What are you cooking for the Pandemic?

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
It may sound weird, but kimchi and pancakes goes great together. Seriously
kimchi goes great with EVERYTHING

Anyone here make their own kimchi? I tried once. Was horribly disappointed. Found a korean restaurant that will sell you their kimchi (and supposedly other veggies) in takeout containers.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Anyone here make their own kimchi? I tried once. Was horribly disappointed. Found a korean restaurant that will sell you their kimchi (and supposedly other veggies) in takeout containers.
I did. Not as good as what I get from the Korean grocery in New Haven. And I did it in my little office refrigerator and was never able to get the smell out of it. (Fridge died years ago and is long gone.)

MassPete

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Tonight is blackened Cajun striper fillet .
Got one big fillet left from last years striper trip.
Try olive oil and Paul Prudhomme's Salmon seasoning on your striped bass and cook it directly on the grill. Pull it when it's not quite done and wrap it in tinfoil to let it rest. Then thank me later. :)

fat paul.jpg

LuvDog

NES Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0

yup... had to do it as a kid because there weren’t any Korean groceries or restaurants anywhere near us growing up. You have to do it in large batches to make it work right. I don’t even bother anymore, just buy it.

silversquirrel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have the fixings for some jumbalaya, either tonight or tomorrow, depends how beat I am after my long overdue yardwork today.
Skipping the seafood, only chicken and andouille.

BBQ.Uncle

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That looks awesome! I would have never thought to put peaches on French toast. What a great idea!!!
Thanks! Yeah, butter, syrup, peaches or other fruit. Sometimes bananas if you can get them.

I pulled these peaches from our preps. Expiration was at the end of 18, but the can looked fine and they tasted great.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Irish Bangers and Mash, with the required onion gravy!

1590364763809.png

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I failed to get a picture tonight but dinner was really good. I made a Spicy Pork and asparagus stir fry with cauliflower rice.

Ingredients
  • 1 pound asparagus
  • 1 tablespoon avocado oil, ghee, or cooking fat of choice
  • 1 large shallot, finely chopped
  • Diamond Crystal brand kosher salt
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 pound ground pork, ground turkey (not the super lean stuff), or your favorite ground protein
  • 2 red jalapenos, 2 Fresno peppers, or 2 Thai chilies, seeded and diced, OR 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons coconut aminos*
  • 1 tablespoon rice vinegar* (you can sub balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar)
  • 2 teaspoons fish sauce*
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil*
  • 2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
(I don't use the rice vinegar, fish sauce or sesame oil and it comes out good anyway)

Instructions
  1. Grab your asparagus and get chopping! Start by trimming the tough ends off. I keep the thick rubber bands on the asparagus, spy where the ends morph from green to whitish (the tough part), and slice through the whole bundle at that point. (The method where you snap each piece of asparagus to find the “breaking point” is both tedious and unnecessary.)
  2. Next, discard the tough ends in the compost bin and slice the asparagus crosswise into ½-inch thick coins, down to the tips.I just snap the asparagus into short lengths. No need to chop.
  3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. When the pan is hot, swirl in the cooking fat so you have a thin layer of fat coating the bottom.
  4. As soon as the fat is shimmering, toss in the shallots and a sprinkle of salt.
  5. Cook, stirring, for a couple minutes or until the shallots are softened.
  6. Toss in the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
  7. Add the ground pork and break it up with spatula.
  8. Sprinkle on some salt and increase the heat to medium-high.
  9. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until no longer pink.
  10. Toss in the asparagus coins and minced chilies, and cook until the asparagus are tender-crisp, about 2 minutes.
  11. Stir in the coconut aminos, rice vinegar, fish sauce, and sesame oil. (You can measure out the seasonings ahead of time in a small bowl, and then dump everything in all at once.) Got a jar of All-Purpose Stir-Fry Sauce in the fridge? Use ¼ cup of it in place of the coconut aminos, rice vinegar, fish sauce, and toasted sesame oil!
  12. Turn off the heat and taste a bite. If necessary, adjust the seasoning to your liking.
  13. Toss in the scallions and holler at your family to get to the table!
Where I got the recipe
Spicy Pork and Asparagus Stir-Fry (Whole30, Keto) - Nom Nom Paleo®

FYI, I use Evernote (free version) to keep all my recipes. You can have it on 2 devices without charge. This comes in handy when I realize I want to make something from my recipes and I need to make sure I buy all the ingredients and somehow managed to NOT put everything on my grocery list.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Just some "leftovers" we stocked up when this was all starting up. Hamburger Helper for me. Husband had some Pesto Chicken from the other night.

MassPete

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ok, smoked some baby back ribs and chicken wings yesterday. Did everything perfect. The wings were incredible. Brined them for 22 hours in a Brown Sugar/ Goya Adobo and water mix. Smoked at 225 for 2 hours on the wings, 4 1/2 on the ribs. Sprayed hourly with Apple juice. Wrapped the ribs for the last hour. Internal rib temp was 192. Wings were awesome, ribs were on the dry side. Did the 3/1/..1/2 on the ribs. Next time will do 2/2/1/2... Any constructive criticism is welcome. Used Hickory chunks soaked in Apple Juice and water on the Weber Smokey Mountain. Again, Wings were awesome!!! No sauce needed...rib.JPG

Top Bottom