep 3 quarters of the way through and I have no desire to go back to see how it ends.

24. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

I hope you at least saw
    Ben Affleck die.
    That was pretty much the highlight.

M1911 and CoastieRon like this.
  25. 45collector

45collector NES Member

Watching Jericho currently. I remember being sucked into the show a decade ago when it aired, but I don’t remember anything so far in the story line. I thought I would at least remember something, now at S2E6. It does have a lot of cheesy love drama and crap like that, but it’s a decent show.

26. Broomcorn

Broomcorn

Yeah I saw that LOL. I kind of checked out after:

They lost the donkey's then we are expected to believe they could hump those bags out of the andes on foot. Fell asleep some time after that. Can't remember exactly when Affleck got got, but I saw it.

27. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Finished Umbrella Academy. It was good, but typical of Netflix series lately, left out huge plot points. Like massive ones. It was just not edited well so they ran out of time. Another 10 min would have wrapped it up well even with the strange ending.

28. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

It got really good right before they killed it.

29. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

Jericho is a favorite of mine. So is Last Resort, and they both at least got the courtesy of making an episode or two to kill everything off.

My wife loves Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Every single time, I can't help but chuckle and smash up Captain Raymond Holt, and Captain Marcus Chaplin.

Andre Braugher is great in straight drama, or spoofing it.

30. Stryker

Stryker NES Member

A few episodes into the “the widow” on Amazon - not bad so far