• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What are YOU spending YOUR hard earned dollars on to prep for the inevitable eventual collapse of the U.S. Dollar?

Edit: I’m bumping this thread because I think it’s important given the dollar is taking a nose dive and could potentially tank in coming months/years.

I think a lot of you misread the thread title because I’m not looking for advice on what to spend MY money on. I’m looking to see what YOU are spending YOUR money on, to perhaps spark some brainstorming in others minds about what they should potentially be thinking about.

This could be things you’re buying to prep with, or things you’re buying as an investment to hold value when everything else isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on.

———————————————————

I’m in a position where supplemental income is basically non-existent. I can afford to live on what I make and I’m allowed one sizeable purchase a month (about $600) so as to not go into debt or dig into my savings.

I’m technically CHOOSING to live this way because I’ve decided to NOT deduct my 401k contributions (about $950/month), I’m ‘double covered’ on health insurance (VA and through work @$150/month), and I bought a ‘dream’ property I never could have imagined I ever could have made work, but I’m going on a year and am still cash positive (but VERY slightly).

My list is a little different from most where I now own a VERY small farm/homestead. You’re allowed to post as many times as you want to update your needs.

This is meant as a thread to get everyone thinking about maybe something they missed in their preps, or maybe need to pay a little more attention to and plan to buy in the future, maybe introduce someone to something that could be a good fit for them to survive what’s coming.

I’ll start (no shit, Sherlock) with my current top 5, but again, add as few or as many as you’d like.

1. Farm/land clearing equipment (minimum $600/month going to my tractor payment and usually a decent sum of other income spent on smaller items like maintenance for my chainsaw/tractor/truck/lawnmower.)

2. Extra food/feed for everyone (myself, my dog and my two black angus steers.) I’m trying to buy a little more than I need every week until my freezer is full of chicken, pork and fish…because right now I’m not harvesting or growing any of that)

3. Ammo. No shit. It should be on everyone’s list here and it’s probably as cheap as it will be for the foreseeable future right now. I can’t buy much while I’m paying for my tractor, but even a few boxes every time I go to town will add up over time.

4. Gardening supplies/tools/seeds/books. I don’t have a god damn clue what I’m doing in this department, but I’m going to try and figure it out. Society is relatively stable right now, but we’re on a razors edge and could go either way at this point.

5. Home improvement/security related items. Last week I bought security light fixtures for the exterior of my home (motion lights that should be able to detect motion in almost every area surrounding my house). In the next year I want to replace the doors with satellite glass with solid doors or smaller windows up high on the door.

So what say you, NES…what are the top priorities for you currently? I’m of the opinion that the shit is about to hit the actual fan, but I’m not letting my mind allow me to withdraw my 401k and spend it on goats and a bunker just yet.

Last edited:
I’m in a position where supplemental income is basically non-existent. I can afford to live on what I make and I’m allowed one sizeable purchase a month (about $600) so as to not go into debt or dig into my savings.

I’m technically CHOOSING to live this way because I’ve decided to NOT deduct my 401k contributions (about $950/month), I’m ‘double covered’ on health insurance (VA and through work @$150/month), and I bought a ‘dream’ property I never could have imagined I ever could have made work, but I’m going on a year and am still cash positive (but VERY slightly).

My list is a little different from most where I now own a VERY small farm/homestead. You’re allowed to post as many times as you want to update your needs.

This is meant as a thread to get everyone thinking about maybe something they missed in their preps, or maybe need to pay a little more attention to and plan to buy in the future, maybe introduce someone to something that could be a good fit for them to survive what’s coming.

I’ll start (no shit, Sherlock) with my current top 5, but again, add as few or as many as you’d like.

1. Farm/land clearing equipment (minimum $600/month going to my tractor payment and usually a decent sum of other income spent on smaller items like maintenance for my chainsaw/tractor/truck/lawnmower.)

2. Extra food/feed for everyone (myself, my dog and my two black angus steers.) I’m trying to buy a little more than I need every week until my freezer is full of chicken, pork and fish…because right now I’m not harvesting or growing any of that)

3. Ammo. No shit. It should be on everyone’s list here and it’s probably as cheap as it will be for the foreseeable future right now. I can’t buy much while I’m paying for my tractor, but even a few boxes every time I go to town will add up over time.

4. Gardening supplies/tools/seeds/books. I don’t have a god damn clue what I’m doing in this department, but I’m going to try and figure it out. Society is relatively stable right now, but we’re on a razors edge and could go either way at this point.

5. Home improvement/security related items. Last week I bought security light fixtures for the exterior of my home (motion lights that should be able to detect motion in almost every area surrounding my house). In the next year I want to replace the doors with satellite glass with solid doors or smaller windows up high on the door.

So what say you, NES…what are the top priorities for you currently? I’m of the opinion that the shit is about to hit the actual fan, but I’m not letting my mind allow me to withdraw my 401k and spend it on goats and a bunker just yet.
Canned food, pop tarts… and praying…

I just can’t believe seriously we have a very modern east vs west Germany type Russian situation…. The next war won’t be nuclear.. it’ll be infrastructure attack. Maybe localized/just regional enough to cause just Enough disruption. why in the heck people aren’t panicking now is beyond me..

View: https://youtu.be/FopF04qB_hk

I'll change mine to brunette wig

Better.

OP, I'd honestly just say lots and lots and lots of ammo.

I'm under no illusions. If things get That Bad, we'll all be in a free-fire zone and I don't live out in the woods. I'd need to fight my way to "whatever's next," probably my buddy's place about 4 hours away. So... yeah. Ammo.

My top five are...

1. 7.62x39
2. 7.62 NATO
3. 5.56 (55-gr)
4. .303 British
5. 9mm

If you can become self reliant enough before something bad happens, you might not ever even notice it.

Also learn how to repare a tractor tire

I've been consuming old items my long-term food stash and replacing with new items and a better sense of the expiration dates (which I never had a problem going past). I recently bought a cast-iron rocket stove which I thought would be great for stovetop cooking without using gas fuel. Currently looking for a good solar power bank for USB items.

Been playing that game long enough to know that the chances of SHTF on a global scale is a remote possibility.

Nail down your immediate and short term needs and goals first.
When you're confident in that go longer timelines items and projects.

Outside forces will tend to dictate things so try to stay ahead of where local, regional, and national laws and regulations are headed.
Plan accordingly.

Durable goods hold value against inflation. So extra hand implements and spare parts for machinery are investments.
Even spare car or truck parts like belts, hoses, rotors, pads, oil filters can save money and get you out of a jam.

Certain skills are always good to have. First Aid? Advanced Aid? Reloading? Ham Radio? Basic auto repair? Carpentry? Plumbing?Electrical?
Basic agriculture? What to plant, where to plant, when to plant.
You'll figure it out. It's a journey.

For those on a limited budget, (like me) here are my suggestions:

1. A good hand pump or gravity water filter. Don’t go cheap here. Research and buy a quality one.

2. Food grade buckets and Mylar bags to store dry good such as rice, beans, pasta, powdered milk, etc.

3. You likely have enough guns. Shoot for 1,000 round for your primary rifle and a few hundred for you favorite pistol caliber. 200 shotgun shells for hunting, home defense, etc.

4. A source of heat if you plan to stay home (bug in) when it happens. A wood stove if you own your own home and maybe a kerosine heater if you rent.

5. Home security items. Plywood for first floor windows, some 2x4 to secure doors. Some surplus sandbags to be filled at a later date are good for blocking doors, soaking up lead and such.

Be realistic, start small and take it from there. If you rip through a 30 round magazine and the threat isn’t eliminated by either death or retreat, you are likely screwed anyway.

Rifle, access to safe water, and good soil for a garden. Live in an area where you have some protection from stupid lib policies, can hunt/ fish and at least grow potatoes. Energy is my biggest issue. Loss of electricity is a game changer.
Oh, and....
Lube
Nair
Duct tape
Stun gun
Blonde wig

Trying to get together enough meds for me and the kids. It’s kinda hard to ask the doc for a laundry list of antibiotics and viral meds for prepping😂😂

Whats the use of having thousands of rounds and food to the rafters if you die of a common infection. So I’m getting my poop in a group with Meds
I'm sure with some googling I could find some videos/suggestions on this, but I would prefer any solid first had experience people may have here on obtaining prescription type meds (antibiotics, antivirals, stronger pain meds, possibly diabetic supplys, etc).

Rifle, access to safe water, and good soil for a garden. Live in an area where you have some protection from stupid lib policies, can hunt/ fish and at least grow potatoes. Energy is my biggest issue. Loss of electricity is a game changer.
Oh, and....
Lube
Nair
Duct tape
Stun gun
Blonde wig

Nah. You're in MT; nature is your duct tape.

I'm sure with some googling I could find some videos/suggestions on this, but I would prefer any solid first had experience people may have here on obtaining prescription type meds (antibiotics, antivirals, stronger pain meds, possibly diabetic supplys, etc).
If you take prescribed medication regularly, most of the time it’s a 3 month supply when you refill. It is for me at least.

If shit was getting really bad, I would ask my doctor for a longer supply and maybe a couple other things. I know he would have no problem writing me for a couple z packs or whatever. Oxy would be a different story though.

Better.

OP, I'd honestly just say lots and lots and lots of ammo.

I'm under no illusions. If things get That Bad, we'll all be in a free-fire zone and I don't live out in the woods. I'd need to fight my way to "whatever's next," probably my buddy's place about 4 hours away. So... yeah. Ammo.

My top five are...

1. 7.62x39
2. 7.62 NATO
3. 5.56 (55-gr)
4. .303 British
5. 9mm
What’s the 9mm for, to get free drinks at ladies night? [rofl]

What’s the 9mm for, to get free drinks at ladies night? [rofl]

That, or barter.

I figure I can trade it for booze, because all the hipsters who've been buying up all the good scotch will also be carrying 9mm. If they get uppity about my offer, I'll just use my .45 to convince them. ;)

Currently my disposable income that I use for this purpose is split between:
LTS food
ammo and components
optics
hand tools and implements
reconfiguring storage areas

A whole house generator is on the short list of infrastructure improvements.
I'm reluctant to get into chickens or livestock even though our lot is really only suitable for those things, as opposed to dirt farming.

Currently my disposable income that I use for this purpose is split between:
LTS food
ammo and components
optics
hand tools and implements
reconfiguring storage areas

A whole house generator is on the short list of infrastructure improvements.
I'm reluctant to get into chickens or livestock even though our lot is really only suitable for those things, as opposed to dirt farming.
I think a lot of people overestimate their ability to live off a veggie garden. It takes a lot of work and land to really get more than supplemental nutrition from a garden. It’s also impossible to hide that much garden so you would need round the clock security

Not if stored in Mylar with 02 absorbers. It’s not just fun to snort, you can get laid with it, barter and use it as local anesthesia. Great for numbing up before removing genital warts at home. (I imagine)
I think NES just discovered the ultimate prepper item to hoard for the apocalypse.

Last edited:
Not if stored in Mylar with 02 absorbers. It’s not just fun to snort, you can get laid with it, barter and use it as local anesthesia. Great for numbing up before removing genital warts at home. (I imagine)
I imagine that works way better than trying to use a 2 year old half tube of anbesol and the scissors from a Swiss army knife. Probably..

Back
Top Bottom