What are you cooking for the Pandemic?

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Now that everyone on NES is "responsibly self quarantining" and using their "stored preps", what are you cooking up? [smile]
Share the recipes.

I was supposed to make salsa last weekend but ended up postponing until this weekend.
I make 4x this batch and freeze it in jars. I may try simply vacuum sealing this batch and putting it in my fridge as my freezer space is at a premium right now.

INGREDIENTS:
1/4 large onion diced (see why I do 4x?)
4 Roma Tomatoes, diced
1 tsp+ of minced garlic
1 lime juiced
about 1 tsp sea salt
Hatch Green chilis (recipe calls for 1 can, these are tasteless so I use fresh)
2-3 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped fine

DIRECTIONS (with my changes):
First off you can make this ahead of time and put in fridge, without cooking, for the flavors to "meld."

My cooked version: (and some notes about ingredients)
Roma Tomatoes are preffered as they have less moisture as opposed to other tomatoes. If using other tomatoes and you want a thicker salsa, you will simmer it longer.
I do use lime juice usually
I use "fresh" hatch chilis. There's a period of about 3 weeks down here where you can't go anywhere and NOT see them. They literally set up in grocery store parking lots and fresh roast them and sell them. You can buy and roast your own. Last season I bought and roasted my own and stored some in the freezer for my "next" batch.
This time I also added a jalapeno and roasted and chopped 2 poblano peppers (smoky flavor).
Through this all in the pot, heat up and let simmer until as much liquid is cooked off as you desire.
I like to make mine "chunky" so I hand chop my ingredients. If you like smoother salsa you could use a food blender or food processor instead of chopping.
ETA: I added a chopped jalapeno for a little spice
Storage:
You could pressure can this.
I choose to put my salsa into freezer approved canning jars and freeze it after vacuum sealing it. I am wondering how well it would work if I just vacuum sealed and put in my fridge. Since we don't use this often I may try this with one jar to see how long it stays "good." (ie, won't rot)

I use this salsa as you would any salsa but also to make "spanish rice." I use riced cauliflower for our "spanish rice" but it would work just as well with regular rice.

BOY! It smells SO GOOD here!

Last edited:

LuvDog

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I am making Green Chile Chicken Burritos for myself and a daughter and her family.

It took me over an hour just to pick off the meat from two chickens. And I have some fantastic Bueno, Hot Green Chile.
when is the green Chile under ground railroad going to start? I miss a good green sauce from Santa Fe.

Hetzer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Making tacos for tonight right now, nothing special, just the usual way with Tabasco sauce in it while cooking the meat.

If anyone knows where I can get Old El Paso thick and chunky salsa I’d appreciate it. Southern nh, northeast mass, south shore or metro west areas if possible.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Made my annual from-scratch CBC yesterday. Which meant home made hash this am. Both were great. My pee has the salinity of ocean-water, I would guess. Lol

dans

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Started brining a brisket last week. Cooked it today. Had potatoes, carrots, and cabbage. My family ate it all none left but the potato skins that fell off during cooking.

Top Bottom