• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What are YOU spending YOUR hard earned dollars on to prep for the inevitable eventual collapse of the U.S. Dollar?

I knew better than to post this topic on a Friday night.

…but I did it anyway.
You should post these questions on a real forum if you want real answers. NES if for shit posting only.
Lots of entertainment though.

I say Berkey with extra filters. Good for years of use per set.

Good saw/splitter/maul/wood stove.

You have a farm but you don’t have a way to make more beef. I would look at a bull or look at some pairs of goats/pigs/sheep to have breeding stock. Same for the hens and rooster. Get a heart breed that’s good for eggs and meet and does well raising their own.
I think Buff Orpington fits the bill.

Learn how to keep and use seeds from the garden. Take a class. Maybe some fruit trees.

Get a big pressure canner and learn how to use it. Buy jars monthly. Even if it’s just a dozen pints.

Meds if you can stock them up. Even the basics are important. Immodium can save your life. Powdered electrolytes or Redmond salt for when the Gatorade runs out.

Think about what you need.

Kill the main breaker on your house, for a few days.

I'm not paranoid, or even a "real" prepper, but the one thing that I see lacking in the preppers' preps is practice.

When Hurricane Irene came through, and we lost power for a week, we were not in bad shape as it was August. Even were it cold, we'd have been OK, as I have a wood stove. That said, the lack of 110 in the walls was a learning experience.

After the dry run, go back to step one.

It won't cover all eventualities, but it's more likely that "minor" issues will arise, as opposed to the ChiComs or Ruskies launching, or an asteroid dropping on us. Oh, and by "minor" I mean you come out of it with stories, not sutures.

Having a few solar 'generators' (battery banks) with some solar panels is a good idea for shorter term outages. I have a few Jackery's, but if I could do it all over I would have likely just gone with Bluetti. Also recommend solar motion sensor lights, can get them pretty cheap on Amazon. Admittedly, in New England the amount of exposure to the sun will be limited, but thinking Kentucky may be a little better.

Deep chest freezer with a low draw, this is something you can run using a battery bank if needed. There are also truck fridges/freezers, but have no experience with these.

Radios, preferably having a few of the cheap ones stored in a mission darkness faraday bag or similar wouldn't be the worst idea. Also recommend getting a cheaper radio like a Baofeng and programming it with the nearby channels that suit your needs, or would in an emergency situation (EMS, Police, Fire, etc.) Ham license is not only cheap, it was interesting to go through and learn some of the basics. GMRS if I recall only involved paying a nominal fee.

First aid kits - can never have enough of these. Some may be for basic first aid (minor cuts, burns, etc.) but also consider more significant trauma. Also CPR training. On a related note, Fishmox and similar antibiotics could be a lifesaver in a situation you don't have access to a doctor/pharmacy; and vitamins (particularly D3, Zinc, Monolaurin, C, etc.). Oil of Oregano is excellent for upper respiratory problems.

Water was already mentioned so no need to repeat.

Wool blankets

Books - Whether on local edible wild plants, medicines, or a compendium like Matthew Stein's 'When Technology Fails' - have resources you can reference if needed

Community- get to know the people around you - who are the assets, who are the liabilities, who have exceptional skills or commodities you could barter with if things got bad.

@76Too , you’ll know this one: Gerber Banana 2nd food tubs.

First aid and a radio system with my RTC pals. We’re trying to decide which system to go with, GMRS or CB.

Personally, we’re as ready as we can be for Massachusetts. Networks of friends are the most important thing to help ensure safety during a crisis.

If I could suggest to you, have a local person teach you butchering. A willingness to learn from the locals plus the fact that I know you’d be extremely respectful, would go a long way towards helping you with some networking.

For those asking about med's like antibiotics, look to chewy and other places online but you need to act fast, come April you will no longer be able to by antis online anymore.
I just bought more Amoxicillin this morning and will add that to the stash/cashe. I have taken it for the past 15 years with great success and it has helped many in my family. Get them now while you can as the Feds are making it illegal to purchase very soon.

I bought a few more radios ( yes Beofangs lol, like them as they are cheap to stockpile ) last week and added a few cheap small drones to my preps. I find the drones will be helpful with recon of my area and for 55.00 dollars on the jungle site a few can be had. I used the wife's old Samsung phone as the camera and ever thing is now stored in my Faraday cage, protected.

I also added a 308 semi auto to the mix, its not a high end rifle but its one that shoots and hasn't had one issue and can group to around 1.5-2" MOA at 150ish yards, good enough for center mass.
I got a C308 with 7 mags and 200 rounds of mixed ammo ( 7.62 and 308 ) and will be getting more mags this week. Its not a DMR and I am not asking it to be one, I just figured it was cheap ( under 600 ) and would get me a better punching gun on a proven style rifle.

last week and added a few cheap small drones to my preps. I find the drones will be helpful with recon of my area and for 55.00 dollars on the jungle site a few can be had. I used the wife's old Samsung phone as the camera and ever thing is now stored in my Faraday cage, protected.
tell me more about drone, cheapest useable one ? i do have a spare phone , do i need cell phone service to use one with the drone? how long the batt last? useable range ? plan a for me during shtf is to bug out , go home to my oversea location ,sit on the beach and watch the world kill each other lol. plan b is to put up a fence around my house and tell the world to f..k off lol. drones will fit in my plan nicely.

For those asking about med's like antibiotics, look to chewy and other places online but you need to act fast, come April you will no longer be able to by antis online anymore.
I just bought more Amoxicillin this morning and will add that to the stash/cashe. I have taken it for the past 15 years with great success and it has helped many in my family. Get them now while you can as the Feds are making it illegal to purchase very soon.
cite?

tell me more about drone, cheapest useable one ? i do have a spare phone , do i need cell phone service to use one with the drone? how long the batt last? useable range ? plan a for me during shtf is to bug out , go home to my oversea location ,sit on the beach and watch the world kill each other lol. plan b is to put up a fence around my house and tell the world to f..k off lol. drones will fit in my plan nicely.

The drone uses it's own WiFi signal, you down load an app and connect to your phone. I am not sure on the overall range and with any drone comes flying time, plus the cheaper the drone the harder to fly as the cheap ones don't have a stabilization and won't self correct in a wind gust. But even the cheap one I can fly around 100' above my house and get a full 360* view.
I am in my third week flying it and can do pretty well now flying around my house and even if I have my wife or friend hold the phone they I can see everything that could be a threat.

The one thing that takes some bucks would be a better generator. Currently I have a 5500W unit. I'd like something that will run the entire house including well pump.

Otherwise I'm pretty much all set.

I'm sure with some googling I could find some videos/suggestions on this, but I would prefer any solid first had experience people may have here on obtaining prescription type meds (antibiotics, antivirals, stronger pain meds, possibly diabetic supplys, etc).
I had a thread on this but the fudds accused me of being Rajesh the Shill from Mumbai so I deleted it.

Enjoy your horse paste and cat meds!

😂😂😂

Back
Top Bottom