What are you cooking for the Pandemic?

vickers

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since everyone is home for dinner every night which hasn't been the case since the kids were little, I have been trying to make some good meals for dinner. Tacos on Tuesday has been a thing every week and we have been picking up Chinese on Fridays but I have been cooking various things most other nights.

I have also made some marinated pork chops in the style my Portuguese grandmother would make or roasted chicken or pork using the same marinade.

My Portuguese vinho d'alho recipe
  • 3 or 4 cloves of fresh garlic sliced or chopped ( I have used dried garlic flakes or just garlic salt/powder depending )
  • 1/2 onion chopped
  • 1 tbsp paprika ( I only use it for chicken )
  • Salt or to taste ( I just usually crank the pink himalayan grinder a few times )
  • Black peppercorns to taste (I hate them so don't use them but they are traditional )
  • A small pour of a quality olive oil ( I don't typically like Portuguese olive oil but it is obviously traditional )
  • 1 cup vinegar ( any kind is fine but I use red wine if possible )
  • 1 cup cooking wine ( white or read depending on meat )
  • Splash of lemon juice
  • Minced crushed red pepper to taste for desired spicyness ( Pastene or a Portuguese brand if you can find it )
I usually put the meat in a bag and then dump all the ingredients in and mush it around in the bag and then refrigerate for a few hours at a minimum or overnight depending.

For a whole chicken or Pork roast I use a tupperware marinating container and slather it with a mix of the oil and dry ingredients and then sprinkle the garlic and onion on top and put the whole container in the fridge.

You can use some of the marindade as a base for a gravy but a little goes a long way. If I am pan frying steaks I usually pour some in the pan and make a reduction to pour over the steaks.

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I bought some canned sliced potatoes to make Delmonico pots. It's easier than peeling and slicing enough potatoes to make a casserole and not expensive at all.

(one casserole) recipe:

2 cans sliced pots
1 small/medium chopped onion
flour
butter slices
cheddar cheese
pepper
milk

I left off the quantities of the last 5, just add enough to lightly cover each layer and add the milk last to come up to 3/4 full of the casserole dish.

Butter the bottom of the casserole (referred to cr from here on) and sides to prevent sticking.

Add enough sliced pots to cover the bottom of the cr.
add a sprinkle of flour to cover pots (maybe a tablespoon or a little more).
add small cubes of cheddar cheese.
add 1/3 of the chopped onion
add small slices of butter over all.
grind some fresh pepper over all.

Repeat so that you have 3 layers total and use all of the 2 cans of pots.

add milk to 3/4 full of cr.

If you want some crust, sprinkle seasoned bread crumbs over the top. Bake at 375 40+ minutes till top is browning.

I am only cooking for me these days. I ate about 1/4 of this casserole and after covering and putting it in the fridge, remembered that I have been wanting potato salad for weeks and would not go buy it at the market. Guess what? Delmonico pots cold is GREAT potato salad!

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
What does Choice or Prime ribeye go for a pound where you live ?
No idea. Not sure what grade I bought. I know that's hard to believe since I am so picky about my food but I don't pay attention to "meat grades." I will say that at Kroger (much like MB up there) sells rib eye on sale at $5.99/lb (boneless) and sometimes less. I don't buy beef cuts at WholeFoods or Central Market (similar to WF) as most all their meat is priced much more than the same product at Kroger. Example - ground pork at Kroger is probably $3-$4/lb normally and it's $6-$7/lb at WF. Central Market does tend to have more "premium" cuts of meat than WF but I don't shop there often, just when I need certain items that only they carry here. I will try to check that out next time I go shopping and get back to you. One of the things you can't buy here, so far as I have found in nearly 5 years, is what we call "steak tips." Y'all know what I am talking about. Down here, it's as if they never heard of it although restaurants might sell them. (not an item I look for at restaurants the few times I have been out to eat here)

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I see some awesome meals here being posted by the guys. If y'all are the ones cooking (even if you just prepare the meat dishes), I applaud you. I know so many men who don't cook, who can't cook for the life of them. Most of my friends think it's odd that whenever we get together as a family, if we are at one of my brother's houses, it usually means they (the brother) is the one who planned, shopped for (maybe) and cooked the meal. Of course, our mom was always a cook, though she was never home for dinner! so we all learned how to cook at some point despite the fact my dad claimed "cooking is women's work."

LuvDog

NES Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I do all the cooking in our house... it works for us because I like to cook and its easy for me. My wife needs to follow a recipe to the letter and I just wing it. So it's just harder for her and she's not very good at it.

Since I do all the cooking, I also do the shopping. I don't plan menus in advance, I usually scan for what is on sale and looks good, and then plan our meals around that. I find that it keeps costs down... most budget/money savings tips will tell you to make a list and stick to it, but why would I buy chicken breast when it's $3-$4 / lb just because it was on my list? I'd rather buy it when it's $1.50-$1.90 / lb on sale and then cook a bunch of chicken dishes that week.

So I do the cooking and she clears that table after meals.

Greg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
No idea. Not sure what grade I bought. I know that's hard to believe since I am so picky about my food but I don't pay attention to "meat grades." I will say that at Kroger (much like MB up there) sells rib eye on sale at $5.99/lb (boneless) and sometimes less. I don't buy beef cuts at WholeFoods or Central Market (similar to WF) as most all their meat is priced much more than the same product at Kroger. Example - ground pork at Kroger is probably $3-$4/lb normally and it's $6-$7/lb at WF. Central Market does tend to have more "premium" cuts of meat than WF but I don't shop there often, just when I need certain items that only they carry here. I will try to check that out next time I go shopping and get back to you. One of the things you can't buy here, so far as I have found in nearly 5 years, is what we call "steak tips." Y'all know what I am talking about. Down here, it's as if they never heard of it although restaurants might sell them. (not an item I look for at restaurants the few times I have been out to eat here)
If i seen good cuts of ribeye for $5.00 a lb i would buy a chest freezer and buy 200 lbs lol

Cheapest i have seen on sale is $10.00 a pound for some not so well marbled choice, generally its around $12-$15

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Had kielbasa and onion cooked into scrambled eggs. Used to work with a Polish guy (like immigrated from Poland at the age of 50) and he told me this was a "very typical" dish. I guess it's kind of the equivalent of a sausage and egg scramble or a western omelette or something like that.
Last night we decided it was a fend for yourselves leftover night. I found some leftover peppers and onions from prior fajitas, so I tossed them in a pan and cut up some kielbasa and tossed it in as well. Lil cheese and some mustard and toss it on a plate. It was fantastic.

If i seen good cuts of ribeye for $5.00 a lb i would buy a chest freezer and buy 200 lbs lol

Cheapest i have seen on sale is $10.00 a pound for some not so well marbled choice, generally its around $12-$15
Steak is dirt cheap in Texas! I spent a single night in Texas at my aunts house about 7 years ago. They had a pile of ribeyes, that were some of the best steak ive ever had that were something like $3 a lb.

Salyeica

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
One of the things you can't buy here, so far as I have found in nearly 5 years, is what we call "steak tips." Y'all know what I am talking about. Down here, it's as if they never heard of it.
Same out here. The local shop suggested tri-tip as an alternative, since that's the closest thing they have to what we call steak tips back east. I did some reading, and what I found is that the meat traditionally used for steak tips is flap meat. Fortunately, I found some labeled as carne asada meat and grabbed it. The tri-tip is tasty as well.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I do all the cooking in our house... it works for us because I like to cook and its easy for me. My wife needs to follow a recipe to the letter and I just wing it. So it's just harder for her and she's not very good at it.

Since I do all the cooking, I also do the shopping. I don't plan menus in advance, I usually scan for what is on sale and looks good, and then plan our meals around that. I find that it keeps costs down... most budget/money savings tips will tell you to make a list and stick to it, but why would I buy chicken breast when it's $3-$4 / lb just because it was on my list? I'd rather buy it when it's $1.50-$1.90 / lb on sale and then cook a bunch of chicken dishes that week.

So I do the cooking and she clears that table after meals.
I actually buy meats on sale and some other things that will last in the fridge or freezer. I do make a menu but will also look at what's on sale for produce that week. So menu might say bone in thighs with veg, another night will call for salad, etc. My shopping list might say veg for 3 nights plus other specified veggies. Or my list might list my meals and I buy veg depending on what I see at the market that looks good. And I usually know if there is any room in my freezer and what meat items might be getting "low" in case I find it on sale. And ALWAYS if I see rib eyes or the pork chops I love on sale, I'm buying!

ETA: chicken salad from previously home canned chicken and salad.

Last edited:

vickers

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some awesome meals here being posted by the guys. If y'all are the ones cooking (even if you just prepare the meat dishes), I applaud you. I know so many men who don't cook, who can't cook for the life of them. Most of my friends think it's odd that whenever we get together as a family, if we are at one of my brother's houses, it usually means they (the brother) is the one who planned, shopped for (maybe) and cooked the meal. Of course, our mom was always a cook, though she was never home for dinner! so we all learned how to cook at some point despite the fact my dad claimed "cooking is women's work."
I do almost all of the cooking at home. My mom and grandmother were both awesome cooks and I grew up with an appreciation for good meals. My wife's family, not so much, so with the exception of her red gravy and eggplant parm which she learned to make from her Italian grandmother she isn't super creative in the kitchen.

Not to mention that I work from home quite a bit, obviously 100% for now, so I am home to start cooking most nights anyway.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
That was delivered almost 10 years ago. It does have some mileage as I smoke year round with it. I scrape the crud off the roof with the hose every time I vacuum out the ash. I bought the Nomex gasket kit. It's the first Egg I bought. Number 2 lives in Maine.
Overall I'm very happy with them so a 9/10. This one has a crack in the inner liner and it's covered under warranty problem is I have to pay for pallet shipping at est 100.00. My dealer is not at fault for holding off on placing an order knowing what's happening outside. That's the thing that doesn't make me very happy. I'll work with another dealer who may make something happen but I don't know.
I'm not happy about how the dealers were impacted in having their territory protected by BGE. They really screwed these guys over when sales were opened up to Ace Hardware.

The price is higher than others on the surface. In fact by the time everything is said and done BGE is about 200 more so it's not a big deal on a big ticket item.
Take a look at Primo. They have an oval model that would work much better for racks of ribs due to the shape.
Look at the large only size or larger in the BGE line.

The learning curve was a little slow but I can run it in my sleep now and have helped a couple of friends with their Eggs to the point they are also comfortable. One has a medium that he swears at due to the size.

I'd buy a 3rd if I broke one of these.

Salyeica

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
For those of you who freeze meat for longer term storage, do you unwrap and then vacuum seal the meat, or does it go into the deep as is?

slap shot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Thanks to the Zatarain’s recommendations. I’ve made the red beans and rice, jambalaya and dirty rice with assorted sausage meat, ground beef and chicken. Awesome every time. It’s in the rotation now. 👍

BBQ.Uncle

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
BBQ pork & vegetable stir fry tonight.

Smoked pork loin, sliced & then added to mushrooms, celery, & scallions, over jasmine rice & a Soy sauce/Ponzu dressing.

I have zero experience making Asian food, but we were craving Wu & I can do Q, so we tried something new. Oh. And I had a brew. Or two.

A639429B-3B20-4093-AB54-4E9526CF2398.jpeg

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For those of you who freeze meat for longer term storage, do you unwrap and then vacuum seal the meat, or does it go into the deep as is?
I take it out of the store packaging and then vac seal. If the meat looks juicy, I'll put it in the freezer first for a couple of hours so the juices stay in the meat and not getting sucked out. That can make a mess if it gets inside the vac unit.

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BBQ pork & vegetable stir fry tonight.

Smoked pork loin, sliced & then added to mushrooms, celery, & scallions, over jasmine rice & a Soy sauce/Ponzu dressing.

I have zero experience making Asian food, but we were craving Wu & I can do Q, so we tried something new. Oh. And I had a brew. Or two.

View attachment 358612
Good for you! [cheers]

peterk123

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So I have been getting a bit more bold with my bread making of late. Starting to stray from recipes to learn what happens to bread as I tweak things. So I took my no knead recipe and kneaded it. Also, instead if a 1/4 tsp of instant yeast, I did a full teaspoon. After passing the window pane test, I waited 20 minutes and did a fold. Did it again after another 20 minutes. Let it rise for a few hours then shaped it. Put in the fridge overnight. Took it out the next morning and the thing was huge. Oh boy, the fridge is supposed to retard growth. So I knocked it down, and reshaped it, trying to get the skin as tight as possible. Let it rise for a couple of hours. This feakishly large thing will need to go into the large dutch oven. Put a slit into it and into the oven it went. The next new thing I did was to take the cover off the dutch oven after 18 minutes so I could crisp the crust a bit more. Good move. Gotta remember that one.

I forgot to mention that this is a whole wheat bread. By far the fluffiest one I have made so far. Need to put more slits and deeper next time. As you can see from the pic, my crust has cracks.

20200519_161734.jpg

Salyeica

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I have been getting a bit more bold with my bread making of late. Starting to stray from recipes to learn what happens to bread as I tweak things. So I took my no knead recipe and kneaded it. Also, instead if a 1/4 tsp of instant yeast, I did a full teaspoon. After passing the window pane test, I waited 20 minutes and did a fold. Did it again after another 20 minutes. Let it rise for a few hours then shaped it. Put in the fridge overnight. Took it out the next morning and the thing was huge. Oh boy, the fridge is supposed to retard growth. So I knocked it down, and reshaped it, trying to get the skin as tight as possible. Let it rise for a couple of hours. This feakishly large thing will need to go into the large dutch oven. Put a slit into it and into the oven it went. The next new thing I did was to take the cover off the dutch oven after 18 minutes so I could crisp the crust a bit more. Good move. Gotta remember that one.

I forgot to mention that this is a whole wheat bread. By far the fluffiest one I have made so far. Need to put more slits and deeper next time. As you can see from the pic, my crust has cracks.

View attachment 358619
That looks pretty tasty. Cracks = character

10/10 would eat

Salyeica

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It was. I am very impressed with the Blackstone Griddle. It takes some TLC to season it, like a cast iron pan. It's been sitting in my basement for over a year. Finally had the time to fire it up. Gonna be great for a party when this shit is over. Cant wait to do Sausage, Peppers and onions.. And Philly Cheese Steaks. And hopefully some venison tenderloins this fall.. :D
Good to know. I'm thinking of grabbing one of their little one or two burner tabletop ones for beach/camping use.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My roommate was convinced she was making us pot roast in cream of mushroom soup in the crockpot for dinner. When it came to serving, something didn't look right. Turns out it was a pork roast, not a pot roast! Hashtag pandemic memories. She won't be forgetting about this one anytime soon!

"Hey hunny, are we having cheeseburgers tonight? Just make sure you don't grab the pork chops!" [rofl]
My wife filled the salt shaker with sugar and insisted it was salt when I questioned it. Worst steak ever!!

Depends on the original packaging. If it's on one of them styrofoam bins wrapped in plastic wrap, it gets pulled out and vacuum sealed. Smaller pork loin, larger pork butt, or similar that came in it's own airtight package? Into the deep freeze it goes. Bacon will get split into half-pound batches and sealed up that way.

LuvDog

NES Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
That was delivered almost 10 years ago. It does have some mileage as I smoke year round with it. I scrape the crud off the roof with the hose every time I vacuum out the ash. I bought the Nomex gasket kit. It's the first Egg I bought. Number 2 lives in Maine.
Overall I'm very happy with them so a 9/10. This one has a crack in the inner liner and it's covered under warranty problem is I have to pay for pallet shipping at est 100.00. My dealer is not at fault for holding off on placing an order knowing what's happening outside. That's the thing that doesn't make me very happy. I'll work with another dealer who may make something happen but I don't know.
I'm not happy about how the dealers were impacted in having their territory protected by BGE. They really screwed these guys over when sales were opened up to Ace Hardware.

The price is higher than others on the surface. In fact by the time everything is said and done BGE is about 200 more so it's not a big deal on a big ticket item.
Take a look at Primo. They have an oval model that would work much better for racks of ribs due to the shape.
Look at the large only size or larger in the BGE line.

The learning curve was a little slow but I can run it in my sleep now and have helped a couple of friends with their Eggs to the point they are also comfortable. One has a medium that he swears at due to the size.

I'd buy a 3rd if I broke one of these.
when mine looked like that and also needed a new gasket, i did a high temp burn to clean it up. That also made the gasket very easy to remove.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
when mine looked like that and also needed a new gasket, i did a high temp burn to clean it up. That also made the gasket very easy to remove.
The factory gasket is crap. The upgraded one to Nomax is great. It’s going on at least 7 years now and is still solid.
One local shop got pissed off at BGE and brought in the competition and the region guy was a tad upset. Said he was pulling the line from them and their response was FU Get Out!!! Everything in the store was marked 50% off so I bought a really nice cutting board, 2 extra gaskets, a new solid cap and a few other tid bits.

I’ll do a hi temp burn as well, take out all the guts then give it a good scraping and vac.

Top Bottom