What are you cooking for the Pandemic?

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
For those of you who freeze meat for longer term storage, do you unwrap and then vacuum seal the meat, or does it go into the deep as is?
I have a chamber vacuum sealer. I freeze in vacuum bags for a single meal. When we had a larger freezer I would buy up to a years meat as it went on sale. So italian sausage for a year used to be about 200 sausages. I would freeze them 4 at a time. Now I freeze them 3 to a pack. When chicken thighs went on sale I would buy as many as I could get and freeze them up 4 or 6 to a pack. I think my signature has a link to a thread about vacuum sealers.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
For those of you who freeze meat for longer term storage, do you unwrap and then vacuum seal the meat, or does it go into the deep as is?
I just bought one last week, but from what I have see, you want to get the air/moisture out to avoid freezer burn, so I would definitely remove it from the package. Chicken breasts get cut up into strips, and then a meals worth or a little more for leftovers get put into individual bags, then marinaded. Put them in the fridge for about 24 hours, then into the freezer.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Getting frustrated about meat availability.
I mean, if the restaurants aren’t doing business, even with C19closures, we should have plentiful meat.

This reminds me of the rice shortage of 07 or 08 - someone is hoarding the meat in some massive freezers hoping to make a big buck later. That will turn around to bite them and they should be beaten by members of the free market system as well.

grey

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Getting frustrated about meat availability.
I mean, if the restaurants aren’t doing business, even with C19closures, we should have plentiful meat.

This reminds me of the rice shortage of 07 or 08 - someone is hoarding the meat in some massive freezers hoping to make a big buck later. That will turn around to bite them and they should be beaten by members of the free market system as well.
There is definitely plentiful meat. It seems the distribution system is the problem if I was to guess. More demand at grocery stores, less a restaurant supply. It's difficult for the industry to pivot this fast and in so many directions

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
There is definitely plentiful meat. It seems the distribution system is the problem if I was to guess. More demand at grocery stores, less a restaurant supply. It's difficult for the industry to pivot this fast and in so many directions
no real problems here with meat supply

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
BJ's had a "one beef, one chicken, one pork" limit the other day. TannyHanny seemed better stocked this AM when my wife went. It's bad when I'm trying to determine how much freezer space I might actually have to get a pile of chicken parts to go deep on. (I don't have enough.)

But I'm tempted to head to WM tomorrow and grab 2 whole packer briskets. Cook one. Grind the other.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Making Chicken Makhani, or Butter Chicken for the Brits. I read somewhere a month back that it was their national dish being that India was a colony and they have a large Indian Population. Can't find any reference to that today. Anyways, I've always love Indian food. I have an Indian cook book and I have made this dish from scratch but it is a huge PITA (for me anyways). Nowadays, I can get the seasoning in a packet at my local stop and shop and it's much easier. I will post a photo of the finished product later if I can.

Dadstoys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I take it out of the store packaging and then vac seal. If the meat looks juicy, I'll put it in the freezer first for a couple of hours so the juices stay in the meat and not getting sucked out. That can make a mess if it gets inside the vac unit.
These things work great too.
View: https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-1-Quart-Liquid-Block-Heat-Seal/dp/B00851QSDE/ref=sr_1_1?crid=PDSMEGWTERHB&dchild=1&keywords=food+saver+barrier+bags&qid=1590103641&sprefix=food+saver+barr%2Caps%2C173&sr=8-1

dans

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Tonight...Grilled sea scallops over angel hair & peas Alfredo.
I made Scallops in a saffron cream sauce one night for my wife. She insisted on having it regularly from then on. One night we went out to a fairly highly regarded Italian restaurant in the are and this was the special. She ordered it, ate it, and declared that mine was better. She did that a lot - not that I'm bragging.

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Top Bottom