What are you doing, GunBroker sellers?

It’s about sellers’ safety. PayPal is not scam proof. Postal money order is final.

At the FFL I use typically, they do everything they can not to take a CC, ie charging something like 7% more and really trying to persuade you against it - and also require payment in full for ordering. It is a pain compared to other shops that have layaway plans at 20% and will similarly order anything with that deposit via cc.

End result is I don't even bother with buying guns from them, I just use their ultra friendly transfer policy. Saves me a ride to bring the cash over, let's me do my own shopping, and costs the same.

These sellers on gunbroker must look at things the same. Your choice, do business or not. If enough people object to the concept it will drive prices down for those willing to put up with it.

Ok, but even if they don’t want to use PP, can’t they just accept a credit/debit? The chargebacks are usually included in price anyway.
The credit card fee is.

It is not possible to include the cost of giving all the money back to the buyer in the price unless you aggregate over a large sample set.

I had to sell a few. They weren't moving locally (bigger, more expensive items). Used "Square". Just told the buyer that if paying by C/C to add the 3%. Easy enough. They wanted the item sooner; I wanted cash in hand sooner.

Not sure what all this fuss is about. I go into my LGS, ask for the cash price, plop down some dead presidents/inventors, and leave with a gun.

All this from a guy with a 37.5% transaction failure rate for FTF w/other NESr’s...that puts him at 62.5% success rate, so a D-. I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone with a rating so low since I’ve been here.

I think I can see where the problem is. OP might be the nicest guy on the planet, but some people just need to learn some manners and understand that not everybody wants their transactions floating through cyberspace for all of Russia/China (and Hillary) to see.

cash in hand is a good thing. remembering back, last time i tried to get cash from my paypal it took a while. a live check was almost 2 weeks, electronic transfer to an account, close to 5 business days. the only time i use it is when i pay my nes fee every year. i don't sell on gunbroker but use ebay on occasion and i want a money order if i can get it. my rule of thumb there is if i have an easy to sell item and the buyer is crying about me not using paypal, i politely tell them to take a hike. if my item is a tough sell, i'll break down and accept paypal. sooo.....yeah, life's not fair and i'm a prick.
Your post reminds me that anytime an eBay buyer has a complaint it opens up a huge can of worms. I was sellig some car parts on eBay a few years ago and a buyer didn't read the listing and then filed a complaint when the part wasn't what she thought it was. Took me 6 weeks and hours of time to resolve the situation. eBay treated me like a scammer until they finally ruled in my favor. eBay could actually go into your PayPal account and debit the disputed amount leaving you on the hook. Now they have spun off PayPal so I don't think they can do that any more.

eBay treated me like a scammer until they finally ruled in my favor.
i've only had to engage ebay once, for having my ebay account hacked into, and was very satisfied on how they responded. i'm not defending ebay but i'm sure they have to...excuse the cliche... err on the side of caution. i would guess they sort through thousands of disputes a month and have heard it all.

Paypal can just decide to hold your money for violating the terms of service.... which is anything "Guns". There is always some moron who puts a notation that it's gun related and that is all it takes for PP to seize your money.
I take checks, money orders and/or cc.

When it comes right down to it, one party has to give control to the other unless an independent escrow agent is used. When you insist on chageback-proof payments, you a telling the buyer "trust me with no recourse" but, of course, the buyer who insists on paying with credit card protection is doing the same to the seller. The question is who is going to blink, or will both just walk away?

I remember when a buyer I knew had a large shipment (a few tens of $K) of printing coming from a vender in Indonesia. There was a typo in the printing, but it was still being accepted as it was a de minimus error.

Final negotiations after delivery of a few sample copies went like this:

Seller: The shipment is ready, wire me the money.
Buyer: I'll pay with Amex
Seller: I need a wire
Buyer: I have no recourse if the printing does not arrive if I wire money, but I do if I pay with Amex. If you want a wire, ship the books and the money will be wired within one day of receiving them.
Seller: I need a wire to ship the order
Buyer: If those are your terms you can keep the printing, as I am not tendering non-recourse payment.

The seller blinked.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom